PDA

View Full Version : 7 month old won't take savoury food from me

IndigoViolet
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi, wonder if anyone can give me some advice.
I've been minding a 7 month old girl for over a month now, and I'm having problems getting her to eat anything savoury. I make different food, different combinations, using bland or exciting, recipes from good baby books, or my own concoctions, things that my own daughter wolfed down when she was the same age. She clamps her mouth shut and absolutely refuses to eat it. I'm lucky to get three spoonfuls down. When I bring pudding (yoghurt or fruit) she can't eat it fast enough! Her mother tells me she eats fine at home. I'm getting frustrated (which the baby is no doubt picking up on) and want to nip this problem in the bud because I feed her twice a day four days a week. I've cut out her milk mid-afternoon, but I think her mother is worried that she will not be getting her ideal quota, and I feel that it maybe isn't my place to make this decision.
Many thanks for any tips.

sarah707
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Why not ask parents to supply food she eats at home for a few days and see how that goes? :D

IndigoViolet
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Why not ask parents to supply food she eats at home for a few days and see how that goes? :D

I've asked, but her mum is reluctant to do that, saying that the baby needs to learn to accept my food. I think I might try and raise the question again, I can't bear letting the poor thing go home hungry every day.

sillysausage
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Could you ask mum for her recipes? maybe the consistency of your food differs from that of mums. What about finger foods as per the baby led weaning route? Or if she won't take the savoury food to start with will she take it after a yoghurt or some fruit?

sweets
03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
your LO is propably a bit young to be 'tricked'! but ive resorted to putting savoury foods into a yogurt pot before! it can work:laughing:

Minstrel
04-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I had one like this and i got the dinner and pudding together and just alterated each spoonful. She was confused bless her but the thought of maybe getting a sweet taste was a gamble she was prepared to take! :)

Monkey1
04-02-2010, 06:11 AM
I have had this problem. I think you might find parents are feeding her jars and thats probably why she doesn't want to provide it! Get one and just see........i bet she eats it all! I finally managed to get J to have hers by holding the yoghurt pot infront of the food bowl and firstly a spoon of food with just a dip of yoghurt on the end, then progressed to one spoon of each (she always opened her mouth as she was never sure what she was gonna get!) and now she eats all her food before i get the yoghurts out of the fridge!............apart from Mondays when i have to start again....wonder why:rolleyes:

sonia ann
04-02-2010, 06:45 AM
I have had this problem. I think you might find parents are feeding her jars and thats probably why she doesn't want to provide it! Get one and just see........i bet she eats it all! I finally managed to get J to have hers by holding the yoghurt pot infront of the food bowl and firstly a spoon of food with just a dip of yoghurt on the end, then progressed to one spoon of each (she always opened her mouth as she was never sure what she was gonna get!) and now she eats all her food before i get the yoghurts out of the fridge!............apart from Mondays when i have to start again....wonder why:rolleyes:

:laughing: I thought I was the only one to do that.......but I now don't have any problems with my mindee

littletreasures
04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I used to do the yogurt trick too. Worked every time!!

Good luck

Mouse
04-02-2010, 09:40 AM
lol! Yes, it's the yoghurt trick here as well! I put savoury food on the spoon, then just dip the very end in a blob of yoghurt. Once they're eating well, I stop the yoghurt.

It sounds to me as if they may be feeding the baby jars of food. Even the savoury ones are so sweet, it's no wonder baby doesn't like your 'proper' savoury food.

I don't actually provide food while babies are weaning. I say that parents need to send the food (homemade or jars), so that the child is having the same with me as they have at home, incase of allergies (baby has to have eaten the food at home before I will give it to them) and so that parents have a say over what their child is eating. I start providing food once the child can eat whatever we're eating.

RedDragon
04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
I had one like this and i got the dinner and pudding together and just alterated each spoonful. She was confused bless her but the thought of maybe getting a sweet taste was a gamble she was prepared to take! :)

That's exactly what I do- it works and makes me laugh because they can't work out how 1 minute it's the 1 they like and next the 1 they don't.:D