PDA

View Full Version : scarlet fever

mammumof4
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
my sons nursery has just informed us they have a confermed case of scarlet fever, still not sure what exatly this is or if serious but he came back home with me!
am i over protctive? i was the only parent that didnt allow there child to go :blush: he was over the moon,not sure why but he hates nursery, we have been having issues for a while :panic:
got to think about the minded children aswell :o
what would you have done? am i over protective? am i weekening his immune system by not exposing him to these things?

ORKSIE
04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Scarlet-Fever.htm

I found this,I found it quite interesting as I didnt know much about this virus as its quite rare:thumbsup:

nikim
04-02-2010, 09:47 AM
scarlet fever is not more than a bad cold and sore throat and high temp but comes with very red face and mouth /tongue hence the term scarlet fever, it often just runs its course and complications are rare these days, but doctors often prescribe anti biotics as a precaution , its very common in children and once theyve had it they are immune , and you often dont realise theyve got it until theyve developed the red cheeks which comes a couple of days after the cold starts , hope that puts your mind at rest, also its airborne so very contagious like the common cold

daisyboo1980
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
i had a mindee with it last week it seems to be going abt she only comes thurs and fri i had her the thurs and thought it was her teeth as she was just hot mum took her to doc as she was no better
i was in a real panic as im 12 weeks pregnant but gp told me it was ok

there seems to be alot abt

Noodles
04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
My lo had scarlet fever a couple of years ago. she was poorly for the first few days but then got over it very quickly.
I personally would not have kept my child off nursery as once its confirmed your child has probably already been in contact with it.

The Juggler
04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
my dd got it when she was 2 1/2 in my second week of minding! i had taken on a baby and a schoolie (siblings). had to phone mum (who had just gone back to work from mat. leave) and tell her. she decided to continue to send the baby.

Doc told me it's highly contagious but it effectively treatable with antibiotics (it's a form of strep throat but in children manifests as scarlet fever). So, as long as childrne who have it get the meds quickly there is a minute chance of the complications developing. Complications develop when treatment is given quickly.

However, does make them quite ill for a week or so and symptoms are v. high fever and red welt type rashes on and off, obviously the v. sore throat and vomiting (because of the throat infection I think).

In terms of risk of catching it, if child is excluded now I think risk is pretty low. not one person in our household caught if from dd but I can understand your concern. However, I didn't know it was notifiable at the time and didn't tell ofsted:blush:

Rubybubbles
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
My son had scarlet fever when he was 5 (now 8)and was very poorly with it. No idea how he caught it, as no-one else around shown any sigh of it.

He was on Anti-biotics for 3 weeks with it! BUT my ds has problems with his ears and thoat and if he gets anything he is hit hard! He now has no tonsills, adanoids and now has grommits:) He was very young and they took his tonsills out when he was 6 he was so bad!

BUT I still send my dd to creche and no-one caught anything through passing of her (IYSWIM!)

mammumof4
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
im just thinking back to last weekend!i had my 3 yr old nephew here with VERY red cheeks and very grumpy and snotty! mum told me he just had a cold Mmmmm.

anyhow,think i might have over reacted a little, but still not sure if im sending him tomorrow, he only goes mondays, thurs and fridays so hasnt been since monday maybe he didnt come into contact with the infected child. who knows ........ but cant protect him from everything, if its in the nursery chances are high that children from there have siblings in the school next door, who my children and mindies go to so there isnt alot i can do is there. its this stupid swine flu thats got me freaking out all the time!!!! i was fine till that, its made me over protective and worried about evrything :(

loocyloo
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
we've just had a spate of scarlet fever in my village, several children had it, yet, they were of differing ages etc, and are not in contact with each other ever !!!

x

mammumof4
04-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Mmmmm seems to be more comon than i thought

The Juggler
04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Mmmmm seems to be more comon than i thought

i think it is. think red patches usually start in centre of face/forehead and spread to limbs rather than red cheeks so hopefully your nephew was clear.