PDA

View Full Version : Lunch time meals

Fabby
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Hiya

Hope everyone is ok. Can you share with me what types of lunches you make for the children please???
Just preparing myself for the big day!!!
Cheers
Antonia

Twinkles
03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I was looking at my lunchtime repertoire today and thinking it could do with a re-vamp.

Here's mine

Soup ( very small ones can have bread crumbled in to make it easier.)

Beans on toast

Cheese toasties

Chicken/cheese/meat/fish sandwiches ( not all in same sandwich ! )

Pasta with pesto

all of these ( except soup ) are served with carrot sticks/cucumber/cherry tomatoes.
Then fruit -all sorts - I usually cut up small pieces and divide between the children.

Fromage frais and then if they're still hungry homemade cookies/flapjack or cake.

Tatjana
03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I try to do lunches that don't take long to prepare:

Soups with bread/garlic bread
Sandwiches/wraps/bagels, varying fillings
Spanish tortilla
Bread, houmus, tzatziki, cucumber slices, cheese cubes, carrot sticks, olives
Pitta or bagel pizzas
Fish fingers
Toast - varying toppings
Salads - in summer/warmer weather

hth
xx

Fabby
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I dont suppose anyone has got a meal planner sheet that they use on a weekly basis that they could share please? x

Twinkles
03-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont suppose anyone has got a meal planner sheet that they use on a weekly basis that they could share please? x

Not for lunches - sorry only for evening meals. I do a proper cooked meal at teatime , got a planner for that if you want it ?

Fabby
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes please x

Chell
03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not registered yet but I always struggle for ideas for my DD and I. We tend to have toasties, jacket potatoes or pizzas using muffins/ciabatta/panini as a base. We had tomato and veg pasta tonight for tea so I have kept some for her lunch tomorrow.

Twinkles
03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Yes please x

pm me your email address and I'll email it to you. :thumbsup:

helenlc
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
We tend to have a variety of breads - sandwich, muffins, rolls, bagels etc.

Variety of fillings - ham, cheese (toasted cheese as well), cream cheese, meat pastes etc.

Or I just butter the bread (whatever type it is) and then they have sausages, chicken strips, omelette strips, houmous etc on the side.

Sides of cucumber slices, carrots, cheese cubes, cherry tomoatoes etc.

Sometimes Pom Bears or Quavers - about once a fortnight tbh.

Fruit, yogurt, or cake after.

miffy
03-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I usually do a cooked meal at lunchtime - casserole, shepherd's pie, pasta bake etc

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
For lunches we most of the time have hot food, which ranges from a variety of meat or salmon with potato and veg (sometimes cooked from scratch sometimes from previous evening) or pizza occasionally, pasta and sauce, cheese on toast, chilli and rice, curry and rice, spag bol and sometimes sandwiches, if no hot veg then will have carrot, cucumber and tomato pieces.

For desert we have a lot of fresh fruit and fromage frais, we only tend to have cakes on day trips and sometimes as part of our snack, at the moment generally the children are full after their main meal and desert. Occasionally packets of wotsits or quavers are shared if we have sandwiches but only once or twice a month.

sillysausage
03-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Lunches this week are
Mon - spaghetti with a tomato & veg sauce and cheese (plus carrot and cucumber sticks)
Tues- chicken risotto with sweetcorn and soya beans
Wed - noodles with stir fried chicken and vegetables
Thursday and Friday to be decided as yet but may be pizza and salad, homemade soup and roll, fishfingers, sausage and mash, ravioli, or kedgeree

Some days I will ask mindees to decide what they want because I know the answer will be either pasta or pizza lol!

youarewhatyoueat
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Packed lunches supplied by the parents for me, so easy and gives me the flexibility to have a quick picnic when the weather is good. Sorry not much help but seriously consider not supplying food the benefits are huge.
I ask parents to follow my healthy eating policy and never had a problem.

saintsue
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
PLEASE PLEASE COULD YOU PM ME YOUR WEEKLY PLANNER PLEASE THAT WOULD BE GREAT
THANKS ALOT

(sorry didnt mean to shout
have a nice day love sue xxxxx

singlewiththree
04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I usually do a cooked meal at lunchtime - casserole, shepherd's pie, pasta bake etc

Miffy xx

I'm the same it tends to be left overs from the night before's dinner! :)

Helen Dempster
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM

I've got a weekly menu up on my website if you want to have a look, do something similar - feel free! Web address is www.bubblesandburps.co.uk

Fabby
20-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Brilliant webiste helen!!! xx

singingcactus
20-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Last week we had this:

Black beans, cheese, salad salsa wraps. Dips on side. Pepper and carrot sticks.

Toasted pita with hummus dip. Ham, cheese, garden salad. Whole fruit.

Cheese and tomato sandwich. Crackers. Whole fruit. Milk.

Mozzarella, olives and roasted veg on wholemeal bread. Bean dip.

