PDA

View Full Version : minding nieces and nephews long question sorry

dizzycatmojo
29-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi every one. I have just sent in my registration and luckily I have just had an enhanced disclosure done for guiding so that should speed up the process! I have two teenage daughters aged 14 and 15. My sisters have asked me to mind there children it will be school run for three of them one aged 5 and two are 7 nearly 8, my youngest niece is 18 months old and her childcare will be three mornings a week all year. My sisters are fine with signing contracts for the care of there children and I am looking forward to minding them all especially my 18 month old niece. The other child I have had enquiries about is a friends son who is 10 and the care will be the occasional school pick up and maybe some after school care and holiday care but nothing regular. My main worry is that the only child I have had enquiries from is over 8, will I still be able to start childminding as I wont have a non relative in the EYFS stage? or do I have to wait until I have a child that is not related who is under 5. I will obviously be advertising my spare places. :) Lisa.

beccas
29-01-2010, 11:12 AM
if ofsted come out and you still havent got any children that are not relatives i wouldnt say anything.

Pudding Girl
29-01-2010, 11:13 AM
You won't be stopped minding no, the powers that be I am sure are aware that in this business you cannot force people to use your services, I think it's more that you have to be shown advertising for non family members and willing to mind them. Even if you had 4 non family potential mindees visit there's no guarantee they will sign is there?

Sorry hope you made sense of that?!

haribo
29-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi, as long as you intend to mind non family too i cant see a problem . good luck with it i used to mind just my nephew it was fine -that was well before eyfs though :rolleyes:

SandCastles
29-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Don't worry - I had an awful inspection in June (still recovering I'm afriad) and was only minding my nephew who was 18 months at the time, I didn't say he was my nephew and all his EYFS paperwork and parents questionaires etc.. didn't state he was family. She didn't ask, but commented that he was settled and we interacted together very well, which went in my favour.

dizzycatmojo
29-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Thank you I had thought of not stating they were family but obviously if asked directly I would be honest, and yes I will be advertising for mindees anyway I'm not going through all this just to provide childcare for my sisters I was reluctant to agree to it in the first place, you know what thy say about family and business :laughing: also the older boy who is not a relative will be on my books I just wont be minding him very often. :)

Mollymop
29-01-2010, 03:57 PM
as everyone else has said, it will be fine. I used to mind my niece and nephew as well when I first started:)