PDA

View Full Version : Here goes

Alak123
10-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi :)

Shiny newbie here only joined today, but have just sat down after saying my hello's to you all and remebered a niggle that parent said to me tonight.

She is taking mindee to a funeral this week on a day I normally have him and has asked me where she stands on fees??? I have bought myself some time and said I would check my policies and procedures and let her know tomorrow. Same parent has done this before in taking a 1 day holiday and giving me 2/3 days notice and not paid me for that day, or expected me to do another day that suits her.

:panic: I will stop moaning on my first day, its just my OH's ears are getting a break and thinks forum is fantastic idea.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I can see why this becomes an addiction:clapping:

sarah707
10-12-2007, 07:47 PM
It really depends on what is written in your contracts... and what the parent is like.

It sounds like she does not want to pay you - I have this problem with parents, they sign the contract and then turn round later and say why should they pay me when they looked after their child.

TBH I usually leave it as I a. don't want bad feeling; b. don't want to lose the child; c. am luckily busy at the moment so it doesn't matter as much; d. can't be doing with the hassle (it's a small town, they're all inter-related etc)

I know others on here will say I am wrong and they will always hold out for the fees. Some would not mind the child again until they get what is due to them. There is no right or wrong way to behave.

This is a personal decision I think - sorry I'm not being much help am I?? It really is down to your contract and what you feel you want to enforce with the parent

carolinel
10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi :)

Shiny newbie here only joined today, but have just sat down after saying my hello's to you all and remebered a niggle that parent said to me tonight.

She is taking mindee to a funeral this week on a day I normally have him and has asked me where she stands on fees??? I have bought myself some time and said I would check my policies and procedures and let her know tomorrow. Same parent has done this before in taking a 1 day holiday and giving me 2/3 days notice and not paid me for that day, or expected me to do another day that suits her.

:panic: I will stop moaning on my first day, its just my OH's ears are getting a break and thinks forum is fantastic idea.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I can see why this becomes an addiction:clapping:

mmmm, not so sure OH will still think it's fantastic when you're well and truly addicted and on here every night!

To be honest, I would still charge. if you don't feel you want to charge her full fee reach a compromise and go half fee.

Good luck!

deeb66
10-12-2007, 10:40 PM
It depends on what you have written in your contract.

If you are due to be paid when parents/child takes holiday then you are entitled to it regardless of the reason.

Having said that I understand that it is a delicate situation in that she is going to a funeral. Was the deceased very close i.e. close relative or a family friend - that may have bearing on your decision.

If you feel that you want to let her off the payment then tell her that you have checked and she would be liable for payment but in the circumstances you are prepared to write the day off but make it very clear that all future days off HAVE to be paid for and that you cannot swop days and that those days will be charged as extra.

I hope this helps

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry but I am a softie and I would not care what my contracts said - if someone was going to a funeral then I would not feel that I could charge them for that .
It just would seem very mean

I know what the rules say that you should still charge etc and maybe you should - but I would NOT

You have to act here as a person and not see it as a job if you know what I mean.

With regards to her expecting days off and not paying I feel that this is another issue that needs sorting out but not at this time or with this situation

Sorry I could not help much

Angel xx

susi513
11-12-2007, 01:09 PM
For those of you who would feel more comfortable waiving charges in this situation, I would suggest doing a new contract with an item for "compassionate leave" included. Ie if parent takes the leave you waive the fee, if you take the leave they pay as normal. You'd need to state the acceptable reasons for taking such leave - eg attending funeral, attending a terminally ill relative. Have a maximum of 1-3 days each per year maybe so its not to easy to abuse the system?

If the parent doesn't like the idea of having to pay you if you have to go to a funeral and they have to use a substitute/take a day off then you can stick with the original contract and they can pay for their place - the place is still reserved for the sole use of the child even if they choose not to use it.

really, it ought to work both ways or not at all IMO.

susi513
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
And if a parent wants to swap days I have in my contracts that they have to pay for the day they originally booked (and I have reserved for their child) AND pay for the new day the child will actually attend.

I'm a meanie ... its the only way the bills get paid.

Alak123
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone:)

Thanks for replies, they were really helpful, I can see that I am not the only one that gets put in these awkward positions.

