PDA

View Full Version : after schools club

terrydoo73
01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know what happens at after schools clubs?

Our local primary school is starting one this September and is encouraging a lot of Primary 1 children to sign up. I have one of my mindees signed up for it. I guess it will involve quite a lot of playing??? I think this will be a long day for my little mindee who will be starting school in September. Her mum is a teacher at the local High School and very rarely collects her daughter from me much before 5 pm or after most nights so I can imagine - 9 am school start, 2 pm finish school and then go to after schools club for 3 hours - a very long day for a little one!

Not that I mind her leaving me - it will get around this problem of what to do with her when my own daughter comes in from school at 3.45 and needs an hour to get herself sorted in terms of homework tea etc. Next year she moves into primary 6 and I think will have more to do in the evening as well.

twiggy
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Our local school has an after school club. Everyone was raving about it at first but I have now got a lot of business from children that didn't like it. I also have one child who went to breakfast club and was so hyped up from running around at breakfast club that he was always in trouble in class. I'm sure if you lose any children to it you will gain from it in a few months when they decide they don't like it.

The Juggler
01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
ours has tv, playstation, outdoor area - it's not v. exciting but kids seem to like it ok.

TheBTeam
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Our kids like the after school club generally because they are allowed to get away with a lot more physical or uncontrolled behaviour or 'hanging around' than in a home environment.

So generally if a parent asks for my honest opinion, I say they usually like it more for the very reasons I do not like it!

caz3007
01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Three years ago I had a huge influx of children from our local after school club...they are all still with me. Also has a couple more since.

I think the children find the local one too regimented and all have disliked going. They like it at my house cos they can chill and watch TV or play out in the garden, we do have rules, but now their mums say they think of it as a home from home

funfunfun
01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
:)

I actually work in a school - run the after school club by myself:D

we do cratfs/cooking/ict/science/exercise basically a bit of everything we talk about what we want to do together as a group for the next week . The children are always involved in the planning of what we do the following night /week.

The children play games etc we have a movie night once a week , we currently have pen pals from children in another country to share information regarding their cultures etc :D

Club is very popular and as my job is funded children only have to pay wait for it

65p :eek: from 3.15-5.30 inc of a light tea .......Although when i leave im unsure as to weather they will continue as they didnt have a club before i started . clb runs from mon-thurs and i have started a seperate pen pal club for fridays , for children who dont already attend.

Hope this helps any questions ???? ask moi