View Full Version : Data protection and photographs

11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi all I have just joined my local childminding group and been told that photographs come under the data protection act no photographs are to enter your computer to be saved or even printed unless you have paid £35 to register with data protection, same as using photographs of minded children on your websites, also any photographs taken must developed within 7 days and deleted from your memory card, or if you have a film developed the negatives are to be given to the parents or you must prove that you have destroyed them:(


11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
oh i didnt know that. thanks for putting that to light hun.

i undrstand why they saying it etc but why do schools get away with it ? (i know we sign consent form as does our parents)

well least i know for when i start, so how u do u do this £35 to register with data protection thing then do you know?

11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Is this for real?


11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
My understanding is that you do not have to register unless you keep information of a sensitive or personal nature about children's health, behaviour or development on your computer. This comes from a recent letter from Sue Bishop, Information Officer with the NCMA.

If you are concerned you can take advice and request the forms by calling the Notification Helpline on 01625 545740.

Hope this helps :D

11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Sarah - will take a look into this


11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
And if you do take advice please let us know what they say

Miffy xx

11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd be interested to know too.:)

12-03-2008, 06:48 AM
I am always hearing different sides to this

How are we expected to know things when we are told different all the time

Yes Lana let us know if you call that number

I have heaps of stuff so im obviously doing it all wrong ha

Angel xx

12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
You don't have to register, there is a checker somewhere that I posted, will find the link and post it here in a tick.

12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
This is what I posted on the other thread:

Just a little reminder, if you are going to keep parent and child information on your computer you need to consider how the Data Protection Act affects you.

There is information here on a government website, and a quick check questionnaire to see if you need to inform anyone:

Data Protection website (http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/logicToolStart?type=BLTTOOL&itemId=1077731033&r.l1=1073861197&r.l3=1074450564&r.l2=1074448560&r.s=e)

12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I knew if you keep any records on computer you have to registered with the data protection and I think there is a fee but news to me about having to develop pictures within 7days as I keep photos forever before finally printing them off.

Avril x:)