PDA

View Full Version : Parent following Gina Ford

RedDragon
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
My (lovely) parents are following Gina Ford regarding potty training.

Obviously I want to follow what they are doing.

Should I buy the book (only a couple of quid from Amazon) or is it easy for me just to do what they ask each day?

By the way Gina Ford took Netmums to court because of nasty things written by forum members so only constructive criticism please-don't want to get Pauline into trouble. :panic:

pinklady
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
At least the parents have a constructive plan of action for potty training...I know many don't!

Can't you ask them to bring their copy of the book each day?

Tired
08-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Although i was totally opposed to Gina Fords baby rearing methods, her potty training book is excellent.

I uses it on my DD and it only took 5 days. I don't know if that is because my DD was ready, or if it was because the method was good.

What I think I'm saying is if it only takes a few days, you wont even have the book delivered in time to use it, so I would just borrow it for an evening, read it (its quite short) and return it to the parents.

good luck

caz3007
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
One of my mums wanted to use the Gina Ford potty training book and she lent it to me before we started, really easy to read and at least you will then all be working along the same lines. Anything else she implemented, rewards and reward charts, she bought along. Actually she was only young and very scatty in lots of ways, but the potty training was extremely well organised

Blackhorse
08-02-2010, 10:46 AM
how does her method actually work? I am wondering if dd might be ready to start potty training and havent got a clue where to start!

mum2two
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree with the others. Ask if you can borrow it to read through, to ensure you are following the same routines/tactics as they are, and not confusing the child.

I'm sure they'd be more than happy, and shows working in partnership with the parents! :thumbsup:

xx

Chell
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
how does her method actually work? I am wondering if dd might be ready to start potty training and havent got a clue where to start!

I could be wrong but I think she basically says you don't leave the house for a few days till you've cracked it. Asda usually have the book s perhaps you could have a flick through there rather than buy it. :p

AliceK
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I could be wrong but I think she basically says you don't leave the house for a few days till you've cracked it. Asda usually have the book s perhaps you could have a flick through there rather than buy it. :p

Hmmm, I was thinking this sounded like a good idea, I used her contented baby book for my DD when she was little and am thinking of potty training her in a couple of months time, but, not being able to leave the house???? That wouldn't work. How would I do the school and nursery runs. So I guess that idea's out the window then :panic:

xxxxx

Pudding Girl
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Twas Mumsnet she sued actually but anyway... :)

I had no idea she had a potty training book but if it advocates the parents taking time off and staying in to do it then I'm all ears!! Wish they all would follow it :rolleyes:

pinklady
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I had no idea she had a potty training book but if it advocates the parents taking time off and staying in to do it then I'm all ears!! Wish they all would follow it :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

AliceK
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Twas Mumsnet she sued actually but anyway... :)

Unless the parents expect US to stay in all day and do it (I don't think so)

xxxxx

Pudding Girl
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Unless the parents expect US to stay in all day and do it (I don't think so)

xxxxx

hmmm I do :rolleyes: :panic:

FizzysFriends
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I'd get it out of the library, haven't read it my self so can't comment on the method.

Cammie Doodle
08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, I was thinking this sounded like a good idea, I used her contented baby book for my DD when she was little and am thinking of potty training her in a couple of months time, but, not being able to leave the house???? That wouldn't work. How would I do the school and nursery runs. So I guess that idea's out the window then :panic:

xxxxx

Could you not try over a weekend and see how that goes? Or do you work weekends too ?

loocyloo
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
when i toilet trained my children ( or any i nannied for ) we stayed in for a few days. if you have read the signs that the child is ready to be toilet trained, then that is more than long enough. personally, if they are not ready, no matter how long you stay home for, isn't going to help!

and generally, with minded children, IF parents have given me a warning that they are going to try toilet training, then i will try and plan a couple of quieter days, but i always ask them to try for at least the weekend, and longer if they can, so that they can see whether their child is ready! i've had parents turn up telling me child is in pants, with no warning, and i say, oh, we are going XYZ today, and then we just do the best we can! so potty and several changes of clothes come long too! i do find it easier once they are out of nappies!

i've never looked at this particular book.