PDA

View Full Version : soft play GRRRRR

Pudding Girl
12-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Braved going out with the twins for the first time today yay!! :clapping: they were really really well behaved :littleangel: went to Brewsters Soft Play, got there about 10am and there were only two other "lots" there, so good and quiet for our first trip out together, got them untogged, and we went to order a drink, they stood by my side holding hands while we ordered bless! :littleangel:
Then we went for a play, while our drinks and toast came over, had those, sat at table and ate it all ( and tried to eat mine too, gerrof!) went for another play, and some other group had gone in, older ones, about 4 probably, and they were hogging one connection through the play area, and wouldn't let C through, shouting at her to go away they didn't want her, and started poking her in the tummy and made her cry - well I saw RED! :angry: no-one hurts my baby!! ( isn't it amazing how quickly the protective instinct comes in?!)
Of course it was in the furthest ****** corner there could be, and me not being slim had to fight my way through lol, what a sight! gave the horrible children evil glares, told C to come and play with F and I, and not play with nasty children ;)

Of course the mums were nowhere to see all this, too busy sitting on their a**es drinking lattes, and gossiping FFS blissfully unaware at their little angels bullying other children

Why take your child somewhere to play and not dig in with them? and why the hell not keep an eye out!

littlestar
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
i agree wots the point in taking the kids to play if you aint gonna play with them seems like it was an outing for the mums and just convience that there was something to occupy the kids

Michelle M
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
i agree wots the point in taking the kids to play if you aint gonna play with them seems like it was an outing for the mums and just convience that there was something to occupy the kids

Totally agree with you. This happens too often. At our local softplay it has been taken over by childminders on a certain morning end even then some of them just sit down chatting :(

sarah707
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I do a singing group some weeks and some of the mums sit there talking over the singing... if I sing louder, they just talk louder to be heard! I feel like telling them to shut up! :laughing:

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Maybe its your singing Sarah haha

Kidding

Angel xx

Michelle M
12-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Thats very rude of them :mad:

Michelle xx

jumpinjen
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I know how you feel, i go to a lovely play area with two friends and our respective broods and it is really nice to watch them play so nicely together.

BUT on Monday there were twin boys who were being violent and aggressive towards them, and hurt two of them. Their mum was nowhere to be seen so I gave them a ticking off.... fully expecting said irate parent to stomp over and tell ME off but she hadn't even noticed.... :mad: it happened a further twice and they were told off twice more before they got the hint that they ccouldn't push our children of the top of the steps and get away with it... it did take the shine off a little!

Jen x

Annie_T
12-03-2008, 11:23 PM
i hate kids like that, i do same glare evils :rolleyes: and say soemthign to my kids bout bullies- have had one child run telling their mum but she just did nothing (what a surprise huh)

its alwasy worse when its a child your looking after that get bullied or hurt in anyway too

emler
13-03-2008, 07:18 AM
We were at a soft play centre on Monday and some of the mums amazed me! They sat with their backs to their children drinking coffee and chatting away and the kids were left to get on with it.

Emler x

miffy
13-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I think it's amazing how people can take their children out but NOT want to do anything with them

I wonder if it's something to do with the fact they've paid for it so shouldn't have to put any more effort into it

Miffy xx

Splish Splosh
13-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Yes i think so miffy, but it goes on a lot and puts you off wanting to go to these places doesnt it?

Tatia
13-03-2008, 09:15 AM
It's universal. I run a drop-in group on Friday mornings and right before Mother's Day, we had all these lovely bits for making cards, and there 2 of us were sat, me with a baby and a 2 year, the other lady with 2 2 years olds, all covered in paint, making hand prints and footprints, having agreat time. Another little guy came over and wanted to join in so I called to the mum (who was - what else?- drinking coffee and chatting) that he wanted to do a card but she never came round to help him. Eventually, she may have put half an effort into it. I heard from another parent later that she was miffed because we excluded her son and didn't help him make a card!!! I just explained that I had my hands full with my mindees and we were not there to look after children but to provide quality activities for parents to participate in WITH their kids! :mad:

I will admit, though, to being a parent of a very bossy child. She's not a bully but some parents may see it that way because she tends to take control of situations. Therefore, I am always in the thick of things when we are out playing mostly to avoid embarrassment to myself but also because hey, she's loads more fun a cappaccino!

jmoff
13-03-2008, 09:28 AM
What's wrong about sitting down and chatting to someone?I keep and eye on the kids but if they are happy I am quite happy to chat to other mums/ childminders.Don't you do that?

I do agree, some mums don't even notice their child is beating someone up and it makes me angry.

Jana

yummymummy
13-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I have stopped going to soft play because of problems like this. If you have more than one they go in different direction and it is so hard to keep an eye on all of them. The only time I have sat and chatted is when my little group were all 3 1/2- 4 and more independent. Sat at table right at the front and kept good eye out and they only seemed to come back when hungry or thirsty! But they always seemed to have another child/ren with them who happily sat with us wanting a drink or food whose mother was nowhere to be seen!
I find the same at mums and tods, you always get the ante natal group who barge in, expect the same seats, table week after week, let their children eat and drink whilst playing, spreading it everywhere and only bother when someone brings their child back to them screaming its head off after an accident or fight!!!!!
And who says childminders are the slack ones!!!!!!:laughing:

Tatia
13-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, I enjoy a coffee and chat but if I'm in a situation like the one I mentioned above, then your obligation is to your child. You can't bring them to a drop-in group and expect everyone else to look after him.

Tatia
13-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I hit submit before I had finished. I meant to add that there's nothing wrong with having a chat and allowing the kids freeplay as long as they're getting along, you're keeping a close eye on things and it's not all you ever do.:)

avril
13-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I do a singing group some weeks and some of the mums sit there talking over the singing... if I sing louder, they just talk louder to be heard! I feel like telling them to shut up! :laughing:

I go to a stay and play session with the toy libary at story time if you talk while the story is being read you have to take over reading the story.
It certainly works no one speaks!! :clapping:

Avril x

Pudding Girl
13-03-2008, 12:08 PM
What's wrong about sitting down and chatting to someone?I keep and eye on the kids but if they are happy I am quite happy to chat to other mums/ childminders.Don't you do that?

I do agree, some mums don't even notice their child is beating someone up and it makes me angry.

Jana

you jsut answered your own question there really Jana ;)

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I think that the point of all this is , there is nothing wrong with chatting to other mums/minders as long as you can keep an eye on your child. I like to chat to other minders when we go out but I always make sure that I can see what my children are doing.
I think that children should be encouraged to play independently as long as it's safe and supervised.
In a toddler group situation I will always do the craft on offer with any of mine that want to. I then let them choose what they want to do, I then will sit and chat BUT I keep a constant eye on my children.

Rubybubbles
13-03-2008, 02:44 PM
oh yes know what your saying I'm afraid I go up to the parent and politey tell them the problem and if they don;t sort it out I will:o

No one starts on my kids or they'll get it:laughing: , I'm all for having a chat but FFS you are there with the children so :censored: watch them!

Saying that I love an excus eto 'have a go' on the osft play myself:laughing:

Schnakes
13-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I go to one group where there is a mum who basically ignores her little boy while he behaves in a very aggresive manner to all the other children.

She went to the toilet today and left the baby who was screaming its eyes out, so my friend picked him up...his poor little face is covered in scratches. I wonder who did that! :rolleyes: This woman isnt even chatting to the other mums...she just sits there. She has a really short temper with him though, when she DOES bother to do something. He snatched something from another kid and she BOOMED over at him, then marched over and gave him a wallop. It was quite upsetting to see and I think she might need some sort of help.

Sx