Naan bread served with KooKoo Seeb-Zamini. Green beans. Milk.

This week we had this:

Noodles, chicken, cheese, chopped veg

Pancakes and various toppings

Cheese Sandwich, fruit cup, smoked sausage, crackers

Chicken Tortilla, cheese, salad, corn chips

Chip Shop Day 

We usually have oily fish once a week, but that hasn't happened for these two weeks because of mixed up hours and other reasons. And we go to the chip shop once during each school holiday as a treat for my own children :)

WibbleWobble
20-02-2010, 03:33 PM
have look at my website...

i have a sample weeks planner there. And it is pretty accurate too.

tried to upload but couldnt work it out .

mandy x

Beckieboo
20-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I tend to stick to one pot dishes i can prepare the night before or in the morning:-
Pasta bake
Cottage Pie
Hot Pot
Lasagne

I do a hot meal at lunch at a light snack at 3.45pm:
Sandwiches
Bagels
Pittas

All with various fillings

mushpea
20-02-2010, 04:38 PM
mine get sandwich with either cheese, jam, ham, billy bear, tuna , egg
fruit and a yoghut then get a cooked evening meal

caz3007
20-02-2010, 04:55 PM
All mine have gone off bread at the moment, so finding it hard.

Do a sort of snack plate, they do eat cheese straws and crackers at the moment. I do feel my lunches are boring though

mushpea
21-02-2010, 09:31 AM
All mine have gone off bread at the moment, so finding it hard.

Do a sort of snack plate, they do eat cheese straws and crackers at the moment. I do feel my lunches are boring though

I do variy the lunch sometimes so we have pitta bread, sausage rolls, crackers but generaly i expect them to eat whats put in front of them and if they are hungry they will, I dont have time to give them all somthing different neither will i give them a different thing if they dont eat what i giv ethem, so if i give them a sand wich and wont eat it then i wont then try a cracker cause then they get in to the habbit of if 'i dont eat this i will get somthing else' and then i would throw tuns of food away.
I also find it better not to put every thing on their plates, so i will give them their sandwich, when they have eaten this then they get their fruit, then crisps then youghurt, if they are hungry they will eat if not they go without.

caz3007
21-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I do variy the lunch sometimes so we have pitta bread, sausage rolls, crackers but generaly i expect them to eat whats put in front of them and if they are hungry they will, I dont have time to give them all somthing different neither will i give them a different thing if they dont eat what i giv ethem, so if i give them a sand wich and wont eat it then i wont then try a cracker cause then they get in to the habbit of if 'i dont eat this i will get somthing else' and then i would throw tuns of food away.
I also find it better not to put every thing on their plates, so i will give them their sandwich, when they have eaten this then they get their fruit, then crisps then youghurt, if they are hungry they will eat if not they go without.

I do what you suggested. I was finding they both ate the inside of the sandwich and left the bread. I have changed it to crackers instead of bread and putting cheese or ham on the side, along with raisins and at the moment they both are eating it all. They then get fruit, yoghurt and occasionally a piece of cake.

pinklady
21-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Getting hungry reading through all your lovely menu's :blush:

Sorry to high-jack thread but I was thinking of adding savoury muffins to my lunch menu, have any of you tried this? Do the LO's like them?

margaret
21-02-2010, 05:44 PM
i think you are all great childminders i dont provide any meals all the children bring their own and the majority are homemade where do you get the time?

caz3007
21-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I do a cooked meal for tea time for my after schoolies, but its usually prepare ahead type meals and then I freeze a portion for the LO I have twice a week as he comes once burger day and he doesnt eat that type of meal so well. He prefers spag bol, shepherds pie, pasta bake

mushpea
22-02-2010, 06:52 AM
i think you are all great childminders i dont provide any meals all the children bring their own and the majority are homemade where do you get the time?

takes about 5mins at the most to prepare lunch and for tea about halfhour cooking time if i use the oven but then its in the oven so i dont have to stand and watch it either that or i use the slowcooker so dosent really take up any time at all,
I wont let them bring pack lunchs because some will bring a really healthy lunch and others will bring c**p plus one will always want what the other one has got so i find it easier to give them all the same.

Cammie Doodle
22-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Packed lunches supplied by the parents for me, so easy and gives me the flexibility to have a quick picnic when the weather is good. Sorry not much help but seriously consider not supplying food the benefits are huge.
I ask parents to follow my healthy eating policy and never had a problem.

Snap that is what I do

littlestars26
22-02-2010, 02:35 PM

I have a weekly menu you planner but arnt sure how to send it if u send me your email address i will try

jojane
22-02-2010, 02:57 PM
my 2 los have snack lunch and cooked tea
lunches
picky plates - cackes, cheese, chicken chunks,ham, tomatoes, cucumber, carot etc
scrambled eggs on toast
pesto pasta
sandwiches
savoury pancakes
eggy bread
toasted sandwiches
pitta breads

teas
risotto
lasagne
spag bol
meatballs and spaghetti