PDA

View Full Version : Environmental health visits

mummyjo
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I have just phoned my local environmental health to register as a food business and they have said that they will come out to visit me! Is this normal? I am getting worried now:(

Kes
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I have'nt had one but I have heard that they do this in some areas.

Kerry

funfunfun
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
They do NOW come out to have a nosey because of you preparing food/drink .:)

sarah707
01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
They have a right to enter your house at any time to check your kitchen...

It's perfectly normal in some areas to get a visit, others are a little slower but you are right to be registered.

You'll be fine!

Get a copy of this, it will help :D

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/startingup/childminders/

mummyjo
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks Sarah, thats really helpful. :)

skytvaddict
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Apparently they do in my area. My development worker told me yesterday. She said they mainly check you have a fridge thermometer and a food probe if you are serving protein.

I haven't rung them yet but really must soon

Leanne59
11-02-2010, 05:22 PM
hi, was just wondered, do the enviromental health except you to buy chopping boards for each food group? or is my friend not being truthful! I have a marbel one for meat and wooden one for fruit and veg.is that ok?
obvious I clean them after using raw meat before using cooked meat ect.

caz3007
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I think you should do. I use a different one for raw meat anyway, always have done and its kept just for that

saljan
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I saw a really nice chopping board set in Bhs for about £28.00 it was bright and cheerful and stud upright. but i got mine from sainsbury's for £3.99, different pictures to differenciate between meat/veg/chicken. (set of 4)

Straws
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
They were in and out in less than 5 minutes when they came mine, nothing to worry about at all, just checked if i knew what temp my fridge should be and how i knew when meat was cooked etc, shoved a probe in my fridge and went.

Straws xx

Merry-Minder
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I sent my reg form months ago and then never heard from them?? Im too scared to phone in case they say they will come out!!
When you send your form should you get some kind of reg cert??

Pauline
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Don't worry about it, like Straws says they do not stay long (well not for me anyway) and they were really nice and helpful.

It would be a good idea to have a separate chopping board for raw meat but don't spend a fortune, a cheap one would do.

:)

francinejayne
11-02-2010, 10:35 PM
They visited me today!!! He actually came on Monday but I was at playgroup so he arranged to re-visit today (though on Monday my other half did let him in and he had a brief nosey around). He was lovely, very friendly and as long as your kitchen is clean and you've got your food hygiene cert you'll be fine. Once they've been there should be no need for them to come again as long as everything was fine and there's no incidents in the future!
Stop worrying!!! :D

babs
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
they told me u didnt need a different board for everything just a separate one for raw meats .... and they dont visit in my area ...

Heaven Scent
12-02-2010, 12:24 AM
I've been minding since 2007 and have had two visits so far one in March 2008 & one last Autumn - He told me at this visit because I wouldn't let him in because he came 2 hrs before the appointed time and I went mad with him that next time I wouldn't have to have another inspection for a very long time.

I was really stroppy with him when he knocked first time and told him because he wasn't police checked that he couldn't come in until the children were sleeping as if one needed changing he may end up on his own with one of them if they wandered back into the kitchen while I was changing the other and that is why I was very careful about the time I made the appointmnet for. I also told him that because of all the extra paperwork involved that I was no longer proving hot meals (which I wasn't) and that I was seriously considering giving up minding altogether as I couldn't do my job properly between doing paperwork and not providing children with a hot meal in the middle of the day. Plus there was the added stress to myself and my family of having our home invaded by yet more inspectors especially a I was the only minder in the area who had to undergo them.

When he came back he'd spoken to his boss who said that I was not to give up minding and that I was to go back to cooking hot meals and just complete the Safer Food Better Business book and there should be no more need for further regular inspections. I don't know how true to their word they will be on less inspections - I was the only minder for miles and miles around being inspected but now there will be more and hopefully too many for them to be able to cope with.