PDA

View Full Version : any cause for concern

jaytravis
12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
i look after a boy and girl from 7am till 9am age 4and 5 (brother and sister)
well they come dirty coat zips not working today the girl came in a dirty school shirt no jumper and its pouring and blowing a gale ouitside
in the lunch box is a sandwich and bottle of water they are up from 5.30 and only live a 5 min drive away i feed them but they are still hungery.
i had to pick them up from school yesterday and the girl had wet herself at school but as we waited for another mindee to come out my mate who uis a chil;dminder said what is she doing she was only standing there weeing herself she hadnt said that she needed the toilet. my mate offered to run homwe and get some of her girls clothes but her mum came and got them on the walk home from school.
my mate said do you think she would want to some of her little girls clothes as she obv needs them . even out of school they are not dressed right colthes to small etc
am i making this out bigger than what it seem or do i do something
im new to all this only starting in jan
so anyhelp would be great thanks

jaytravis
12-03-2008, 07:47 AM
for got to say neither of them can talk properly and their mum and dad a going through a divorce
thanks

sarah707
12-03-2008, 07:47 AM
It's a tricky one because some parents don't put personal hygiene and cleanliness to the top of their priority list - yet their children are still loved and well cared for.

I suggest you keep a record of what you are seeing and if you become concerned, you have a word with the parents. If you ocntinue to be concerned you could approach your local safeguarding children board in confidence to start with and just take their advice.

Hope this helps :D

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
This is difficult

They might really love and care for their children and not think being clean is important

There again they might be neglecting them ?

Hard to say really

I would keep notes about this and keep your eye on the situation

Good luck and keep us posted

Angel xx

miffy
12-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I think you should be recording your concerns but don't jump to conclusions

How long have you been having the children?

I'd also ask mum about food - just whether or not they have had breakfast just so you have an idea of if they might be hungry - some kids can not eat first thing in the morning. Also ask for coats for the children parents sometimes forget this if they are coming to you by car it's easily done.

Talk to parents and keep notes and see how it goes

Miffy xx

jaytravis
12-03-2008, 08:08 AM
thanks everyone i will start keeping a record i have only had them for 3 weeks
mum said she will stop giving them brekfast asa im giving it to them.
thanks stacey

yummymummy
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
This is so hard, I totally agree with Miffy and would record all your concerns and the incidents. I haven't found it with my childminding but when I help at school I see so many dirty coats or children with no coats, filthy sweatshirts etc and it is usually the high powered full time working mums. I don't think it is always neglect I think that the mums are so busy that it all goes on a back burner and they think that they will get dirty anyway so whats the point in putting them in anything clean!
I really feel for you though as it must be awful for you to see. Hope things improve. ;) X

crazybones
12-03-2008, 08:29 AM
This was the one question I got wrong on my Child Protection course, I did class it as neglect. The right answer was possible neglect and basically look at other factors before jumping to conclusions. Therefore, I agree with everyone else and record your concerns first and then decide whether you need to take any further action. Best of luck.

Annie x

Banana
12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I agree with what has been said.

Record your concerns and just keep an eye on the situation.

keep us updated

x

Polly2
12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
It might be that mum and dad are stressed with the divorce and some things are not getting done iyswim.

I would record like everyone has said but also give it some time. Things are obviously tough at home right now.

Annie_T
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
oh poor kids.

it is a hard one i agree, i would write what you see etc and try talk to one of the parents (if not both)
just coz their goign thru a divorce why should the kids suffer.
hygiene is a massive part of life so why are these 2 looking like this.
sorry makes me mad but they not mine to have a say or do anything.

disney
12-03-2008, 09:52 AM
yes a record is a good idea for example dates , times , what you seen and weather or not you spoken to the parents .you said that the little girl wet herself you need to record thing like this . with her parents having a divorce sometimes things like this could trigger her wetting herself .sometimes if things ineed to say to a certain parent so they dont feel singled out i write it in my news letter and give them all one like as the wheather is real cold could all parents bring hats , gloves , cardigans , jumpers and warm coats . dont know if it will help for you but it does for me :) x

elaineg
12-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I would record everything you see,

I would also tactfully say that a friend has a load of girls clothes her child has grown out of, they are no good to you would she be interested.

love Elaine XXX

Tily Bud
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
i agree with everyone else, record everything xx

Pipsqueak
12-03-2008, 01:43 PM
So what did school do about the little one weeing herself (am I right in the reading of your post that the girl peed at school and then again when she was with you)? Had they changed her - cleaned her up, notified you?

jaytravis
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
the girl did have a accident at school but to be honest the teachers never said she had and they never asked who i was i just said im picking up and that was it it a different teacher in the morning