PDA

View Full Version : what age does the destructive mood stop?

terrydoo73
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I have twin mindees aged 21 months. I took them today to a Toddler Group - the last time I had been at this Group was before Christmas and only stayed half an hour then as I was up to high dough the whole time trying to keep them out of trouble.

I thought they were doing OK today until the leader said to me - "your two are just at that stage where they don't want to play just wreck and destroy everything". I know they have this habit at home of pulling a box of toys apart and then moving onto another box. Having said that I restricted them to my living room this evening with just 2 boxes - a box of cars and another called my senses box and they were just sitting wheeling all the cars back and forward across the sofas with all the correct expressions etc.

What age do you think they will stop being so destructive and vandalise everything?

Straws
02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
LOL, reminds me of my son when he was that age, he's 13 now and still destructive, only now I hit him where it hurts in his pocket, no pocket money until its replaced, dont know what age they stop sorry not very helpful I know lol,

Straws xx

Alibali
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Well!! I've just spent 3 hours in dd's room clearing up after the destruction!

Guess who has no laptop till tomorrow:laughing:

I think if you continue to be consistent in guiding them not to be destructive and parents do the same at home they should get over it soon. I wouldn't worry too much, it's all part of growing up:)

francinejayne
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
My youngest is 21 months old and before Christmas he was positively angelic. In the new year we re-started playgroup, and it is like taking a different child with me!!! I spent all session on Monday following him around, telling him not to snatch toys off children, telling him not to blow raspberries in their faces after I made him give their toys back, and apologising on his behalf to the other parents!!! It is just a phase they go through, and with consistant messages and good distraction techniques it should pass soon. Hopefully!!!! ;)