PDA

View Full Version : feel so sorry for mum

Shirlwith3
06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
One of my los aged 14 months is small for is looking at him you would say that he was 6-9months he is unable to sit or doing anything but roll around the fall. Mum is only 19 single & in the army & living hundreds of miles from family. Any way to cut a long story a bit shorter her little boy had tests done before she brought him down here to live he had tests done to fine out what is going on with him any way she got test results back before christmas which came back normal so I suggested that she go to her Dr down here or see her health visiter which she has done with mums permission the HV came to see L at my house without mum as she was working well the HV was shocked as what little he is doing & told mum to make an appointment with Dr's which mum did & asked me if I could go with her luckily I have him on Fridays, well the appointment was yesterday, it was a shock as he suggested that as his head is measuring small & becasue of this his brain his msall so which could causing him to be developmently delayed plus all his jaulting moves & stairing at lights for long periods of time & not responding at the same time he could be having mini fits. Mum really did not have a clue he was so far behind that & he he is very developmently delay just thought he was being LAZY, she is now waiting for an appointment at the childrens unit at the hospital as he is going to have to have loads of test done to find out more, again I have been asked to go along too.

caz3007
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Poor mum, lets hope something can be done to help the LO.

Well done you for being so supportive, she is obviously going to need it

ORKSIE
06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
She is very lucky to have you, what a support you are for this young mum at this difficult time.
Hope the LO is ok:thumbsup:

madredann
06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
This is very sad and I feel for all of you but well done for recognising a possible problem, pushing it and getting her to seek a second opinion. The mom is probably very scared and upset and is fortunate to have someone like you that cares enough about the children she cares for to offer support. Are you happy to carry on supporting mom and child? It does sound like you are but might take up a bit of your time. It is the last thing anyone wants to go through especially away from home etc. Keep us posted about the outcome and sending you positive thoughts to get through this difficult time
Julie

helenlc
06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
My friend fostered a little boy who was very behind developmentally - he had more or less been left in his cot by himself til he came to her at 7 mths - he was like a newborn.

He ended up having some tests but not sure what the results were. I will ask her and see if anything was diagnosed.

He got adopted last summer and was 21 mths and still not walking but was coasting and was making small noises.

But his smile was massive!!

I am sure mum is very grateful for your support. Good luck:thumbsup:

The Juggler
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
oh poor little thing and what a worry for his mum at such a young age. shes lucky to have you.

sarah707
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Poor little man.

I bet the mum is so grateful of your support.

Hugs xx

TheBTeam
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Just to say that it is really good that he is being tested, but also to say that i care for a little boy who was 2 last september and he had test after test as they thought that something was wrong with him for similar reasons, very developmentally delayed and very insular, would not make any eye contact or interact etc.

Well all the tests were negative, tried high protein build up milk, still no real weight gain or growth, the good news is this child did not walk until 25 months and has gradually come out of himself and now at the age of 28months is amazing, his speech is coming along very nicely, he interacts and joins in, is running around and you would never know just how late he came to doing any of this and is now I would say ahead of a child a month older that we care for who has been working along nicely at the more developemental norms.

I am just saying this to give some reassurance that this can be 'normal' development for some children, and to be honest no one was more surprised than both us and the parent when there was nothing medical they could diagnose and believe me this lo was tested for everything and was monitored to with in an inch of his life! But now he is wonderfully up with it all.

Hope for mum and you that something similar happens.

Trouble
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Bless

i hope hes ok:(

dobby
06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Poor mite, and poor mum. How lovely of you to be so supportive, hope all works out ok

Shirlwith3
07-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all you support girls, think I will need it.
I have told mum that I will be there for her. I was talking to my mum as she has met the children I mind a few times now & is CRB'd any way my mum said as mum is 19 & a long way from home & L's mum will see me as a mum figure (am old enough to be her mum also have a 18yr old son), the good thing is my mum has offered to come to appointmetn if around to help watch the other children.

helenlc
07-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all you support girls, think I will need it.
I have told mum that I will be there for her. I was talking to my mum as she has met the children I mind a few times now & is CRB'd any way my mum said as mum is 19 & a long way from home & L's mum will see me as a mum figure (am old enough to be her mum also have a 18yr old son), the good thing is my mum has offered to come to appointmetn if around to help watch the other children.

Thats good that YOU have support too as it can be draining to be supportive for someone else.