PDA

View Full Version : Teeth cleaning

Straws
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Quick question how many of you help children brush there teeth after meals, and do you need to get permission from parents to do this.

Straws

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Some of my earlier children do clean their teeth here

They provide their own little bag - toothpaste and toothbrush for this

Yes I also have a permission form

Nice site here to print out for the kids

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1755

It is not something I really offer though - but some of my children do come really early so its easier all around and it take no time really so its no bother

Angel xx

disney
12-03-2008, 09:58 AM
no i havnt cleaned any of thei teeth yet , havnt been asked but probably would if parents wanted me to and yes i would do a form . :thumbsup: x

Noodles
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I dont as a rule but i would do if asked and the parents provided the stuff for them:)

susi513
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I've discussed this with the Dental Health Foundation. They advise to leave 30 mins after the meal before brushing teeth.

Which means I don't have time to give breakfast & do teeth cleaning before school run so they have to do one or the other at home.

And they're not here for 1/2 an hour after their dinner so that just leaves me with lunch to think about.

And they advise its not necessary to clean teeth more than twice a day so if they are cleaning their teeth twice at home its not necessary to clean at mine as well. It is advisable to finish meal with cheese as this neutralises the chemicals to minimise damage.

So I would not clean teeth unless parents can't fit in 2 teeth brushings at home.

sarah707
12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I have been provided with free toothbrushes and toothpaste from the local Health Visitors.

I get signed permission from parents and I have a healthy teeth statement, which states how I will look after chidlren's teeth as part of our healthy living ethos.

I find many children as young as 2 brush independently at home - one 3 year old had teeth that were covered by deposits. when she first started brushing after lunch, she pushed the brush round her front teeth for 2 seconds, spat (and missed) and said 'done!' with a big smile on her face!

Now, using a timer and songs and lots of encouragement, she brushes for nearly a minute and gets to the back teeth she was missing before... :D

Tatia
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I ask all parents to provide a toothbrush (changed every 6 months) but I provide age appropriate toothpaste (I was having 2 year olds show up with Colgate extra whitening!). The 2 who show up at 6:45 and 7:30 brush after breakfast but the one who comes at 8 (these are all school agers) doesn't as he eats and brushes at home. The lo's brush during the day as soon as they have teeth and can sit up. My 11 month old mindee was having a blast just 20 minutes ago chewing on the brush himself (I only have him in mornings so his mum loves that he is learning dental hygiene here after morning snack).

I've always been a stickler for brushing and flossing (I'm actually a bit obssessive about it) so teeth brushing is an important part of our day. Although, that being said, unless I'm focussing on a dental hygiene activity, I would say there's no added emphasis placed upon it; it's only a normal part of our routine and we just get on with it.

Never thought of having permission forms or a policy, though. That's actually a good idea, especially as I provide the toothpaste. I'll get right on that!

Heaven Scent
12-03-2008, 01:20 PM
My mindees all brush teeth after lunch but its within 30 mins never heard of that one.

Celine

miffy
12-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a policy and permission forms should parents want me to do this but no-one has yet asked that I do so

Miffy xx