PDA

View Full Version : schemas

jaytravis
29-01-2010, 01:06 PM
schemas confuse me
i mind a boy who is nearly 2 he seems to be abit behind on his speech but he loves to post things i have a liitle letter box and he would sit posting all day if he could he also likes the toy drill when it has batteries in he will sit and ut the end on his face and head just feeling the vibration
how can i move him on from this and is it a shema
thanks

sarah707
29-01-2010, 01:18 PM
There is something called a boundary schema when children enjoy things like...

- Posting letters;

- Playing on the doorstep rather than in or out;

- Using threading cards or threading beads;

- Wearing hats and putting things over their heads / hands etc.

You can extend it by eg making a post box out of a tissue box to feel inside. That can become a sensory or shape activity then.

He might like a tunnel or tent outside as well.

If he likes vibrations (the drill) he might also enjoy musical instruments or playing with balloons...

Watch this one carefully though, especially as you say his speech is slow.

Very often children with hearing conditions like to feel vibrations. Have parents taken him for his check? Was there a problem? Does he have a lot of colds?

Hth :D

jaytravis
29-01-2010, 01:33 PM
thanks he has lots of colds he is very short sighted wears glasses very clumsy i look after another boy who is a montn youger and the difference is unbeliviable,i know all kids develop different but i have always wondered if there was something wrong but i just cant put my finger on it
his parents are abit without sounding horrible a bit drippy and it took them ages to take him to get his eyes checked
also he is terrffied of sellotape esp if you are pulling some off

sarah707
29-01-2010, 01:45 PM
also he is terrffied of sellotape esp if you are pulling some off

Maybe the noise frightens him!

It might just be at a pitch that grates... like chalk on a blackboard or a fork on a plate.

I think after what you've said that he needs his ears checking.

hth :D