PDA

View Full Version : single mum funding childcare????

youarewhatyoueat
01-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi, has anyone any experience of being a single mum and paying for childcare??
I've got a mum on my books with 2 children who I have one of them 3 mornings and then both of them on a thursday while she attends college.
She has recently split from her husband, is getting no money but wants to carry on at college. She has asked at college for funding and no luck, is there any funding available, she has been told its only aimed at young mums/teens and not mums in their 30's!!!
She doesn't work at the moment and is just applying for benefits but no one has any help for childcare.
Would like to help but haven't really got any helpful sugges tions.

suzyblue
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Wouldnt tax credits pay for childcare?

youarewhatyoueat
01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
only if you work a minimum of 16hrs

Goatgirl
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
hi,
I think she needs to go back to the college.. I attended uni in my 30's and got access fund money toward my childcare. I'm sure they all have a certain amount allocated from govt funding, which they distribute between needful appicants. It may be better if she makes an appointment with a student councilor and tells them its for money advice, as they'll be up to scratch on what's available.
There was also a charity I applied to once on a college course which helped me out a little bit, but think it was a local one and have no recollection of what it was called anyway.
Surely if there's college help for young mums but not over 30's that's discrimination!?
Hope she finds a way :)

bws,
Wendy

youarewhatyoueat
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes I said to try at the college again but thinking about it, funding runs from april to march so chances are its either too late or too early!!!

Goatgirl
01-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, she may have missed cut off dates, but still worth getting someone to look into it for her I would think... with a councilor on side some kind of emergency funding might be more forthcoming. :)

caz3007
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I have an older mum who is doing a course and her childcare is paid via 'Care to Learn'. I think your income has to be below around £20k a year.

FizzysFriends
01-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Tell her to go and see her lone parent advisor at the job centre where she gets her income support from, they can fund childcare whilst in education.

Lady Haha
01-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Tell her to go and see her lone parent advisor at the job centre where she gets her income support from, they can fund childcare whilst in education.

Yes, I did this before I was a childminder! I was also in my 30s!