PDA

View Full Version : Child Care Mag/Publications

Heaven Scent
30-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Just thinking now that I'm getting back on my feet after my very lean year that I would now start getting a couple of mags again but I don't want to sign up for a year just yet and was thinking of ordering them into my local news agents (FAO AJS - its just across the road between Ceramic Experience and the entrance to the Summerfield and in front of the pub :laughing: )

I was just wondering how much each one is an which one you prefer - and whether its monthly or weekly - If you pay annually the price is on the front cover - I'm in a tizz - I now get Montessori International @ £5.00 every 3 mths and used to get Childcare paid in advance for that - Oh What to do? What to do??

Thanks

madredann
30-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I subscribe to Nursery education plus it is excellent has brill on-line support too(scholastic)

Heaven Scent
30-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I subscribe to Nursery education plus it is excellent has brill on-line support too(scholastic)

How much is that? n how often

madredann
30-01-2010, 01:46 PM
It is a little expensive but if you subscribe you often get an incentive - free books etc. It is monthly http://www.scholastic.co.uk that is main page and then click magazines. Loads of activities links to EYFS and planning it helps make things a little easier sometimes their are codes in mags will have a look and let you know of any in a mo

sillysausage
30-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I get creative steps but that is only available for a years subscription (about £25 for 6 issues). It's very good as it has craft ideas for all ages.

madredann
30-01-2010, 02:02 PM
It is expensive dont think I paid that much last year, the beauty is I suppose that you would get plenty of material if you just subscribed for a year and then re-used it. The only code I have come across so far is L295 at checkout that will get you some free stickers. That has to be used before 28/2/2010 though. I will have a look see if I can find any other codes

jumpinjen
31-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I now get Montessori International @ £5.00 every 3 mths
Thanks

If you join the Montessori Schools Association at this link:

http://www.montessori.org.uk/msa/msa/schools_registration

I stated that I was a childminder using Montessori theory in my setting, then you get the magazine FREE every quarter :clapping: and you get a discounted rate should you want to go to any of the seminars in London and refresh your knowledge (They are brill.... I go 2/3 times a year and put it down as an expense!!)

Now you can afford another subscription!!!!!

I have just signed up for nursery world at £47 for the year DD but it was a special offer, if you signal an interest to them about joining but then say it's too much but can you be on their database for further offers, they keep sending you cheaper and cheaper offers until you bite!!

Jen xx

MrsT333
31-01-2010, 08:24 AM
If you join the Montessori Schools Association at this link:

http://www.montessori.org.uk/msa/msa/schools_registration

I stated that I was a childminder using Montessori theory in my setting, then you get the magazine FREE every quarter :clapping: and you get a discounted rate should you want to go to any of the seminars in London and refresh your knowledge (They are brill.... I go 2/3 times a year and put it down as an expense!!)

Now you can afford another subscription!!!!!

I have just signed up for nursery world at £47 for the year DD but it was a special offer, if you signal an interest to them about joining but then say it's too much but can you be on their database for further offers, they keep sending you cheaper and cheaper offers until you bite!!

Jen xx

iv just checked out this site....it looks good, i also like the look of the mag, so im signing up now
thank for that!

Carpet Monkeys
31-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me when the next issues of Nursery World and Child Care are due in the shops please? Quite fancy having a look through them.

manjay
31-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me when the next issues of Nursery World and Child Care are due in the shops please? Quite fancy having a look through them.

I have recently had my Child Care through the post so the new issue should be in the shops now. Nursery World is weekly but not sure what day it arrives. I have just cancelled my Child Care subscription as I flicked through this issue and it didn't interest me at all. However I think that is now because I am looking at the publications from the point of view of a student and the material is not suitable for my needs. I prefer EYE at the minute and quite often pick up Nursery World.

Pudding Girl
31-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I think Childcare could do so much more but I still get it for the pullout pages. I get NW too when I am attracted by the main feature but I don't rate it at all generally, not like how it used to be 8 years ago.

I get Creative Minds free with my MM insurance and that is fab.

Interested in the Montessori mag, going for a scooch.

**ETA - if you click the magazine tab at the side is a free trial issue banner, click that and you can save it as a pdf to your PC :)

dobby
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Childcare magazine does like to hear from readers about the magazine contents and what folks like/dislike/would want to see included so it is worth letting them know. The pull out pages were redesigned from the January issue onwards to contain more "quick and easy" activities and clearer linking to EYFS so let them know what you think :)

You can contact them here
http://www.professionalchildcare.co.uk/contact.shtml

jumpinjen
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I signed up for Nursery World but haven't had a copy yet.... my local shop doesn't have any in stock to browse and select..... If I'm driving in to town to view them I might as well pay for one a wekk after parking charges and petrol!!

jen x

miffy
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I get Creative Steps but sometimes buy other childcare magazines if I'm in town.

Miffy xx