PDA

View Full Version : what to do?! coughs and colds

charliegee
03-02-2010, 02:57 PM
hello all - hope you're well and wondering if you could help?!

I'm minding one child today together with my own LO.

mindee is FULL of cold...runny nose everywhere and a great hack of a cough BUT is happy in themselves and able to join in activities.

would you ring to tell the parents? - we are talking full of cold but as I say....happy in themselves

thing is I know if my one catches it...we'll have to go to docs (my LO is prone to chest infections....)

x

little chickee
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I take kids who have coughs and colds as long as they arent reaaly ill.

If lo is that full of the cold im sure her parents are already aware of it so if you are happy to continue to look after her i would just mention it at pick up

Ripeberry
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
My mindee has not been without some kind of cough or cold since November! Even his mum has been laid low for a couple of weeks. I don't feel that well myself, but as long as he joins in, eats and is happy I'll still take him.
Just have to dose myself up to the Max with Lemsips and go to bed early as he gets here at 7.30am and leaves by 5.30pm.
My own kids are not too bad, except my 5yr old has a funny voice...poor thing.

Tink
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't phone parents for coughs and colds, if the child is ok in themselves then i'd just keep them warm.

There's not much parents can do for them anyway and it would probably cost them money or have to take an holiday day

vix84
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I know how frustrating it is when you have a lo who seems to end up far worse than everyone else, my mindee always brings in the bugs and illnesses, and is fine with them, but then my ds gets it and is really poorly.
So I always check for temperatures at the first sign of a sniffle, as they are sent straight home if they have one to protect the others.

I think its the worst part of the job and it really annoys me and the oh, we are exposed to triple the amount of illnesses by having the mindee's and their parents coming to the house, it actually annoys me when the parents come to the house to collect when they are off ill with a really bad cold/flu etc. as its so easy for everyone else to then pick it up.

Im actually going to write that in the bullet points for policies, about trying to get someone else to collect/drop off if easily possible if they are ill, or to be thorough about washing their hands before coming here.

Mindee is off today as has a streaming nose, felt warm, but no temperature and was up in the night, he gets a bad cough too, but with all his spluttering yesterday the rest of them are bound to get it. Sure he will be back tomoz though as he is usually always happy when ill!

It is the bad part of the job Im afraid! I only exclude for a temperature though, or if I really didnt want ds to get it I would exclude but take it un-paid, if for instance he had been ill for months etc.