Had to laugh at Sarah's reply, :panic: I should'nt say this but I live in an interbred village as well and if word gets around I will probably be seen as the "meany" childminder of the village if I am not careful.

The funeral was for the parents great Auntie,(her mothers sister...I think). I want a quiet life and only have the one child at the mo so I suppose I will just have to do without.

Any hints and tips on advertising your childminding services, I never get pone calls and I am registered with cc and local council, I have flyers in all local shops and health centres, gumtree etc.

You all sound so busy working away. I am only doing 24hrs a week, really need to double that to pay the bills.

Think I have said it before but this forum is great..:clapping:

Thanks
Alak xx

Polly2
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
hiya

glad to hear you enjoying forum - its great isnt it

have you been round your local schools and play/toddler groups?

I also rang my health visitor and i have had 3 referrals from her so that was worth doing

hope this helps
hollyx

Alak123
11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Holly never thought of health visitor, I am going there on Friday so will give it a go.

Do all you lovely childminders out there take mindees to doc appointments or baby clinic? Not sure what the spec is there, with the gloves and apron needed when changing and all that now, got to keep myself right:rolleyes:

I think I am slowly coming addicted to this forum, well maybe not slowly I only joined yestereday, but started to look forward to loggin on....bad sign:laughing:

Alak
xx

LittleMissSparkles
11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Love your avatar Alak x

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks Holly never thought of health visitor, I am going there on Friday so will give it a go.

Do all you lovely childminders out there take mindees to doc appointments or baby clinic? Not sure what the spec is there, with the gloves and apron needed when changing and all that now, got to keep myself right:rolleyes:

I think I am slowly coming addicted to this forum, well maybe not slowly I only joined yestereday, but started to look forward to loggin on....bad sign:laughing:

Alak
xx

believe me before long you won't log out lol

xxx

Alak123
11-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks Susan

It was said to pick an avatar that fitted your personality and thought well I love my dog and kids are never far from my life thats the dummy part of it.

Theresa your right about not loggin out, I packed mindee of as quick as I could tonight, made tea, walked dog got kettle on and started to get excited about reading posts etc, some of your childminding website links are fab:clapping: not at that stage yet still mind you, still learning this forum site.

bye
Alak x

Pudding Girl
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, whereabouts are you in Scotland?

I have to say I love the idea of compassionate leave contract, and I am going to filch that idea!! I wouldn't want to charge for a funeral, but then it might be amazing how many funerals one person suddenly had to go to, that I then couldnt charge for ;)

I think 2-3 days compassionate leave is ample for most people.. and then still get paid for other inpromptu days they take off, if thats what you normally do.
( do you charge in advance by the way?)

Alak123
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Lou

Thanks for advice. After reading some of the post I will be rethinking my policies, I never thought 6 months down the line after registration I would get a funeral thrown at me, compassionate leave is an option, however like you say knowing my luck all my mindees parents will have "funerals" to go to all the time:angry: !!!

Never mind tomorrow is another day wonder what they will throw at me next??

Bye the way Lou I am in Fife Scotland, very lonely wee place on the coast.

Alak xx:D

Rubybubbles
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm going to sound hard now!! This is why I charge in advance! Payment is allready done!

Do understand about not wanting people to say bad things but I do belive you can do anything in life and it's only the bad things people ever remember!!:( So stuff it:laughing: !!

Alak123
13-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I like the idea of this charging in advance, but the only prob I have is mindees parent is at Uni/College and they pay me by cheque every four weeks in arrears, I had to work 4 weeks with out money. Parent subsides the amount, but again paid every 4 weeks, I have pushed for weekly but no joy.

Does other childminders have parents at uni and get paid that way?

I don't understand how some people have the backbone to treat other people the way they do, I like to think I treat everyone fairly but then you get walked over.....cant win!!!!:angry:

Bye
Alak xx

susi513
14-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I have had parents pay by various sources - tax credits, vouchers, employer etc. I like to make clear at the beginning, that if they are being funded by a 3rd party then it is the parents responsibility to ensure that whatever source of funding they use they pay me on time and it is the parent who will be billed any late payment fees. Usually the parent will pay me in advance to ensure the payment reaches me on time and then claim reimbursement from the 3rd party.

