PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old wandering outside!

patconn2
28-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Have just spoken with a desperate grandparent, her 2 year old grandson was wandering on the street outside his child minder's garden by another parent. The childminder didn't know he was gone :eek:
I spoke to the grandparent the other day as she is going through her registration. She had said that the children were not settling and they were possibly stuck in front of the telly all day. The older one has never even brought home a painting or anything he has made.:(
I obviously don't know the other side of the story, but goodness me, they don't even know how long he was out there.
Am I right in saying that if the mother takes the children out of that childcare, she would not be in breech of contract? Surely the childminder has not fulfilled her side of the contract by not ensuring the childrens safety! They plan to make a formal complaint.
Makes me very cross:censored:

Trouble
28-01-2010, 03:47 PM
i would be getting on the phone to ofsted

it makes me mad too:angry: :angry: :angry:

miffy
28-01-2010, 03:48 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Thank goodness he was found by another parent - anything could have happened.

I'm not sure about the legalities of breach of contract but under the circumstances and with an independent witness (parent who found him) I don't think the childminder would have a leg to stand on.

Miffy xx

Helen Dempster
28-01-2010, 05:50 PM
That makes me go all goose-bumpy - poor little mite, anything could've happened to him, doesn't bear thinking about does it?

It doesn't do much for our (good childminders) credibility either does it? :angry:

Zoomie
28-01-2010, 06:11 PM
My friend once witnessed a child (abt 3) running across a busy road and I witnessed a child wandering alone (def same child as same area) up the path once. A grown up came out of a house about 30 seconds later.

I have since found the person is a childminder and the mindee was her grandson :panic: :panic: :panic:

Jessicasmummy
28-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I am so shocked to read these comments! I didnt think there would be childminders out there like that??!! I find minding other people's children such a huge responsibility I worry to even nip upstairs to the loo leaving them unsupervised! ok so maybe I'm a bit ott with my worrying, but children being outside on the street!!!!??? i cant get over that!:eek:

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi Pat, I'd encourage granny to call the CC and make an official complaint. That story could have ended so badly :(

I think I would pull out my child and yes while the CM may take them to court for the notice fees I doubt they would get them in the circumstances actually.

patconn2
29-01-2010, 09:49 AM
The mum has spoken to the care commission and it is being followed up. They are coming to see me today.
Mum said the chilminder made it sound like it wasn't a big deal:eek: I bet she did, she must know it will be followed up. Now I am doing intense settling with 2 little ones till the grannies registration comes through.

Mollymop
29-01-2010, 10:27 AM
That's terrible, she shouldn't be a childminder - she doesn't know how to look after children if she lets them wander outside on their own or they have access to outside...doesn't she keep the door locked and supervise the children? Obviously not.

Hope someone reports her, makes me so cross x

Pudding Girl
29-01-2010, 10:47 AM
That's good Pat, she'll be getting an unannounced knock on her door next week then! Hope she doesn't wriggle her way out of it.

Good luck for settling in :)

caz3007
29-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I cant believe the childminder wasnt really bothered by it.

If one of mine had inadvertently got out, I would have been mortified, so upset and wouldnt have been able to apologise enough. Mind you I keep my front door locked and my back gate is bolted and locked too, and the children dont really have access to it anyway.

I just dont believe some people

It's a small world
29-01-2010, 12:25 PM
How did the child get out :eek: I have a chain on my door..as soon as mindee arrives I unchain it and as soon as parent goes chain back on . I cant believe cm didnt think it was a big deal...:angry: what if someone had walked off with that child or even if the child had run into the road(as that age they dont understand strangers or road safety.:angry: Would she be concerned then??

patconn2
30-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Children came with their granny today, very happy if a little boysterous. Cco visited the childminder and her assistant, who is also her mum, has been suspended!! Apparently it was the assistant who was watching the children while childminder was at the dentist! The plot thickens!
Granny also said that sometimes there a 6 or 7 children under 5 :eek: I don't know how many she can have with her assistant but that seems a lot. Cco has warned cm about numbers, which will be lower now she has no assistant!
Makes me wonder if we are not getting a true picture. No wonder assistant didn't notice one was missing if she had all those to look after !

Pudding Girl
30-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Blooming heck, that's opened a right can of worms hasn't it? Do let us know what happens if you can?

Zoomie
30-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Why do children have to come to you instead of just straight to the granny.

Surely she doesn't need to be registered to look after her own relatives ?

patconn2
30-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Why do children have to come to you instead of just straight to the granny.

Surely she doesn't need to be registered to look after her own relatives ?

She works and can't afford to give up unless she has another income. Think the plan is that she will look after the 2 children and earn an income from the other 4 places. Mum claims tax credits so has to be someone registered to pay them, she can't pay the granny out of her own pocket and can't claim tax credits for granny looking after them.
Mum is coming to see me on Monday, will let you know what the latest update is.