PDA

View Full Version : Look what Ive been making today :-)

miss mopple
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Have dusted off the sewing machine and made these bags :clapping:

alphabet bag

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qis006.jpg

nursery rhyme bag

http://i46.tinypic.com/n74gp.jpg

Hungry Caterpillar sack

http://i46.tinypic.com/35c0bbl.jpg

and a laundry bag for my youngest :D

http://i50.tinypic.com/mhsg46.jpg

off to have a hunt for more kiddy fabrics for story sacks now. Next on my list is a goldilocks one :clapping:

little miss chatterbox
07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
wow well done you!!! Do you take orders????

avril
07-02-2010, 04:47 PM
They are great, I wish I was good at sewing but haven't a clue with a sewing machine:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
07-02-2010, 04:48 PM

WOW! Well done - will you take an order from me too!!?

patevans
07-02-2010, 04:50 PM
They are absolutely fabby :clapping:

I have a sewing machine, maybe I should use it :idea:

ORKSIE
07-02-2010, 04:50 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: they are fab:thumbsup:

sarah707
07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
They are lovely! :D

Twinkles
07-02-2010, 04:54 PM
You clever thing , they're great ! :thumbsup:

sonia ann
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
well done I bought some fabric from hobbycraft ages ago to make some....and haven't got around to it yet

Mouse
07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
How fab!

Makes me want to get my sewing machine out...but it's at the back of the shed behind enough toys to fill a toyshop!

miss mopple
07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks all :D It was really nice to spend a productive afternoon rather than wasting time on the internet :thumbsup:

I'm no expert at sewing expert by any means (so not up to orders yet Im afraid :laughing ) , havent really used a machine since school over 20 years ago :eek: They are dead easy to do though and could be done by hand if you dont have a machine :thumbsup:

patevans
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks all :D It was really nice to spend a productive afternoon rather than wasting time on the internet :thumbsup:

I'm no expert at sewing expert by any means (so not up to orders yet Im afraid :laughing ) , havent really used a machine since school over 20 years ago :eek: They are dead easy to do though and could be done by hand if you dont have a machine :thumbsup:

Can I be really cheeky and ask what size they are :blush: going to have a go at making some :D

miss mopple
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
the music is 9x15", letters one is 12x11" and the hungry caterpillar one is alot bigger at 20x24" as I knew I wanted to put more in it

the smaller ones were made from 1 fat quarter of fabric if that gives you a guide when buying some. The laundry bag was 2FQ for the front and I used a different fabric for the back.

newandlearning
07-02-2010, 07:58 PM
wow.. they look really amazing... well done for being soo talented and creative xxx:clapping: :clapping:

MrsT333
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
wow well done you :thumbsup:

sunflower
07-02-2010, 08:41 PM
well done, they are great

you have been busy :thumbsup:

Spangles
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
They are really good! Love the alphabet material.

How on earth did you know how to make them if you haven't sewn since school? I wouldn't have had a clue but I'm not a very useful person! I sometimes fail to think of anything I'm good at and sewing definitely isn't something I can do! It was the only subject I was ever sent to the Head about at school! Ha!

miss mopple
07-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Google is a wonderful thing Spangles :laughing: Its only a few straight lines and a ribbon :thumbsup:

estrelas
07-02-2010, 09:27 PM

I agree, would you sell them?

I am uttery hopeless sewing! Tho to be honest i don't think I have ever sewn in my life :blush: , if something rips then off it goes to the bin

These look fab :clapping:

loocyloo
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
they are lovely! :clapping:

some bags like that for assorted things have been on my 'to do' list for months now!

where did you get the spotty fabric for the hungry caterpillar from? it looks as if it is 'proper' hungry caterpillar fabric!

xx

Tups
07-02-2010, 10:11 PM
They are fab well done tups xx:clapping: :clapping:

miffy
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Those are lovely!

Are you sure you won't take orders?

Miffy xx

patevans
08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
the music is 9x15", letters one is 12x11" and the hungry caterpillar one is alot bigger at 20x24" as I knew I wanted to put more in it

the smaller ones were made from 1 fat quarter of fabric if that gives you a guide when buying some. The laundry bag was 2FQ for the front and I used a different fabric for the back.

miss mopple
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh bless you all for being so kind :D Never knew they would be so popular :clapping:

A few people have asked about me making them some now. I'm no expert with a machine by any means but am happy to knock a few up. If people give me an idea of what themes they may like I'll see what fabrics I can source and get back to you :)

patevans
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Oh bless you all for being so kind :D Never knew they would be so popular :clapping:

A few people have asked about me making them some now. I'm no expert with a machine by any means but am happy to knock a few up. If people give me an idea of what themes they may like I'll see what fabrics I can source and get back to you :)

Can I ask what the albphabet things are....they look cool :cool: ?

miss mopple
08-02-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR593231&rid=29&cid=4

Merry-Minder
08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Looks like someone could give up childminding and follow a new business path!!!

