PDA

View Full Version : things to do in the holidays!

saljan
05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Please help! i have children ranging from 10 to 3 over the half term holidays, most of them will be with me full time. We can't go out in the car because of space, there is only the local playground which we could use. But if the weather is awful we won't be able to go. how do i keep everyone happy and entertained. i have activities planned. lots of games, colouring & making, also thought about making pizza from scratch. its not so bad if they come at different times and only for one or two days but all week. any ideas would be helpful. Thanks:panic:

Lady Haha
05-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I got a bigger car for precisely this reason! I have an 8 seater and will not take on any more than 7 mindees at a time! You don't even need to be that rich to get one! Mine is a Nissan Serena which cost me 700 quid and tax is the same and insurance not much more and it's a diesel so it actually costs less to run than my old car which was petrol.

But that doesn't help you right now does it! Sorry!

I really do feel for you though!!!!

Lady Haha
05-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Cinema time - pop corn and curtains drawn for older ones - kill an hour and a half!

Salt Dough modelling - making the salt dough, modelling the salt dough, cooking the salt dough and painting the salt dough!

Make a Den under a table and have a picnic!

tracing paper! Great stuff!

Big paper for drawing body outlines and filling in or making a map of the local area with their houses on and school, library, etc

running out of ideas now!

Kes
05-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I have children ranging from 2years to 5 years in the holidays, I find that they usually amuse themselves. If they get too bored or too lively then I start a game of hide and seek which works well and is enjoyed by all age groups. Last holiday I also set the kitchen up as a messy play area I had an easel, tray of pretend snow and the water table. Took a bit of clearing up but kept them amused for ages.
This holiday I am going to look on the internet for science experiments to do with kids and thats what I'm going to do for the week, if I find enough stuff.

helenlc
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
We did mosaic making one time - I just got picture frames, took out the glass and replaced the frame. Spread tile adhesive in it and gave the kids a selection of broken tile pieces. The 3 yr old up to my own 11 yr old liked that.

Things like salt dough are good for lasting a few days - you can make it and mould it one day, paint it the next, varnish it the next day and take it home the next day. Maybe also make a little presentation box to take it home in.

Cinema at home is also a good one.

Biscuit making, then decorate them later in the day. Maybe heart shape cookies for valentines day?

Also Chinese New Year is the 14th - you could make paper lanterns, have noodles with chop sticks for lunch, make some money envelopes and allow them to have some chocolate coins in it.

15th is pancake day - they can help you mix the batter then have pancakes for lunch. Make some pancake bean bags and do balancing games and races indoors with them.

mushpea
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Is there a local woodland you could walk around, collecting things or prehaps give them each a list of things to find on a walk round your local area, feed the ducks, get scooters and ride on toys out and have races up and down the path.
I have smilar ages although i can fit them in the car, i havent got loads of spare cash so we go places that are free, trouble is if it rains we are stuck in too, we do go puddle splashing but it only lasts for so long!! j
unlike the other lady non of mine will amuse themselves, if the wiis not on one of the children will just sit ther and do nothing and then 2 of the older ones will just follow me from room to room not really wanting to do anything and if i sit down with a cuppa then they sit virtualy on top of me! so i always make sure we have acitviites and go out somewhere even if its a walk to the local supermarket to buy some stuff to make cakes with

Hebs
06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
our plans are...

Monday i'm off :clapping:

tues.....local farm (its free :clapping: )

weds....making a new ceiling display (lambs using cotton wool and daffodils using paper bowls and paper plates)

thurs......soft play (walking there and back too fills up a day :clapping: )

fri.....beach for ice cream, feeding the ducks etc

jojane
06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
havnt started minding yet but my plan is to have each week as theme is space, farm, beach, transport etc and then each week have the following activities; messy play, craft activity, painting, cooking, drawing/colouring, game, song, book, tv time, etc (would wlcome any other category suggestions) and tailor each activity to the weeks theme. plus put out any toys that fit with theme and encourage play with those. That way it ties everything together and gives everything more of a structure

saljan
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
thank you all, you have given me me some fantastic ideas! hopefully, everyone will be happy. xx i will keep you posted on what happens, look forward to a rest when they are back at school ha ha xx