PDA

View Full Version : Not providing meals advice needed

SparklingGems
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have decided not to provide food I have a small baby of my own and I just could not manage cooking meals.

I will do snacks etc especially after school so will tide the children over til they get home for tea.

I want to ask all parents to supply a packed lunch but ofsted inspector said I need to make sure parents follow my healthy eating plan.

How are other minders not suppling meals doing it?

What types of things do you supply as snacks?

Thank you

SimplyLucy
04-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I have never provided meals and ask parents to send a packed lunch.

I have a healthy eating policy that I give to parents but unfortunatly all you can do is encourage the parents to pack a healthy lunch.

In my policy I give lunch box examples, the insepctor liked this.

Also during my inspection the inspector saw that I keep the lunch boxes on the worktop and serve the food on plates. This way each child gets their savory and fruit first saving any crisps or treats to the end, thus the child is normally too full for the treat and because they don't know it's in there they don't moan!

The inspector loved my plan and I've never had a parent moan that their child never eats such and such and some have even stopped adding the treat item!

I provde healthy snacks for after schoolies and little ones during the day, items such as fruit, fromage frais, rice cakes, crackers and cheese, toast and crumpets are faves!

Pudding Girl
04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
As above, but just wanted to add that if you have more than one, then make sure the lunchbox is named, and also make sure you have room to store them safely in your fridge - and probably worth doing a fridge temp check chart if you don't already do one.

nokidshere
04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
As above, but just wanted to add that if you have more than one, then make sure the lunchbox is named, and also make sure you have room to store them safely in your fridge - and probably worth doing a fridge temp check chart if you don't already do one.

Sorry - Just reading that made me think of school! Our children's school doesn;t provide food so all the children take lunchboxes. They are stored on a trolley in the classroom which is heated to around 68 degrees and then wheeled into the hall at lunchtime.

How come its ok for schools to keep food in a warm place?

Zoomie
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Probably because the food is in a insulated bag and has an ice pack inside .... NOT

nokidshere
04-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Probably because the food is in a insulated bag and has an ice pack inside .... NOT

as you say :D

but then why can't the mindees bring insulated bags with ice packs in them also?

Curly Quavers
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry - Just reading that made me think of school! Our children's school doesn;t provide food so all the children take lunchboxes. They are stored on a trolley in the classroom which is heated to around 68 degrees and then wheeled into the hall at lunchtime.

How come its ok for schools to keep food in a warm place?

I agree! my dd school does not put them in the fridge and it really narks me.

My CCO did ask if I have room to keep all packed lunches in a fridge.

messyplay
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
supposed to take lunches out of boxes so that lunch boxes dont contaminate your fridge

devoncm
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I take the yoghurt out and put in the fridge, the rest stays in lunch box on worktop out the way of any sun that might come through window