PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed to childmind if your own child is ill?

Cazz
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
My son is 12 and has become quite poorly since getting home from school today. He seems to have flu - high temperature, headache, sore throat and feeling sick. He really feels quite unwell - has done absolutely nothing except put his pj's on and go to bed, not even wanting to eat anything which is unheard of for him!

He'll definetly not be well enough for school tomorrow and will probably not go on Friday either. I don't have any mindees on a Thursday but am due to have a 9 mth old on Friday.

I'll phone the mum tomorrow and tell her about my son. Should I say I can't have the little one (she doesn't work and is 8 months pregnant) or bearing in mind my son is older and could stay upstairs out of the way can I still have the little one if she wants me to?

Pipsqueak
03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
i think if you can isolate him in another room and you and him are comfortable with this then I can't see a problem with you minding.

hope the poor lad feels better soon

peanuts
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
my dd was off school on Tuesday, had been up in the night being sick. told mum at drop off saying that i would keep them apart today.

solly
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I am sure you will be able to mind if your son stays out of the way. I have had a stinking cold and hacking cough this week and gave all my mindees the option (i was rather hoping they would not come) but they all said as long as i want to work then they would send their children

Cazz
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm in two minds as to what to do!

On the one hand I don't want to let her down (had to take time off a couple of other times due to illness before Christmas). If he had a tummy bug then I wouldn't work (didn't think we were allowed) but flu is sllightly different I suppose.

On the other hand, G is not the easiest of children to look after - he normally cries almost continously for an hour or so after mum has left and then the slightest thing sets him off during the day, which means it's not going to be an exactly peaceful house for a son who is feeling unwell. Also, as I said mum is 8 months pregnant and I don't want to pass anything on to her. Hopefully he hasn't got swine flu but I do know that she refused the swine flu jab. I suppose though the issue of risk to her own health is up to her if she chooses to still bring G.

Spangles
03-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I would just tell the mum the whole situation and let her make her own mind up about what she wants to do.

Got to say, if I was her with the circumstances you describe, I would probably choose to keep my child at home.

You could also ask your son how he feels about it. If he's really got proper flu he may not feel up to having a child round who might be crying for a lot of the day.

I hope your son recovers quickly by the way.

x

Cazz
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I would just tell the mum the whole situation and let her make her own mind up about what she wants to do.

Got to say, if I was her with the circumstances you describe, I would probably choose to keep my child at home.

You could also ask your son how he feels about it. If he's really got proper flu he may not feel up to having a child round who might be crying for a lot of the day.

I hope your son recovers quickly by the way.

x

Thanks - I don't think I've ever known him to be so poorly to be honest.

I'm thinking along the same lines - I personally wouldn't send my child if I didn't have to (i.e. not working) and certainly not when I was heavily pregnant!

Also agree with you about my son possibly not wanting a crying child here for 7 hours (with approx 2 hour break due to naps and eating lunch! :laughing: ).

I'm going to wait until tomorrow afternoon/early evening before I phone her and if he's no better than today I'll probably say I can't work. If he's not so bad I'll give her the choice.