PDA

View Full Version : Pre reg Inspection questions!

clairebear
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi.

Im currently on the course to become a childminder and have completed all my ofsted forms, Just waiting for my references to complete letters to add with application.

My questions are-

Does the inspector give you an answer on the day if you will become registered?

How much do they focus on asking questions on eyfs on this first visit? Im still trying to catch up and learn as much about it as i can

Do you have to have all policies etc written up and available to see?

With items like stairgates and other items of this kind, do i need to have them ready on this inspecton?

If anyone could let me know any answers that would be great, or if anyone has had a pre reg inspection recently and could talk me though exactly what to expect, That would be fantastic.

Im so excited to become a childminder that im starting to become worried and nervous that something may go wrong! Just want to be prepared!!

Thanks in advance!! Claire .

Tink
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi.

My questions are-

Does the inspector give you an answer on the day if you will become registered?
They will say if they would recommend you or not, then it depends on your other checks, CRB etc
How much do they focus on asking questions on eyfs on this first visit? Im still trying to catch up and learn as much about it as i can
Mine just asked what I understood about the EYFS and what experience you have etc
No but if you have them they will have a look to make sure your on the right track
With items like stairgates and other items of this kind, do i need to have them ready on this inspecton?
No you can say what you are going to buy to make your home safe

Im so excited to become a childminder that im starting to become worried and nervous that something may go wrong! Just want to be prepared!!
Don't worry you'll be fine

Remember; your pre-reg is for Ofsted to offer help it's not a test if you have any questions ask them when they come, they are nice, honest
Good luck xxx

SparklingGems
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi.

Im currently on the course to become a childminder and have completed all my ofsted forms, Just waiting for my references to complete letters to add with application.

My questions are-

Does the inspector give you an answer on the day if you will become registered? No unfortunately they will tell you how many children you can have and if they have any probs putting you through but they wont tell you your registered until your crb and health check are completed

How much do they focus on asking questions on eyfs on this first visit? Im still trying to catch up and learn as much about it as i can They are pretty informal questions fill in the preparing for ofsted registration booklet that came with your application that helped me lots.

You dont have to have them but she will ask or she did to me what you would put into your safeguarding policy, your complaints policy. so it helped me having them because I had it in black and white to refer to but you dont have to have them done
With items like stairgates and other items of this kind, do i need to have them ready on this inspecton? No as long as your explain to her where you will put them and talk to her about any safety issues you have though of and how you intend to minimise the risks eg stair gates, socket covers etc

If anyone could let me know any answers that would be great, or if anyone has had a pre reg inspection recently and could talk me though exactly what to expect, That would be fantastic.

I had my pre reg in Jan to be honest I was extremely worried I didnt know anything but they ask you questions and they give you prpmpts if your struggling. I had a note pad and jotted stuff down as she advised me of certain things.

She walked around my house asked me re safety issues, riskassessments what I intended to use cetain areas for, my fire drill plan.

Then we sat and chatted about signs of abuse, complaints against myself, what circumstances would you contact ofsted. How I intended to show a child was progressing in their learning and development etc.

There were other questions on delaing with behaviour, working with parents etc

Then at the end 2.5 hours later she said she had no probs with putting me through and said I could have full numbers and just had to get a fire guard in place before I started minding.

Its pretty informal really and write questions down as I didint and forgot everything I wanted to ask til after she left.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Vyx
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Everything they said! LOL

I had mine yesterday and it was really nothing anywhere near what I thought it was going to be :laughing: no matter how many times others on here tried to reassure me.

They do tell you on the day if you have 'passed' the inspection part of the process but then you are still subject to checks and CRB.

It's surprising how many of the 'questions' are covered off in conversation. She did ask me specifics and like Gems said, she prompted me to help, they don't ask you every single question :D

I did have a fair few polices done (and Risk assessments) so she did have a flick through them. I personally felt better having done some, and the process of putting them together really helped me in terms of the questions, iyswim.

No you don't have to have EVERYTHING. I don't have my own kids so I have very little in terms of equip (I have a few gates and a donated playpen) and ZERO toys and it wasn't a problem. She was happy that I had a fairly good idea the kind of things I might need but that I wanted to wait until I knew the ages of my mindees.

hth

xx