If pushed I would consider billing the 3rd party direct but I would want a named contact who I have spoken to and has signed either a copy of the contract or a separate written agreement agreeing to pay me on or before a set date and also the late payment fees if the payment hasn't reached me.

As my CCP tutor said, the parent wouldn't take a full trolley to the checkout and ask to pay next week because they don't get paid til then - childminders deserve the same respect as the checkout operator!

manjay
14-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of this charging in advance, but the only prob I have is mindees parent is at Uni/College and they pay me by cheque every four weeks in arrears, I had to work 4 weeks with out money. Parent subsides the amount, but again paid every 4 weeks, I have pushed for weekly but no joy.

Does other childminders have parents at uni and get paid that way?

I don't understand how some people have the backbone to treat other people the way they do, I like to think I treat everyone fairly but then you get walked over.....cant win!!!!:angry:

Bye
Alak xx

The parent I have is at uni and she pays in advance. Didn't give an option for her to pay any other way.

Amanda xx

buildingblocks
15-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I use the NCMA contracts as my main contracts and anything like this s whereI would use the second copy of the contract making them legally bound for payment. on my own contratcs for other ones the advantage of using the computer to make themmeans I can add on a nother signature. If someone else is responsible for part of the payment they are on the contract.

nannan
16-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Alak
welcome to the forum
sorry just seen this post,
I have a parent who is at college and yes they only pay in arrears, but you can make your invoice for fortnightly payments if you wish to, it makes it a little bit easy on your pocket, I send in an invoice every two weeks and receive my payment at the end of the two week period, the colleges normally receive they funding fortnightly in arrears that is why we can only get paid then. the uni is different as the parent receive they money ever quarter in advance so can pay us accordingly. hope this helps

clairemiranda
16-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I also have a parent at Uni and I'm a bit more flexible with her fees in that she pays me on a Monday for childcare to be provided that week.

I ask all other parents to pay monthly in advance, eg, pay by 28th of Dec for childcare services provided in January.

Once they've paid they don't get a refund for non-attendance. I think that sends a very clear message. If I had to invoice them AFTER providing care I'm sure I'd get mucked about

netty
16-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a parent who is at uni and fees are paid 4 weeks in advance. No refund is give if place is not used and if the parents are late paying a charge of £5 per day is added. Remarkably no parents are ever late with payment of fees.

Netty:)

Rubybubbles
17-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a parent who is at uni and fees are paid 4 weeks in advance. No refund is give if place is not used and if the parents are late paying a charge of £5 per day is added. Remarkably no parents are ever late with payment of fees.

Netty:)

oh yeah I have that too lol:D works well!! I also don't take children on UNTIL they have paided me too so if late, they're not coming in:laughing: .

Emma

Alak123
18-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all your advice on late fees. Spoke to mindees mum and she mumbled something about the College take a day to get the cheques to the classroom etc...I was due to be paid 13th Dec and did not receice cheque until yestereday 17th Dec and it was in the evening so could not pay in at bank.

Not sure how all you childminders can get parents to pay in advance as college cheque had my name on it, does anyone know if maybe that could be changed to the parents, then that way she could pay me up front then cash the cheque for herself if you know what I mean?????:idea:

Also a quick questions what do you all charge if mindee is to sick to come to childminders???

Cheers
Love
Alak xx

oakie dokie
18-12-2007, 01:28 PM
the answer to that question is "full fee". you are still available.

hazelx :)

Rubybubbles
18-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all your advice on late fees. Spoke to mindees mum and she mumbled something about the College take a day to get the cheques to the classroom etc...I was due to be paid 13th Dec and did not receice cheque until yestereday 17th Dec and it was in the evening so could not pay in at bank.

Not sure how all you childminders can get parents to pay in advance as college cheque had my name on it, does anyone know if maybe that could be changed to the parents, then that way she could pay me up front then cash the cheque for herself if you know what I mean?????:idea:

Also a quick questions what do you all charge if mindee is to sick to come to childminders???

Cheers
Love
Alak xx

full fee!!