If you change your mind you can put me down for some.

xxx

estrelas
08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR593231&rid=29&cid=4

These look great too!
I would like some bags please :laughing: :laughing:
Mail ya later xx

PixiePetal
08-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Me please :blush:

Would be interested in story sacks for hungry caterpillar (aren't we all:rolleyes: ) , gingerbread man and billy goats gruff - oh and the tiger who came to tea!

Not much of a tall order :blush: :D

patevans
25-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Have dusted off the sewing machine and made these bags :clapping:

alphabet bag

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qis006.jpg

nursery rhyme bag

http://i46.tinypic.com/n74gp.jpg

Hungry Caterpillar sack

http://i46.tinypic.com/35c0bbl.jpg

and a laundry bag for my youngest :D

http://i50.tinypic.com/mhsg46.jpg

off to have a hunt for more kiddy fabrics for story sacks now. Next on my list is a goldilocks one :clapping:

I have just mad e a bag but have the drawstring part wrong :blush: , can someone please remind me how to do it pls?

estrelas
25-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Is your bag business set up yet???
I'm ready with my order :laughing:

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, i'd like one of each thank you :blush:

sandy64
25-02-2010, 02:36 PM
me 2 pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase we are so cheeky you could make lots of money here.:blush:

miss mopple
25-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I have just mad e a bag but have the drawstring part wrong :blush: , can someone please remind me how to do it pls?

Hem the top of the fabric with a gap big enough to thread your ribbon through, stitch sides up to just below your hem line so you arent sewing through where you want then thread the ribbon through ( I attach to a big safety pin to pull through)

does that make sense? If not just google how to make a drawstring bag and loads of sites will come up.

Totally forgot I was supposed to be looking into fabrics- lifes been a bit hectic lately, sorry :blush: I think the best thing I can do is have a look around and make some up as I get the fabrics and pop them on the for sale section as I do them- does that sound fair? Obviously the cheaper I can get the fabrics the better but the ones I have used for my bags havent been all that cheap per fat quarter to be honest, but then I like the theme aspect of the fabric so am prepared to pay a bit more to have them look pretty :laughing: I could probably keep costs lower by just using a plain back and themed front to the bags- any thoughts?

Have a few more to do for me this weekend if I get time as have a square of owl fabric, some fabby ducks (not sure what story to use that for yet) and some with numbers all over it for a numeracy bag :thumbsup:

patevans
25-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Hem the top of the fabric with a gap big enough to thread your ribbon through, stitch sides up to just below your hem line so you arent sewing through where you want then thread the ribbon through

I did this but where I pulled the string through the raw edge popped out :angry: :blush:

caz3007
25-02-2010, 04:20 PM
What lovely bags, I am doing a hungry caterpillar one at the moment, but not making my own bag as no sewing machine

miss mopple
25-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I did this but where I pulled the string through the raw edge popped out :angry: :blush:

tie it in a knot,push the knot inside the seam and pull the other side until the knot feeds through to the opposite edge

sillysausage
25-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Miss Mopple can I ask....where did you get all the laminated bits in your Very Hungry Caterpillar sack from. Was there one specific place or have you assembled them from all over?

Currently in my sack I have:
The very hungry caterpillar
From caterpillar to Butterfly (fact book)
VHC card game
laminated food cards with holes and a bead/string caterpillar to thread through,
VHC cuddly caterpillar toy
VHC cocoon/butterfly wash mit from Boots

would love to add some extra activity cards.

miss mopple
25-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Here there and everywhere I think. I got the game from ebay, I remember that much. If you google hungry caterpillar printables Im sure some will come up

estrelas
26-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Hem the top of the fabric with a gap big enough to thread your ribbon through, stitch sides up to just below your hem line so you arent sewing through where you want then thread the ribbon through ( I attach to a big safety pin to pull through)

does that make sense? If not just google how to make a drawstring bag and loads of sites will come up.

Totally forgot I was supposed to be looking into fabrics- lifes been a bit hectic lately, sorry :blush: I think the best thing I can do is have a look around and make some up as I get the fabrics and pop them on the for sale section as I do them- does that sound fair? Obviously the cheaper I can get the fabrics the better but the ones I have used for my bags havent been all that cheap per fat quarter to be honest, but then I like the theme aspect of the fabric so am prepared to pay a bit more to have them look pretty :laughing: I could probably keep costs lower by just using a plain back and themed front to the bags- any thoughts?

Have a few more to do for me this weekend if I get time as have a square of owl fabric, some fabby ducks (not sure what story to use that for yet) and some with numbers all over it for a numeracy bag :thumbsup:

sounds good, i will defo purchase some xx
Great:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

caz3007
26-02-2010, 09:45 AM
If you google 'free resources hungry caterpillar' lots of different sites come up, so you can pick and choose