PDA

View Full Version : Child Minding Advice?

Bubbles1
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi there,

I have wanted to work & care for children for a long time & more recently taken a keen interest in childminding. I am presently an Accounts manager which I have been for 7 years.

I am not registered as yet as still trying to assess the pro's & con's to see if it is the right career change for me.

I am 36 years young and also 4 1/2 months pregnant with my 1st child & maybe looking to follow down the childminding path nearer the end of the year (my due date is 12th July).

Please can you give me your advice to the pro's & cons of the job..

Thank you kindly!:thumbsup:

Blaze
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I would start the registration process as it can take up to 9 months to complete!

TBH - I would stay employed take your full year maternity leave -& register whilst on it - return to work for six weeks so you don't have to repay anything & then start minding - that's what i would do if i was in your position.

Good luck for the future:)

Pipsqueak
03-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Pros:

its a great job - hard work but very rewarding, different everyday
you are paid to play (or thats the way I look at it)
you can earn a good income
you are at home for your own
you are self employed

Cons:
you are self employed - work might not be regular
payment issues, behaviour issues
a fair amount of paperwork initially and then the upkeep
lots of toys/equipment/resources - it can feel that you house has been taken over
childminding is hard work

thats just a few, I think if you are organised and in a positive frame of mind about it, it can work out really well.
I enjoy my work (99% of the time):thumbsup:

Bubbles1
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I would start the registration process as it can take up to 9 months to complete!

TBH - I would stay employed take your full year maternity leave -& register whilst on it - return to work for six weeks so you don't have to repay anything & then start minding - that's what i would do if i was in your position.

Good luck for the future:)

Thanks Blaze that is good advice... I was intending keeping this from my employers until my 9 months leave is up anyway. I didn't realise that the full process could take this long!!

:thumbsup:

Bubbles1
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Pros:

its a great job - hard work but very rewarding, different everyday
you are paid to play (or thats the way I look at it)
you can earn a good income
you are at home for your own
you are self employed

Cons:
you are self employed - work might not be regular
payment issues, behaviour issues
a fair amount of paperwork initially and then the upkeep
lots of toys/equipment/resources - it can feel that you house has been taken over
childminding is hard work

thats just a few, I think if you are organised and in a positive frame of mind about it, it can work out really well.
I enjoy my work (99% of the time):thumbsup:

Thanks Pipsqueak

I am under no illusion that childminding is hard work! It's clearly a job that takes a special person & I truly hope that I can fit the bill....

Lots more to look into first...:idea:

Bubbles1
03-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Is there any specific set of qualifications required for child minding?

Or anything that could help?

kindredspirits
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
find your local authority website that will tell you all you need to know about registering and courses you need to do.

Pipsqueak
04-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Is there any specific set of qualifications required for child minding?

Or anything that could help?

the only qualifications are - the ICP and First aid (which is renewal every 3 years).

depending on the authority you will probably get the opportunity to go on other training such as safeguarding. I would say that if your LA offers it - go on it when you can.

Pipsqueak
04-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks Pipsqueak

I am under no illusion that childminding is hard work! It's clearly a job that takes a special person & I truly hope that I can fit the bill....

Lots more to look into first...:idea:

hun - just by your interest and questions I reckon you sound like one of them 'special people':thumbsup: :D

good luck:D

mammumof4
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
hi, i love my job, it means i can be home for my own family when they get home from school/work.
the money isnt too bad if your willing to put the hours in! :)
i love arts and crafts! i love cooking,baking,swimming,reading,singing,dancing,be ing silly,cuddling up on cold days. all skills needed to be a childminder!! :laughing:
BUT...... its by far the hardest job ive ever had! i have worked 6 till 6 all week, ive been up since 5 am. ive hurt my back and my feet are killing me as i have hardly sat down, im so behind with my paper work, my kids homework needs doing, my ironing pile seems to get bigger just by looking at it:laughing: i have a late payer and a parent that wants me to do EVERYTHING for her (wont go into detail on here!)

but dont let me put you off, every day is different and im just tired. will feel better on monday. i hope! :D

good luck.