PDA

View Full Version : Trampolines - not insured - NCMA ??

Heaven Scent
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I went on a course yesterday about outdoor play and some know it all minder who I came across on another course/courses (you know the type who have to regularly make out no matter what point or idea that the leader raises that they have done/experienced the same thing only bigger and better :D - she got on my wick)

Anyhow one minder (she was in second place to the other minder in the piping up and butting in stakes - there appeared to be a bit of a competition going on) mentioned an idea she had used involving a trampoline when Butter in No. 1 piped up that NCMA no longer insured Trampolines.

The course leader must have had enough of the butting in at this stage and wasn't drawn in so the point passed and wasn't discussed - so now I am in thin air.

Has this woman got the wrong end of the stick or is it true - have they decided after the case where the minder got struck off (there was a thread on here - if anyone wants more info i'm sure someone more clever than me will be able to find it- I'm useless:panic: ) not to cover us at all if we allow children to use trampolines - I cant see why not as the minder was proven negligent by the judge then which ever insurance company she was insured with wouldn't have had to pay out so why stop covering us for using trampolines - I suppose we now need to check with Morton Michel what the situation is with them - I've not heard anything from MM who I am insured with - or have I missed something.

Can anywon throw any light on this revelation by this minder??

I've a feeling it just can't be right and she has got the wrong end of the stick.

Mouse
07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I haven't heard anything about that, but then I haven't got a trampoline.

I suppose the only thing you could do is phone to find out.

Sorry, not much help am I :o

Mouse
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I have found this, but don't know how old it is.

The NCMA Public Liability Insurance Policy does cover trampolining but they advise that this is an activity that should be risk assessed and that permission is received from the parents for the children to use the childminders trampoline.

According to their website, Morton Michel Childminder Insurance automatically covers for:

Use of trampolines, climbing frames and garden swimming pools in accordance with policy conditions and those policy conditions include: · Manufacturers or suppliers guidelines/instructions for the use of any equipment including inflatable play equipment (such as 'bouncy castles' and the like) and trampolines must be complied with at all times
· Use of a trampoline to be restricted to one child at any time.

All Childminders are advised that they should check with their Insurers as to:

Whether or not the Insurers classify trampolining as “a hazardous sport”
and also as to:
· whether or not their standard Childminding Insurance cover includes trampolining (whether or not it is classified as “a hazardous sport”)
or
· if they should take out additional insurance specifically for children using the trampoline.
Remember that trampolines are great fun and are a good way of

Heaven Scent
07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mouse - where is it from?

Heaven Scent
08-02-2010, 02:57 PM
just bumping this up to see id anyone else has heard anything - lots of panicing minders round here now!!!

beccas
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
i saw in last ncma mag that we are covered as long as we follow guide lines stated but best to check with your insurer.

Happy Monkeys
11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I have a trampoline policy which I got from the Bromley Childminding site it states:

'• Minded children, of any age, are not permitted on the trampoline without written permission from their parents (Trampoline Permission Form)
• All children will be supervised at all times on the Trampoline by a responsible adult
• The trampoline may only be used when the safety netting is in place
• The safety netting and the trampoline will be checked regularly to ensure it is in a good condition
• All children using the trampoline must listen and follow any instructions from me, failure to do so may result in them no longer being permitted to use this piece of equipment
• The trampoline will only be used by the recommended number of children.

But my trampoline doesnt recommend a specific number of children just that the maximum weight is 100kg. Does anyone know what the maximum number of children can go on a 12 ft trampoline??

thanks
Lynda

Pipsqueak
11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
NCMA DOES insure trampoline usage PROVIDING you are using it in accordance with manufacturers guidelines. ie - manufactuers guidelines says only for use of 6yrs and above, 1 child at a time, use a safety netting etc
If you step outside of the guidelines then the insurance is not valid.
It is good practice to have written permission from the parents - still using the trampoline within guidelines and perhaps a policy. Even if you have parental permission for a younger child than manufacturers guidelines to use the trampoline the insurance will be invalid

I checked this with them a while back.

Pipsqueak
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
But my trampoline doesnt recommend a specific number of children just that the maximum weight is 100kg. Does anyone know what the maximum number of children can go on a 12 ft trampoline??

thanks
Lynda
For safety reasons there should only ever be 1 child on the trampoline at one time.

I would include within your policy about 'no stunts' ie somersaults, back drops etc

nikim
11-03-2010, 02:23 PM
i banned the use of our trampoline last summer , after constant arguing , under 6's not being allowed on and " at home mummy lets us all go on at the same time :rolleyes: " so i took the saftey netting off and said it wasnt to be used, (my lot use it when im not minding but they are 11, 14 and 16,) now they dont bother asking, i also found having the net on made them more daring

Pudding Girl
11-03-2010, 02:28 PM
My trampoline doesn't specify an age limit either way, just weight limits, number limits - the guidelines are pinned to the trampoline itsef, so I can't lose them!!

I am with MM who include a bit for permission on their contracts :)

bexcee
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I think as long as you have written permission from the parents and abide by the trampoling rules then you will be ok. My trampoline says only one child on at a time for safety reasons.

bexcee
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Just found this on the MM website:

http://www.*****************/ChildMinder/faqs.asp go down to where it says :
Am I covered for using a trampoline in my garden? and the answer is Yes, in accordance with policy conditions.

And this on NCMA:

The NCMA Public Liability Insurance Policy does cover trampolining but they advise that this is an activity that should be risk assessed and that permission is received from the parents for the children to use the childminders trampoline.

Also a bit of info here:

http://www.childmindingmatters.org.uk/advice_trampolines.html

Heaven Scent
11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Yhank you all for your thoughts + comments - it is just as I thought - I think this woman got the wrong end of the stick but deciede to spout about it before she double checked the facts - I have been told since that she has double checked.

There is a pre-school nursery attached to a local church here in town and they have a huge trampoline without a safety net in a chocrete courtyard and just about a week after I started this thread a big forsale sign appeared in the corridor of the commnity centre where the church and nursery are.

I did wonder that it took so long after the minder was struck off folloing the court case regarding the child who broke his arm on hers for them to think about getting rid of it. I suppose if it had been a nursery who had been asked to close then te news would have filtered down a lot quicker to nurseries.

Ripeberry
11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to get rid of mine for free! But no-one wants it, not even on Net mums :(