PDA

View Full Version : hall divider

terrydoo73
29-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I have a hall which is shaped a bit like a Z - the top part leading to bathroom and the kitchen and the bottom to my daughter and our bedroom. So the kids have the long bit to play in - I sometimes put a tunnel and a tent in this part as it is ideal size wise.

Lately my 4 year old mindee has been using the small bit outside my daughter and our bedroom - the darkest part of the hall! She has been hoarding toys down here and a few have got broken with the others trying to get them off her. I do not mind so much but would prefer to see her playing if you know what I mean! She is really hoarding the toys but not actually playing with them.

How could I divide the hall off from her doing this? Obviously using boxes with lids is not going to work as she will just use the boxes to close herself in this area. I do have the Argos cubby hole system and could put wheels on the 2 x 2 cubby hole system I have then put boxes in the holes but hubby pointed out that she will pull the boxes out and climb through the hole thinking it is great fun! I do not want to put another gate on this end of the hall but would love something to make her stop using this section of the hall. Any suggestions?

Mouse
29-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Could you use something like a room divider

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0178107/Trail/searchtext%3EROOM+DIVIDER.htm

You could even display pictures etc on it and it would fold away when you don't need it.

Pudding Girl
29-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Sorry but it sounds like a gate would be the easiest option really. Cheap too.

terrydoo73
29-01-2010, 12:28 PM
No a folding screen wouldn't do - I have 2 very boisterous twins that I mind as well and it would be knocked down or broken in no time. My hubby also said to put anything like toys or the cubby holes would just give them (the twins) more of an opportunity to climb on top, through etc.

I know a gate would work but it is a rented house and am trying to avoid anymore drilling etc.

Will really have to think about this - I wonder would a little house maybe stuck down there solve the problem?

sarah707
29-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Lots of children go through phases of hoarding toys.

It's especially common when it's your child and you are minding others.

They want to keep those toys for themselves in a world where they must share.

And yes, they very often don't actually want to play with the toys, they just want them!!

It's telling that she's going somewhere dark as well. She wants to be alone and cosy.

I'd give her a blanket, cushion and toy basket, put them where she wants to be and let her do what she needs to do for now.

These phases pass :D

haribo
29-01-2010, 01:58 PM
have you got a tent you could put up there , sounds like she wants a bit of space to herself .

mamasheshe
29-01-2010, 04:25 PM
both my dds 2& 4 the 4 year old not so much now like to but things in handbag and carry them round the house maybe she would like doing this to and believe me their is a limit to how much you can fit in a handbag

loocyloo
29-01-2010, 05:57 PM
i was thinking it sounded like a good place to make a cosy den, put a tent, etc

maybe you could put some torches there for playing with, and make it a 'dark den' area?