PDA

View Full Version : minding a 10 year old

mumof1
30-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Im only newly registered and had my first enquiry this week, its for a 4 year old and 10 year old (both boys), the parent seems really keen and maybe i should be grabbing it with both hands. But im a little worried about the 10 year old, i worried i wont have enough for him to do and he will easily get bored. And also if we go out on daytrips and afraid he wont wana go.

Do any of you mind around that age?

Please give me some advice as i dont wana hang this lady on any longer.

gigglinggoblin
30-01-2010, 01:23 PM
My own is 10 and loves reading, cooking, lego, drawing, computer, playdough etc. Might be best to ask mum what he likes to do before you get over worried, they can be quite easy to entertain at that age (note thats can, not always are!)

Hebs
30-01-2010, 01:27 PM
i have a 10 (girl) and 11 (boy) year old mindees and my own son is 10 (on tuesday)

they will happily play with the little ones, they also love our outings, and love to do the same activities as the little ones, honestly i wouldn't fret about it.

i LOVE my older mindees, esp the 11 year old as he's so funny and loves to entertain everyone else :thumbsup:

haribo
30-01-2010, 01:32 PM
i mind a ten year old ,only after school so dont have to entertain her in the hols but she is really easy going- joins in with the little ones and is a great help:blush: she`been coming since she was 3 so grown up with us lol .give it a go it can be rewarding having older ones around (usually :laughing: :laughing: )

Hebs
30-01-2010, 01:38 PM
i find the hardest age 5 to 7 years, they seem to resent having to go to childcare the most.......

mrs c
30-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I mind a 10 year old boy after school and the odd day during the holidays. He likes to cook - we often bake bread + pizzas and use yeast as he loves to check for it rising. We also visit English Heritage/National Trust properties/country parks as there's always something of interest there to talk about. His biggest thrill is to dig at my allotment.

The Juggler
30-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I have two, my own ds and a mindee I had from age 5. they are great (most of the time). sometimes they drive me crackers but they play with and look after the little ones nicely.

mumof1
30-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks girls, i feel a little better abt it ni :)

sarah707
30-01-2010, 07:09 PM
It depends on the child!

I have a fab 9 year old and a 13 year old who pops in a few nights a week for tea and somewhere quiet (:laughing: ) to do her homework.

They are both fab and sort out their own drinks, snack etc so I can care for the little ones.

Just make sure you have a 4 week settling in in your contract so you can terminate if it's not working out.

Hth :D

beccas
30-01-2010, 07:13 PM
i have several over 8 i have 2 eights 1 boy and 1 girl a 11 yr old girl myown ds 9 and ds 11 they all love it playing with the resources helping me out with the other children and also they want to help push the buggy home great as its mostly up hill:clapping: :clapping:

miffy
30-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Meet the children first and find out from them and mum what they like to do - it might not seem so daunting once you've met.

The four week settling-in period is a good thing to have - it gives you chance to see if things are working and a quick get out if they're not.

Good luck

Miffy xx