PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for friend

SparklingGems
02-02-2010, 01:44 PM
An old friend contacted me after she heard I was registering as a childminder to ask my advice. Im not really sure what to say to her so I though I would post on here and ask for wonderful advise from you guys

My friends daughter aged 2.5 goes to 2 different childminders.

The first minder she has went to since she was 6months old. This childminder has never given my friend any info on EYFS she has never heard of any obs etc doesnt have a daily diary infact apart from initial policies and contracts and the odd info about hols she never gets any paper work at all. Having said that her daughter loves going to this setting she goes 3 days a week from 8.30 til 5, as the childminder only minds part time and my friend originally went back to work part time therfore only required these hours. They go on lots of visits to farms, the park, the beach and local toddler groups. This childminder runs a toddler group with another childminder two mornings a week so they are barely at the childminders home. My friends daughter cries at the end of the day when she has to leave.

The 2nd minder her daugher has only been with for 2 months. She goes on a thurs and fri from 9-5. This minder has had a few meetings with her to discuss eyfs. She gets regular obs to sign a daily diary and lots of info including newsletters etc. Her daugher fusses when going to this minder but once she is there she happily goes to play with the children. This minder does very few trips and when she does she charges the enterance fee and the parents have to provide packed lunch on those days to. Her daughter is sitting waiting at the door when she arrives to pick her up and is out the door so quick my friend hardly has the chance to say goodbye.

My friend had originially decided to keep her daughter with her original minder for the 3 days and find another minder for the other two to keep her continuatity of care. But now she is concerned about the lack of EYFS the first childminder offers. She has asked me a few questions giving me all the facts I have written above.

Will the lack of observations damage her development?

Is it more important that her daughter is happy or educated?

As a childminder do I think the first or the 2nd minder is better?
Would I move my child to the 2nd minder full time?

Now the way my thinking is going is that children have been childminded for years before the EYFS came into force and it never did them any harm. I do think that fun is very important along with education and my thinking is that this minder may do observations and just use them for herself. Just because she doesnt write them down doesnt mean she isnt working to improving the childs learning and development.

I would want the best start in life for my child and having learnt about the EYFS Im going to do obs etc on my own son. I do think it helps to pin point the childs weak areas so you can work together with other agencies and the child to improve them. I do think the childs happiness at such a young age is so important to.

I would keep things as they are therfore she can have obs two days but have the continuitoty of care the other days and have the best of both worlds.

But Im not sure if this is whats best for the child and I am thinking in parent mode as Im to new a childminder to think from a childminders point of view

Please would anyone e kind enough to give their opinions.

Thanks

caz3007
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
If it was my child, the first minder would win every time. The child is happy and like you say I am sure she is doing some sort of obvs even though she perhaps isnt sharing them with the parents.

I wonder when her next inspection is due, then it would show up if she is lacking in the recording side

little chickee
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I would prefer the first minder for my kids - the paperwork comes 2nd for me (mind you i'm in Scotland so have less to do!:clapping: ) the care the first minder is giving just sounds better and more fun for the kids.

haribo
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
my first thought would be "what does paperwork prove?" and what does a happy child prove ?? as far i i can see us doing obs is to prove to ofsted we are doing our job properly and having a happy child proves to parents we are doing our job properly !!! personally i dont mind doing the paperwork but im not doing my job any better than i did 15 years ago . i do enjoy being able to show the childrens development though and feel much more `professional`:thumbsup:

mamasheshe
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
i have a childminder friend who is very in demand in my area she is slightly older and has been minding since her now grown up children where little she is so brilliant at her job and does all the right things , outings planning in her head ect but at her own admission doesn't agree with all of the paper work and will struggle to keep her "good" i would still send my children too her but she's always full !!!!!!!

SparklingGems
02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you guys I too think the first minder is the one I would choose.

I think the EYFS is just a way of recording what a good childminder does every day without thinking about it.

I will suggest she reads her original minders ofsted report to see what that says but to be honest all the ofsted report shows is how you were that one day.

Thank you

jaja
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
1st wins every time, i think that although she doesnt share her obs with parents whats so wronge with that? the child is happy and settled and paperwork has to come in second, as long as its being done, lts face it paperwork is for ofsted not the parent. I havent shown any of my obs to parents, as the child is happy and content and at the end of the day school dont show me however if a parent needs to see it or the children arent progressing enough or theres a problem then i would show all the parents the information, i think sometimes people reliy on paperwork than how a child is with a childminder or teacher, shorley the best person to talk too (age dependent) is the child or mother, does she feel something is wronge wiht the first minder? does she think that the second minder is better because she does the paperwork?? in my book, its the connection/relationship a childminder has with the child and that all areas of the childs life are being cared from, eyfs to emotional to physical not just paperwork....

Being cared for by two minders isnt recommended by ofsted (do told me) however, the child is settled and happy surley thats what matters..?... i would keep her at both and carry on, talk to the 1st minder and see what she says but in my opion dont try and fix something that doesnt seem to be broken....

now i am off my soap box i am going to pick the kids up from school now, i hope what i have written makes sense and doesnt offends anyone xx

SparklingGems
02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
1st wins every time, i think that although she doesnt share her obs with parents whats so wronge with that? the child is happy and settled and paperwork has to come in second, as long as its being done, lts face it paperwork is for ofsted not the parent. I havent shown any of my obs to parents, as the child is happy and content and at the end of the day school dont show me however if a parent needs to see it or the children arent progressing enough or theres a problem then i would show all the parents the information, i think sometimes people reliy on paperwork than how a child is with a childminder or teacher, shorley the best person to talk too (age dependent) is the child or mother, does she feel something is wronge wiht the first minder? does she think that the second minder is better because she does the paperwork?? in my book, its the connection/relationship a childminder has with the child and that all areas of the childs life are being cared from, eyfs to emotional to physical not just paperwork....

Being cared for by two minders isnt recommended by ofsted (do told me) however, the child is settled and happy surley thats what matters..?... i would keep her at both and carry on, talk to the 1st minder and see what she says but in my opion dont try and fix something that doesnt seem to be broken....

now i am off my soap box i am going to pick the kids up from school now, i hope what i have written makes sense and doesnt offends anyone xx

My friend has no probs with the first minder at all she is happy with the arrangement but the 2nd minder keeps expressing how important obs are ands its making her doubt herself. She told her to use her head not her heart coz her childs educations at risk.

I can see your point about not fixing stuff if its not broken but its hard when someone is putting doubts in your head and as a parent sometimes its hard to know what to do for the best.

caz3007
02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=SparklingGems;630415]My friend has no probs with the first minder at all she is happy with the arrangement but the 2nd minder keeps expressing how important obs are ands its making her doubt herself. She told her to use her head not her heart coz her childs educations at risk.

QUOTE]

Probably cos CM2 wants a full timer. My children have done well at school and never had written observations, but were taught by me in my way at home. In my opinion too much is put in a pre schools education, in most cases when a child is nurtered properly then they will be educated to a level necessary for school.

Perhaps CM2 puts to much emphasis on education and not on fun, hence the child not being so happy there.