PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed and Fast

claire2211
02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Started New baby today. 8 months. Mum carries him everywhere in a sling. He has been alone with me since 8.30 and has not stopped crying (noise but without tears). I have a very busy day on a tuesday and I did explain this to mum. He stops instantly if I pick him up. I've tried all my usual tricks with toys. Rusk in the high chair. Rocking/singing in the car seat but nothing but picking him up helps. I have to collect two little ones from play group shortly and I would like to help him settle a bit by then.

Any tips on this kind of behaviour? Other peoples experiences.

Thanks

helenlc
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Carry LO to reassure him but also put him down on the floor/in the highchair etc. He will cry but what you need to do is increase the time inbetween you holding him. First it might only be a minute or two but then you are aiming to build up to longer periods.

Also, while you are not holding him, talk and sing aware to him. Explain what you are doing and that you will be back to pick him up in a minute.

Also, try sitting on the floor with him next to you or between your legs - that way you are touching each other but you are not holding him and carrying him.

Remember its his first day away from Mum so its to be expected. Mum also carries him in a sling, so this is going to be new to him to not be held for quite so much of his day. He will need other reasaurance ie lots of chatting and lots of cuddles, but putting him down too.

Did you do settling in sessions - how did they go?

mamasheshe
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
i used to carry dd around in a sling all the time but used to leave the sling for anyone who was brave enough to look after them! so they could lie on it mine used to use it as a comfort blanket almost. Also sling babies usually like movement and to be able to see whats going on.

haribo
02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
i had a new starter yesterday a bit like this think its the age seperation anxiety is likely. i put her in the buggy and wheeled her round the house -when i was making lunch etc it helped a lot for her to be able to at least see me :D

claire2211
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone.

We did plan a settling in session next monday but just for half day. Then mum phone and asked if he could come today 8 - 6. I wouldn't normally have a new starter in this long on his first day but she was desperate.

We've had lunch since and he's having a sleep so fingers crossed he will feel a little better later.