PDA

View Full Version : settling in period??

BrookeK
05-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi, Im thinking about becoming a childminder, an i have most of my questions answered by reading threw the forum, which i find very very very helpful:clapping: but one thing i dont get is the settling in periods.

I know they normaly are 2-4 weeks...but how exactly do you do them If a mindee is gonna be full time. 3 days a week do 1hour sessions? or do you do 2 days a weeek at 1hour session an the following 3 days do (2hr) sessions?

I know this may be a simple answer but i just cant seem to grasp it haha. Also, do you sign contracts when doing settling in periods or does all the contracts get signed afterward the settling in period. I do know most childminders dont charge for settling in periods am i right? If anyone could give some advice in how they do their settling in periods would be very helpful!!! thanks bunches

Blaze
05-02-2010, 11:25 PM
The contracts are signed first & the settling in period is written into the contract....

For example if you were taking on a LO full time starting the 1st Feb ...the first 4 weeks (as an example) would be the settling in period....After that the contract starts (so the 1st march as 4 weeks = 28 days)...now you see why I chose Feb as an example :D

No notice period is required from either party in the settling in period so gives you both parent & CM a get out of jail free card if things don't work out - for this reason a deposit is required which is non refundable if the placement isn't taken up & if it is it is taken of the last bill & fees are paid either weekly or monthly in advance:thumbsup:

HTH:)

BrookeK
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
hi again ....so the first 4 weeks is the settling in period i get that , do you do 1 hour sessions each day for 4 weeks or full contracted hours for 4 weeks? sorry for the silly questions,i just want to make sure i understand this properly.

One other thing, if the settling in period is full contracted hours for 4 weeks is the first month free then? Ah, i have a habit of mixing simple things up an making it harder than it really is....:blush:

Blaze
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Nothing is free!:eek: :laughing: (& ALWAYS make sure you are paid in advance)!

I personally do the normal hours as the settling in - that way you get a true feeling ...but you can just do sessions if you prefer.

BrookeK
06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
silly me i thought settling in periods was free, im a newbie to this:blush: i think i finally get it haha. so normal hours an days as settling in, and im paid a deposit, an first months fee or just the deposit?

Blaze
06-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Your deposit covers you if they don't give you proper notice when terminating the contract or it they don't take up the contract...the settling in fees are charged as per your normal rate in advance.:)

Don't worry about asking Q's we were all newbie's once & most of us have been burnt - so by finding the forum - you're learning from our experience - wish I had known about it pre-reg!:thumbsup: