PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

LeeAnn
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM
as with all my posts this is likely to be long and confusing!

I have 2 issues at the moment, I am hoping writing them down may help me to sort my head out and hoping for some experience maybe.

Issue 1 - I was given notice for a mindee, C , due to her Dad not working at the moment. Her Dad called me last night asking if I could do today. I agreed as obv I need the money. Now the 4 week notice oeriod would be up this week, BUT they gave me 4 weeks pay in lieu of notice , so am I within my rights to charge for today? I am confused.

issue 2 - It is likely that C will come back to me in April time when her Dad's work picks up a bit. But again it will probably be seasonal, big hours in the summer and then cut back in winter. I told them I would advertise and seeing as they aren't paying a retainer I am not technically holding the place.
I had an enquiry last night from a parent. The hours really aren't enough for me but at this moment it is better than not earning at all. The problem is that if I say yes then I will be earning some money right now, but also means I wouldn't be able to take C back in April, as I would have 4 under 5 which isn't allowed.

Short term I could take the LO but can't see it being enough for me long term :panic: I am scared to turn her down as this is the first enquiry I have had

LisaMcNally09
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Answering your first issue i dont think you can charge as they have paid already for that day....i know they said they didnt need the place but i think you have to be available if they do IYSWIM

Your 2nd issue is a tough one...i would take the work personally as anything could happen with the other one.....anything could also happen with your other mindees and as no contracts have been signed for original mindee to start in April i wouldnt take the chance.

hth

rainbowmummy
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Issue 1 - I was given notice for a mindee, C , due to her Dad not working at the moment. Her Dad called me last night asking if I could do today. I agreed as obv I need the money. Now the 4 week notice oeriod would be up this week, BUT they gave me 4 weeks pay in lieu of notice , so am I within my rights to charge for today? I am confused.

Hi LeeAnn

If payment has been recieved for this week (Thats how your messages reads) then I don't think you can ask for additional money but if I have misunderstood and that you are having C after the four week notice period of course you should charge!

rainbowmummy
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
issue 2 - It is likely that C will come back to me in April time when her Dad's work picks up a bit. But again it will probably be seasonal, big hours in the summer and then cut back in winter. I told them I would advertise and seeing as they aren't paying a retainer I am not technically holding the place.
I had an enquiry last night from a parent. The hours really aren't enough for me but at this moment it is better than not earning at all. The problem is that if I say yes then I will be earning some money right now, but also means I wouldn't be able to take C back in April, as I would have 4 under 5 which isn't allowed.

I think I would take the new child. Maybe C could use the hours that the new child isn't. Having some money coming in is better than none and you'll always be in this dialema at this time of year unless you can agree a retainer fee. It can't be good for C to be going to a different carer every year!

HELEN10
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
As parent is still on notice and paying for it that day is included.

As for enquiry i would take it, no point in hanging on for C as that is not consistent income for you either, even though it may be more hours!

HELEN10

LeeAnn
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks so much for your replies.

re payment- thanks wasn't sure where I stood as the contract was ended staight away with 4 weeks money paid in lieu of them giving me 4 weeks notice. So the contract was ended on Jan 4th and I haven't had her since then. He just called out of the blue to ask me to keep her today.

The more I am thinking about this new LO the more I am thinking it wouldn't work. It is only for 8-10 days a month and they days would be 8-9am then 2.30 - 5pm.

I already have a LO whose Mum works shifts so it isn't regular hours and one after schooler.So they dont bring in much but it was ok because I had C who gave me between 15 and 30 hours every week. I really need something that will give me at least 15 hours every week. Even if I take on this LO I will need to try to find someone else which would be hard to try and fit in with all the pick ups I do already

ugh my brain is hurting trying to fit them all in and round each other

LeeAnn
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Have just sat down with a cup of coffee, my calender and an A4 notebook LOL think I should have done this in the first place but I was panicking a bit and couldn't see the wood for the trees

issue 1 - checked back my calender, I counted and counted and the 4 weeks was up on Friday past. So hatone is solved and seems I cn charge for today. Bonus!

issue 2 - mum also wanted care for older brother, still not sure if this will work out. I do a collection at a different school , but if he gets on the school bus then there is no prob as my son gets the school bus and I am always home 10 mins before the bus. Would this be ok for him to get the school bus? or so I have to collect?

Also I think I may be able to do them all They shouldn't overlap tp ofen, so if C did come bak and need some days then I would just have to tell her parents the days I wouldnt be able to do.

None of my parents have straight 9-5 jobs, they all work shifts or similar.

what do you think? tell me I am a numpty for getting in a tizz if you like :laughing:

Zoomie
02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I just wanted to say abt the 10y old coming on the bus.

You would need to do an independent arrival policy (see the bomley site).

I would go with what you have got, and if C comes back you can accommodate him in the bits and pieces you have available. Ofsted should also grant you a variation as you have previously cared for C.

Alibali
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you've got it sorted. One other thing, if you take on new child, and then existing mindee needs more hours ofsted may grant variation for continuity of care, but I'm not sure that if lo left then came back they would.

Could parents keep lo with you 1 day a week meanwhile? Keep lo in some kind of routine and may make it easier in the future.

LeeAnn
02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks girls

Alibali- I am going to speak to C's dad today and see if he has any idea what might be happening and let him know that I have someone interested. I am not sure CC wouold give me a variation, the problem would occur if they all wanted me on the same day. so it would mean having 7 children with four under 5. I am registered for 6 children no more than 3 under 5.

So would prob be too much, I am sure it would only be a few days per month that I owuld have to turn down C and3 of the children would be term time only so I would be available in the hols.

make no wonder my brain is hurting ! this is a lot to try and get my head around!

carol cameron
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
You could well get variation for four children under 5 but not for seven children if they are all under 8. I had to get my assisant to help out in a similar situation.. I managed though and I am sure you will too OFSTED wouldn't allow seven even though three of my children are coming to their 8th birthday very soon. You will manage to balance it all up though-us childminders are experts at multi-tasking! Cx:)