PDA

View Full Version : tandem or side by side double?

Joannechildmind
03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
what one do you rate the tandem or side by side double?

At the min i have a side by side, but pushchair just about fits on the path and with littlie (4) walking at the side doesnt leave much room. The mindies are 15 mths and 2 i am considering getting a tandem from Ebay.

would a tandem be ok for the ages of children i have?

Pipsqueak
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't get away with the tandem, i prefer side by sides

patevans
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I have a tandem and always have, we have an alley way to walk down to get to school and it has some railings that you have to get through and a side by side wont fit thrugh them :eek:

louise
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I use to have a side by side but after a month off having to move/dodge bins, get older ones to let go ect i went for a tandem. Must say i prefer it at the mo. I have two 21 month olds in it. Im still getting use to the length though.I dont find it any heavier to push infact easier but then my old mclaren had timy wheels. I know pick 3 up from school and its handy as one can hold on near the front and two on the handles. The only bad thing about mine is its heavy to lift when folded but i dont drive so it hasnt been much of a problem.
this is the one i have http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/26/8419/graco-quattro-tour-duo-tandem---orbit/
i got it from them but i didnt pay that it was only 190 in oct.

patevans
03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I use to have a side by side but after a month off having to move/dodge bins, get older ones to let go ect i went for a tandem. Must say i prefer it at the mo. I have two 21 month olds in it. Im still getting use to the length though.I dont find it any heavier to push infact easier but then my old mclaren had timy wheels. I know pick 3 up from school and its handy as one can hold on near the front and two on the handles. The only bad thing about mine is its heavy to lift when folded but i dont drive so it hasnt been much of a problem.
this is the one i have http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/26/8419/graco-quattro-tour-duo-tandem---orbit/
i got it from them but i didnt pay that it was only 190 in oct.

thats the one I want but just cant affford to spare that amount of money :crying:

Joannechildmind
03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
i live in a flat at the moment so space is a big problem to do they fold down ok? at the moment my double goes under my dds bed when not in use.

We are on the 1st floor so i keep it folded downstairs when im using it during the day. i have an umbrella style one just noticed today the raincover is ripped and the bit where you open the hood (the bit u push down to fully open it) has broken and now the hood flops about a bit one side. Was a bargian last year when i bought it for £10 off ebay.

have been watching abay like a hawk

The Juggler
03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
i think the tandem would be easier now my toddlers like to walk some of the time and like someone said you end up taking up the whole pavement and dodging lamposts but I have a dodgy elbow and think I would do it no favours trying to turn and lift a tandem up and down kerbs.

beccas
03-02-2010, 02:59 PM
i have a cosatto duet light and its so good and easy to push i have either 9mnth and 1 yr old or 1yr old and 21/2 year old in it i got mine off ebay was abargin at £77 including postage. have alook on there

Bitsy Beans
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I have a tandem - Mothercare Phoenix. Loads of room and quite easy to maneouvre. I bought mine second hand off ebay for £70 (and it came with the raincover which you normally have to buy separately).

ajs
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
i have a side by side and love it but it is wide and i can't fit through all the shops in town so when a friend was selling her twins tandem i bought it off her.
at first i loved it but i realised that it was killing my wrists and that every evening they were really sore so i have gone back to the side by side and all is well again

hello kitty
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Can anyone recommend one that folds easily to fit into the boot of my Grand Voyager?

Blaze
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I love my side by side - i don't mind my tandum - but if you have two the same age - one always seems a little squashed in the back!

Joannechildmind
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I love my side by side - i don't mind my tandum - but if you have two the same age - one always seems a little squashed in the back!

yes thats the trouble and exactly what i was worried about :rolleyes:

Blaze
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
LOL -You'll have to do what I did & buy one of each - then you can pick or choose depending on the circumstances!:D :thumbsup:

Gizmo
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a side by side and its not that much bigger to push than my pram and it fits in the boot of my fiesta

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3761494/Trail/searchtext%3ETWIN+PUSHCHAIR.htm

jus noticed its now half price :thumbsup:

miffy
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I've only ever used a side-by-side.

Don't like the idea of a tandem as the child in the back can't see much.

Miffy xx

Merry-Minder
03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I have the silver cross duo side by side - its quite light (for a double) Pushes well, and fits threw my front door - which was a big deciding factor for me when choosing.
It also fits easily into my astra boot (which is quite small)
It cost me £180 that included two footmuffs and the rain cover.

Good luck - double pushchair shopping is mine field!!

xxx

Heaven Scent
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
LOL -You'll have to do what I did & buy one of each - then you can pick or choose depending on the circumstances!:D :thumbsup:

Snap - I have one of each but they are very different - I have a Mothercare tandem umbrella forl for the boot of my car which is brill for getting around shops but can be quite hard to push and I certainly wouldn't want to push it on a long distant walk.

My other one is a Mothercare Urban Detour 3 wheel jobby and its fab for walking I could walk for miles and miles.

I bought both of these second hand so its sheer fluke that they are both from Mother care. Both were spotless and in fab condition when I bought them one from e-bay and the other from a friend who was giving up minding - I paid about £50 for both.

I have to say though I have a fleet of prams and pushchairs - one for every circumstance possible - actually I have the umbrella folding ones for my limited boot space in the back of my C8 1Xtriple (ancient that was given to me by a local minder and only comes out when I really really need it) 1Xdouble (mentioned above) and 1Xsingle (I actually have 2 one for winter and l for summer was given the summer one - (Maclaren - no foot muff but is way lighter) just after I bought the Chicco Winter London when it was half price in argos last year.

For out walking I have a the double mentioned above then a buggy for 3 - not a triple that I bought from someone on here it has 2 back to back seats (only one suitable for a very young child) and an in built buggy board for an even older child - I love it and use it at least once per week and sometimes more often - it suits the childre I have at the moment. My out walking single is not in brill condition - its a very old black and greyish/green Urban Detour - someone on here actually sent me two foot muffs for it and that has dressed it up a bit - its missing the bar that goes across the front and the wheels are rusty but I only paid £8.00 for it at a car boot sale. Every child that I put to sleep in it sleeps for hours they love it because its so roomy and comfey and like the double its fab to push and I could walk for miles with it.

Sorry I went off the point but it may give you some idea into the advantages and disadvantages of different buggys/pushchairs.