PDA

View Full Version : Sparklebox

nokidshere
29-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I have recieved this letter this morning from Wiltshire EY& childcare about Sparklebox (which I use sometimes):

I am writing to advise you that the Local Authority and SWGfl have made the decision to block a website called sparklebox. I have copied you the most recent press statement from SWGfl relating to sparklebox and recent events with this site.

As an Early Years and Childcare Service, safegaurding children is our highest priority and as a service, supporting our most vulnerable children, we do not wish to have any affiliation with this website. I understand that it has been promoted during early years training courses and events but a decsion has been made that we, as an authority, will no longer promote this website or use its materials and resources with immediate effect.

Sparklebox will continue to be blocked to schools by SWGfl pending further investigation into copyright and data gathering aspects of this and satellite sites. I encourage all early years settings to do the same.

I am aware that blocking this site may be frustrating for some areas of our service, who have enjoyed using the materials, but in light of recent developments I feel the decision is the right one.

blah blah

This is the first I have heard of any problems - anyone else know any more?

OH!!!! Found another bit that was stuck in the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It says.....

A Mr S K.... who has been a shareholder and director of the company that owns childrens learning materials websites such as sparklebox was convicted last friday of being in posession of indecent images of children and sentanced to 12 months in jail and put on the sex offenders register for 10 years:eek:

beccas
29-01-2010, 01:21 PM
yes theres a post on here about it have a look search sparklebox and you will find it.

sarah707
29-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Please see this thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=35

nokidshere
29-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Please see this thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=35

oops sorry

was editing while you were posting - should I delete this then?

sarah707
29-01-2010, 01:47 PM
oops sorry

was editing while you were posting - should I delete this then?

No it's fine for now - Pauline can make that decision!

Pauline knew people were bound to ask which is why she pinned the thread about it. :D

Shirlwith3
29-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I got the same letter too.

Pauline
29-01-2010, 03:22 PM
It is ok Nokidshere, it is not always easy to see the announcements about it.

I want to get the message out there about Sparklebox, but don't want a discussion about it, for the reasons explained in the announcement.

So I will leave your thread here for information but also lock it so that it can't turn into a discussion :)