PDA

View Full Version : need help

beccas
29-01-2010, 08:49 PM
hi i need help planing a mathematicla activity using firemen i have a 30 mnth old who loves these so want him to start counting he can recite numbers in order but does not count objects.

i have planned to make card puppets with him of firemen pictures. sing the song 5 fire fighters. but what else could i do with my planing how could i set it out parents want to take it to his future teacher to show what i do and how i can show them what he has learnt, want it to look good. iyswim

The Juggler
30-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about him counting yet if not yet 3.

My nearly 3 year olds are only just getting 'counting' proper (counting one object for one number).

It's more important to just do lots of practice and ask lots of questions, when they see things and 'count' them together to show how to do it.

If they are reciting in order that's a good grounding I would work on them practising that and modelling the one-for-one counting for them to follow - it will come in time.

So a game where you count something together - a fireman with number 1 on and then he has one child/helmet with him. fireman with number 2, he has two helmets/children (maybe things they might have rescued - cats???).

Or maybe this fireman is number 1, can we get him one xx get them to actually bring you the items counting them for them, check you have enough with you counting again??

To support counting you could do matching, with either colours - colour hats and jackets and match them up or put numbers on the hat and jackets so they match up the same number.

Or, different size fireman and line them up in size order smallest to largest etc. great for supporting maths development.

are you getting a fireman in???
Outside your activity, outdoors is good, chalk numbers on patio slabs and you have to jump say 3 times on the number 3, move to another number etc.

madredann
30-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I find a nice way to familiarise children with numbers is to put them on the wall. I make a number line so in this case would use firemen/women and put numbers on them, laminate and with a bit of bluetak(or double sided scellotape) stick them to the wall the children love picking them off and moving them next step could be a number line 0-5 at the top and another mixed up underneath and they have to order them correctly. they could have different coloured hats or boots to help them recognise the colours too. When they get to nursery/school it encourages them to look at what is around them to help with letters and numbers
Julie

beccas
30-01-2010, 10:15 AM
thanks for this. very helpful