PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up to increase numbers

grindal
28-01-2010, 07:25 PM
My friend phoned me today. She has been to see a childminder who is happy to look after her one yr old for 4 days a week. Friend also has a 4 yr old who goes to playgroup. Childminder has agreed to collect her son from playgroup but as this will put her over her numbers she will get a childminder friend to come at lunch time and stay with them for the hour she is over numbers. Both would then be collected at 1pm. She has assured my friend it is OK (she has also assured her Ofsted would give her a variation to cover the situation aswell). I have never heard of this before and it sounds very un OK to me. Does anybody have any views/experience of this? She told my mate Ofsted have told her it is perfectly OK

venus89
28-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Idon't know the proper answer to this but it sounds like her frien is effectively being her assistant for that one hour? And if so, wouldn't she have to go through the kaboodle of making that proper?

mamasheshe
28-01-2010, 07:33 PM
which childminder will the 4 year old be registered to then ??

grindal
28-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes - but I dont think that was what was explained to my friend. It may be her intention - perhaps I will suggest she finds out.

mum2two
28-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Regardless of whether she has her friend there or not, she would need a variation from ofsted.

She either needs to have a variation to allow her to have 4 under 5's in the house, or a condition on her certificate, allowing her to work with an assistant, and increasing her numbers.

Without either of these written on her certificate, regardless of whether her cm friend is there or not, she will be working over her numbers, and therefore have no insurance.

xx