PDA

View Full Version : How do you greet the inspector?

clorogue
05-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Do you ask to look at their name badge, do you immediately offer to show them the fire procedure? What else?

Thanks

RedDragon
05-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I would ask to see their badge - have a good look a it,
invite them in.
Tell them where the fire exits are,
Ask them to take their shoes off,
sign the visitors book,
ask them if they have anything in their handbag that can be dangerous to the children,
offer them a drink in a cup that has a safety lid on it.
Sit down and let them take over.

Pudding Girl
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Check ID.
Introduce them to the children.
Tell them where the toilet is.
Put the kettle on.

Andrea08
05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
hehehe i remember i was so nurvious i said ,,,

"Oh hi again,,, even though i know you i surpose i better look at your ID" lol

the more relaxed you are the more you will be able to show the inspector and if your relaxed the children will be too...

have to say think how great you are and then tell them how great you are,,

to all thoes due an inspection good luck xx

grindal
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Ask them to use anti bac hand gel on entry

Spangles
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't stress about your inspection, it will all be fine. If you stress yourself out with a huge list of things to say and ask you may well get all jumbled and it could all go wrong.

Just be yourself. Ask for ID if she doesn't offer it and be friendly and inviting. I didn't show emergency exits and things like that or make them anti-bac hands and there wasn't a problem. Just do what you normally do and be as comfortable as you can.

Information about your fire procedure will come out when she starts asking you questions like how will you keep the children safe, etc.

Are you worried about your inspection and thinking about all the tiny things way too much? I did that and wish I hadn't.

Honestly, you will be fine, chill out and remember it will be over in a matter of hours - just a few hours out of the whole of your life.

xx

clorogue
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Thank you everyone! I have had inspections before and they have gone with a breeze. But this will be the first one since EYFS and I was looking for any tips - any bits and pieces - I think i am all there. The inspector rang me and she was lovely and we had a good chat - there is going to be another inspector coming inspecting her whilst she is inspecting me!!!!!

Spangles
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh blimey! She'll be just as nervous as you then! Ha!

Good luck with your inspection by the way

xxx

clorogue
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I know! First time I have had this and it will be an all day inspection because I have to do a nursery pick up midday. Like i said though we had a good chat on the phone and she really was lovely - but all the same you know you are being inspected and there will be 2!!!!

Blaze
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I would ask to see their badge - have a good look a it,
invite them in.
Tell them where the fire exits are,
Ask them to take their shoes off,
sign the visitors book,
ask them if they have anything in their handbag that can be dangerous to the children,
offer them a drink in a cup that has a safety lid on it.
Sit down and let them take over.

Same - exept i put all the paperwork I think they'll want to see in a tub next to the sofa...I make this known to them - then get on as usual!:thumbsup:

Spangles
05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
That would make me more nervous but maybe they will keep each other occupied more and it will be easier?

I'm glad she sounded lovely on the phone, at least you know she's not an old dragon. It's so much easier when you get on with them and are on the same wavelength about things.

Let us all know how it goes.

Mouse
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I asked for ID, even though I knew the inspector from the last time.

She took her shoes off without being asked & I offered to take her coat.

We went into the room where the children were playing & I introduced her to them. I explained to the children who she was & that she was there to watch us play.

I asked her if she needed to be near a power point for her laptop and told her I'd make her a drink at snack time.

I then said 'Right, over to you. Where do you want to start?'

I'm lucky in that I am very relaxed about these things anyway and I do think a bit of confidence goes a long way.

clorogue
Will do - and yes no matter how calm I aim to be - I will be nervous - I think everyone is! But I know i will have done my best and that is all I can do!

Blaze
PS - Good luck - I'm sure you don't need it though! & I'm glad she sounded nice on the phone - we have a dragon inspector round here & as I got the nice one last time I'm due the Dragon this time!:panic:

RedDragon
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
All this talk about dragons - they don't all breath fire you know ;)

TheBTeam
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
We have a 50/50 split of fire breathing dragons and nice ones, i have only had the dragons, (one of whom has been given a good kick up the b before and thrown out of some houses), so I am due a nice one!:rolleyes:

louised
05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I know! First time I have had this and it will be an all day inspection because I have to do a nursery pick up midday.

What makes you think she will be there all day? I had my inspection on Tuesday with a nursery pickup midday, the inspector left when I left do do my pick up

clorogue
05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Because she told me. They will be arriving at 9.45 and then I have to leave for the pick up at 12, back at 1 and whilst I am out they will go for lunch and then return in the afternoon to tie up all the loose ends. In the morning I will have only one child, then in the afternoon two - you never know it may turn out different but that is what I am expecting!

suzyblue
05-02-2010, 01:15 PM
My friend had an inspector that followed her in the car to playgroup while my friend walked! She actually went down an alley way to try and lose the inspector! When my friend got back to the house with the little boy that was at playgroup the inspector asked the boy if the posters on the wall were always there and he said NO!:laughing:

beccas
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
i also had aftrenno drop off at nursery and she left when i left and idnt come back she said it was quick because i had done a excellent sef and left all paperwork for her in one place so she didnt have to ask me anything. i also put a list on front of esch file just so they knew what was in each one for example: policies, cert, parent feedback.
eyfs planning
daily risk assesment, vistor book
plannig for year and all areas of learning covered.

hope this helps

rainbowmummy
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Honestly, you will be fine, chill out and remember it will be over in a matter of hours - just a few hours out of the whole of your life.

xx

Fine words, I'm going to use them as my mantra!

clorogue
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Any advice helps and thank you!!!! Yes i think that being really organised will cut the time down and maybe it will be quicker than expected - you never know - but at least I know what could happen. :)

louised
05-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I think i must have got off lightly, my inspector was gone in just over 2 hours and I hadn't even completed my SEF

When my friend got back to the house with the little boy that was at playgroup the inspector asked the boy if the posters on the wall were always there and he said NO!

