PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL RUNS AND LO'S

It's a small world
01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi

I currently have 1 mindee (1yr) and my ds (2) I do a school run (3.15pm finish) and then go to my ds school (5-10mins away for 3.30)

Got a parent coming on Monday and was just wondering does anyone do 2 school runs as if this one comes to me will have 2 children with me/ out of car into pram/collect school children/back in car-pram away/drive to ds school/ lo'sout of car in pram and schoolies walking (7&9) collect my ds and then back to car all in car back to my house waiting to be collected.

Sometimes schoolies dont get out until 3.20 and its a mad rush to get to my ds's school children in pram (have been late by a couple of minutes a few times)

If you do 2 school runs how do you cope.My youngest schoolie (7) is allowed to be collected by his brother (9) and can meet me at gate eldest meets me at gate on Friday- mum suggested this. Could I get older brother to collect younger brother and meed me at gate so I dont have to get lo's out of car and be quicker than struggling to get everyone in car and being late for my ds. Or should I just not take on this new mindee (9mths- full time 8.30-5)

Not sure if its going to be a push...doing both schools??????????

TheBTeam
01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I know a childminder who has done this kind of thing for some time, she occassionally got a bit stressed with the first school letting out late, but on the whole no problems.

Not sure about meeting at gate though, if i was mindees mum I wouldn't want that.

It's a small world
01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I know a childminder who has done this kind of thing for some time, she occassionally got a bit stressed with the first school letting out late, but on the whole no problems.

Not sure about meeting at gate though, if i was mindees mum I wouldn't want that.

No I meet youngest at class (7) even though hex told me can meet at gate. Mum told me she's happy for eldest (9) to meet me at gate done it twice and he's been fine.

Blackhorse
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I do 2 school runs. Both schools finish at 3!!
I would usually have done this but there was nobody else with spaces and the 2nd school agreed to have the LO in the waiting area at reception until I get there to pick up.
I said it could be up to 15-20 minutes but they were all happy including mum.

so I have my dd 2 yrs, a mindee 4 yrs and on 2-3 days another mindee aged 18 months still in pushchair. other 2 are walking.

we used to get all 3 out of car and into schoolgrounds but it took forever especially when there was 3 of them and a pushchair to get in and out of the car.

the LO I am picking up though is old enough to walk out to the car. He really likes it in fact. I try to be 5 mins early to park at the same spot each day so he knows where we are. Sometimes if it is only the 2 girls we might go out for a welk to get the other mindee.

then at the other school I leave the kids in the car in fron the of the reception area as I can see the car and it is only 2 meters across a path...other LO comes straight to the door and we get back into car.

so you need to consider: can the first child at school come to the car or will you have to go in with all the kids?
where can you get the second one from? do you have to get them all out of the car again?
how long will the kids take to come out?

the first one I pick up used to take ages until we spoke to him (and mum) and asked him to be out faster..he was just fuffing around in school not coming out. Now he will be out 2-3 minutes past 3.
the 2nd lo takes ages to come out of school so she actually doesnt have to wait all that long at reception and luckily both schools are really close....

it is not something I would recomend but somehow it has worked out in this instance. I wouldnt have planned it that way....especially since when I tool on the 2nd LO it was only meant to be for 2 weeks...that was 4 months ago!