PDA

View Full Version : Help.. Retainer/deposit how much too charge?

mandy moo
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Was going to put this in Fees and Charges, but thought I might get more of a response here.

I had a lady and her just turned 5 mth old visit yesterday, looking for care come September.
If she decides to place her child with me, I mentioned paying a retainer to keep the place open, which she was happy about, but neither of us had any idea on what I should ask for?

Can any of you kind ladies or gents with experience of retainers/deposits refundable or not, help give me some idea of what to charge, coz Ive no idea:o

Thanks

rainbowmummy
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I have only ever once taken a retainer, which was for one months full payment, for the month that I had to leave the place open for.
The child ended up not coming due to changes in family location (they moved to Africa with dads work) and I have never done since due to the guilt I felt.

From now until September is a long time. Will you have a full time vacancy available for that whole time? Will you need to turn other people away?

How about half fee for each month?
One weeks fee for each month
A one off fee of £100 or more?
Maybe do nothing until July and then charge if mum is def going back to work.

Sorry I am being unhelpful, good luck with whatever you do.

suzyblue
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
I charge half fees for a retainer if you have the space now.

mandy moo
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you for your replies ladies.
The 'problem' if you can call it that, is that I have never wanted more than 2 children, 3 at the most (full timers, preferably that is).

The child will possibly be with me 3 days a week, 7.30ish till 5pm.
He is 5 mths old, If they decide to come to me, he will start at the end of the summer (he'll be 1yrs old nearly) when her maternity leave finishes.
I really could do with the fees now, but new children too 'mind has been slow the last few months and this family is excatly what Ive been looking for, and from what she told me, what thay have been looking for.
Just the distance she has to travel to get to me tho, is what may put her off.

I have a child who I mind Mon to Wed 8.40am - 5pm, mum however is 4mths pregnant, due beggining july. she is the bread winner but due to ongoing scenarios with her partner and his job, I feel they might relocate.
Plus a 3 1/2 yra old whom I have on a Monday 11.50 - 4.30.

vix84
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I dont like retainers ............. never feel comfortable charging them - but what I think I would do, unless I really needed the cash, was if I got a phone call from someone interested in the place, and they visited and said yes they would like a place before the other one, then I would ring the family and say that has happenned. So do you want to keep the place open by paying the retainer from when the other person wanted to start, or do you want to let the place go.
That way its their choice, and if you have a new mindee lined up, you wouldnt feel bad about charging it. And you could also take on a temp. in the meantime if the situation arose, where as if you took a retainer, then you couldnt fill the space