I was worrying about this as I had put up extra stuff that the children hadn't seen for a while but fortunately they didn't give me away!

Ripeberry
05-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I think we should also list the stuff we should NOT do when the inspector is with us :D
Someone tell me please, do they test you on ALL the 6 areas of learning and want you to recite all your policies by heart?
My head will be bursting...lol!

smudge
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Although i had been inspected twicw before i dont think anything anyone can say will make u feel better!!!!
Mine came at 4.10pm and left at 7.00pm!!! When she came i had just put a child on time out and my own daughter was having a massive tantrum and was banging the toilet lid and to top it all of our little dog took an instant dislike to her ( she did sit in his chair tho but i didnt have the heart to say lol):laughing:
I burnt the chips and the lasagne was undercooked and i felt sure i was going to cry but i thought of her sat in my dogs chair and kept a smile on my face!
I think the best advice anyone cane give is just to be yourself, remember, this is your home, your buisness and apart from giving you recommendations theres not much she or he can do!!!:)

Winnie
05-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I usually have to go outside and wave because no-one can ever find our house :laughing: then its peer at the name badge ;) introduce the children and ask the inspector what she would like us to call her....Ms ... or first name (its always first name) then its would you like to plug your lap top in, please sign the log book, here is the loo and... i'll put the kettle on :thumbsup:

clorogue
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Thank you so much for all your input! Appreciated!

Cazz
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm finding this very interesting as I think my first grading one will be in the next couple of weeks. (Had a letter today informing me they haven't been able to contact me (oops!! :D ) and to fill in the form and post back to them - that should buy me a few more days :laughing: )

One thing I was wondering - if they're with you over lunchtime do you offer them some lunch? It seems rude to just feed the mindees and yourself but I wouldn't want to seem as if I'm trying to butter her up iyswim!!

Pipsqueak
06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Do you ask to look at their name badge, do you immediately offer to show them the fire procedure? What else?

Thanks

Tell 'em to bog off in a foreign language (hopeing they don;t speak it) and slam the door hard

OR

shout loudly I said no cold callers and slam the door:laughing: :laughing:

ok I am wishing

I say hi, let them introduce themselves, ask to see the ID if its not profered and give it a good looksee - comparing the pix to the person then invite them in

Pipsqueak
06-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm finding this very interesting as I think my first grading one will be in the next couple of weeks. (Had a letter today informing me they haven't been able to contact me (oops!! :D ) and to fill in the form and post back to them - that should buy me a few more days :laughing: )

One thing I was wondering - if they're with you over lunchtime do you offer them some lunch? It seems rude to just feed the mindees and yourself but I wouldn't want to seem as if I'm trying to butter her up iyswim!!

i offered my inspector some lunch as I was doing some- she didn't accept but she did accept a cup of coffee at the start of the inspection

Hebs
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree with pip

Say..... salam la shukran (means hello, no thank you in arabic) and quickly close the door lol

wendywu
07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Say " you rang, Oh sorry m'lady is resting at the moment" Then give a very deep and evil laugh. THEN slam the door in her face.:laughing:

Shame you could not borrow Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror Show to answer the door. I love that show.:thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
check ID NB

Say Hi - Welcome to my home -( a gentle reminder that its your home she is in and not a prefabricated purose build SETTING that they funded - its your home that you (and possibly your other half) work hard to pay for and have lovingly decorated to make a home for you and your family - sorry I've got a bee in my bonnet about that), then invite her to come in -

If you want her to remove her shoes then ask her to then direct her to where you want her to be - and introduce her to the children - yeah.

Then ask her if she'd like a drink now or would she prefer to wait until you and the children are having your mid morning snack. She will probably say wait and you say - that is the safest option - mine are always strapped into high chairs or other seats when they have snack. and I have a long table so there is no danger of them coming into contact with a drink in a normal cup.

I gave my her drink in a lidded insulated cup and she took the lid off - Next time I'll tell her that if she sits in such and such a place away from the children then she can have it in as proper cup as no risk of them being near it - Shows Risk assessing!!!!!

When you've had enough get the kiddies to do some messy play so they will fling stuff at her and she'll leave pretty sharpish.:laughing: :laughing: I didn't do it on purpose but when mine were playing with noodles and some got flung in her direction off she went at a rate of knots - I've never seen anyone pack up so quickly :laughing:

I started cooking while they were flinging noodles everywhere and I did invite her to stay but I bet she had her butties in the car!!!!

Be really polite to her when she leaves too saying it was a pleasue to have you in my home - (same subtle hint) and say how you are sure the children enjoyed you visiting too. - Don't forget its like showbusiness - keep smiling even if its through gritted teeth. :D :D :D

Good Luck