PDA

View Full Version : help!

mushpea
29-01-2010, 12:34 PM
ok i posted about this particular child last week, he was just sittin on the carpet pushing a toy bus around himself and did this for quite sometime, i only have him 2 days a week, yesterday he sat with a musical toy pressing the same button for a good half hour and today he has stood at the toy kitchen not moving for a good half hour, yes i know i shouldnt leave him that long and encourage him to play with somthing else but i wanted to see what would happen if i just left him and am doing written obs on him, he is still just standing there yawning, he is 3yrs and hasnt had a sleep for ages and uses the yawning as an attention comforting thing. if i try and engage him in a toy he just sits and stares at me yawning and if other children are there he will sit in the middle of the floor playing with one toy watching them , they have even ran over him before with a toy puschair and he hasnt moved!!
i have tried various toys, puzzles, activities, outside play and music cds and dvds and nursery rhymes but am now stuck for ideas of how to engage him in play , any ideas please?

RainbowMum
29-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I have one little girl a bit like this - but get her outside & she is much better x

mushpea
29-01-2010, 12:42 PM
have tried this but he gets in the cozy coupe car and dosent move!! didnt have it out one day, he hunted high and low for it then sat on the bit of path where he last sat in the car and stayed there till we went in!!!!

sarah707
29-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Does he know how to play?

If you sit with him all jolly round the sand and make a sandcastle, will he copy you or just stand there? :D

The Juggler
29-01-2010, 02:07 PM
thing is normally I would say if the child is concentrating and focused on the button pressing of whatever, leave them to it as they are clearly exploring some kind of learning.

But, if he's just gazing off into space and not focusing on the toy or you when you talk to him I'd be worried. Its highly unusual for a 3 year old to sit that still for that long ,especially when not focused on an activity.

I'd be a bit concerned about it. is he like this at home?

mushpea
29-01-2010, 04:52 PM
tried talking to nan about it when she picked up but she just says its because at her and mums house he only has a very small space to play in so thats why he dosent move around and that the tv is on all the time so he plays whilst watching tv, there is no tv on at mine so he feels lost!!
there is no 'get up and go' about the family so i wonder if its that as they have no energy about them he dosent either and that he is used to just sitting there or if there is more of a problem to it, he does go to leap frog but i have no contact with them as they are a fair way from me and i dont collect from there and the parent dosent see theres a problem so not sure what to do or how far to take it realy