PDA

View Full Version : The cup of tea /coffee debate!!!

childmind04
28-01-2010, 02:48 PM
We have just had to sign a new contract to use the room at our childrens centre for our drop in, one of the new rules is no hot drinks :rolleyes:

Now for me i am not a huge tea drinker but some of the others do like it, today it felt a bit strange not sitting having a cuppa together as a group, we never really sat and chatted it was just like being in room playing with the children :(

Apparently the manager of the centre had a meeting last week with ncma and they said we should not have them when we are working :eek: i know a lot of groups dont allow hot drinks but in your home following basic safety surely that should be allowed???

It will be cold food only soon ;)

Allie
28-01-2010, 02:54 PM
NCMA have this rule in groups all over the country, as for in your own home just follow sensible rules about keeping hot drinks away from children. Beware when you have visitors that they are equally careful. Ofsted are very poor at keeping their own hot drinks away form children, so I always give them a cold drink and point out this is for safety reasons

Allie

Trouble
28-01-2010, 02:57 PM
surely if they are up high out of the way it is ok??????

i gave my ofsted inspector one and he was fine with it surely it ok with ncma???

at playgroups you can have a cup of tea:D

PixiePetal
28-01-2010, 03:02 PM
At the local childrens centre it is no drinks in the room we use for play so set aside a time go to another room for drinks and snacks, all have what we want and clear it away. Then back to play.

I don't drink hot drinks but I am sure some friends would not function without their coffee/tea!

When anyone comes and I make hot drinks, I put it on cupboard out of reach of children and say 'it's up there, be careful'!

Allie
28-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Apparently it failed the risk assessment:( :(

Allie

mamasheshe
28-01-2010, 03:55 PM
in our local sure start center at cm meetings they have a mini kitchen fridge/kettle/sink/microwave penned in by stair gates so you are allowed tea coffee but only in the pen it does look a little strange but safe (children aren't allowed in this area )

Kes
28-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I think in a childrens centre as your there such a short time would'nt bother me. However when I'm in my house and have mindees all day I will be having cups of tea it's just a case of common sense and having them out the way. i think its a case of health and safety who knows what health problems it would cause me if I did'nt get my daily caffeine hit.:laughing:

nikim
28-01-2010, 04:02 PM
our childrens centre use travel mugs with lids, they stay cold on the outside and if they get knocked over the contents seep out slowly so less chance of a child being injured, they have also been kind enought to issue all the cm one to use at home :clapping: best thing is they keep your tea hot for ages :clapping:

TheBTeam
28-01-2010, 05:17 PM
We have tea and coffee in the cups with lids, it taste so plastic many people only want the one, we had a huge issue/debate with ncma and the compromise was the cups with lids. I personally could go for the morning without a hot drink, but there are some that need 2 or 3 in this time, so this is what we do.

I will not have one at home though, we take sensible precautions as to where it is placed and when it is drunk!

flora
28-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I am sorry but this is crackers.

If everyone is aware of keeping the drinks away from the kids then whats the prob?????

Don't get me wrong I know hot drinks are a hazard but I have never known one to hurt a child in that sort of setting.

childmind04
28-01-2010, 06:25 PM
It is the whole center so even the toddlers groups etc are all stopped, we suggested lidded cups and there is also a kitchen area that can have a stair gate put on but they said no!!!

They did say we could take our breaks in the staffroom :laughing: , not sure who will be looking after the children mind!!!

It was nice after doing a 4 minute school run then down there it was nice to get a warm drink to get you thawed but hey ho silly rules again ;)

Also we cant take photos of our mindees with our mobiles in there which really got my goat as i got my phone purely for the camera so it was alwasy on me!!! this apparently is from the dcsf after the nursery workers as there is a nursery in the same building:rolleyes:

Carpet Monkeys
28-01-2010, 06:49 PM
our childrens centre use travel mugs with lids, they stay cold on the outside and if they get knocked over the contents seep out slowly so less chance of a child being injured, they have also been kind enought to issue all the cm one to use at home :clapping: best thing is they keep your tea hot for ages :clapping:

I use travel mugs from Starbucks, and the best bit is you can decorate the inner lining. I'm planning on putting photos of the kids doing cool things for Mrs O when she comes ... however, I do need some lo's to mind before that!!

miss mopple
28-01-2010, 06:56 PM
we've just been told no hot drinks at one of our local groups as we are there to work not drink coffee and natter :angry:

I fully intend taking a flask and lidded cup if I go again. I refuse to be dictated to. I run my business not my DW and I wont roll over on this one.

jo f
28-01-2010, 06:57 PM
We'd have to ask our parents to pick their children up for us to have a brew break!!!!
:idea:

At our local childcare centre in the childminders group we could only have brews near the kitchen area, health and safety milarky. I can understand as I have seen many a brew left on the floor near chairs as adults tend to the kids.

beccas
28-01-2010, 06:58 PM
We have just had to sign a new contract to use the room at our childrens centre for our drop in, one of the new rules is no hot drinks :rolleyes:

Now for me i am not a huge tea drinker but some of the others do like it, today it felt a bit strange not sitting having a cuppa together as a group, we never really sat and chatted it was just like being in room playing with the children :(

Apparently the manager of the centre had a meeting last week with ncma and they said we should not have them when we are working :eek: i know a lot of groups dont allow hot drinks but in your home following basic safety surely that should be allowed???

It will be cold food only soon ;)

My network moved because they said no hot drinks and no TOAST we are a morning group and the kids like toast with their fruit etc.....

they were providing food carrot sticks cucmber pepper and humous...... we had babies from 3 months upto 3 yr old children they couldnt possible eat this.

Blackhorse
28-01-2010, 07:20 PM
this is bonkers.

but the subject has reminded me.

can anyone recomment a good lidded keep warm cup???
I wold love to have one!

Twinkles
28-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh they wouldn't like me without my coffee :panic:

ORKSIE
28-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh they wouldn't like me without my coffee :panic:

How many do you have on an average day?

I have about 5 ish:rolleyes:

sweets
28-01-2010, 09:48 PM

about 5 for me too!

one of the toddler groups i go to is in a room thats hired privatly by a few childminders and we make brews there and have them sat down while the children are playing, everyones careful and just uses common sense.

at another group i know the minders split into 2 groups and take turns at going out for a 10 minute coffee break while other minders watch the children.

Twinkles
28-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Actually I drink 'bout 5 mugs of tea and 2 -3 coffees :eek:

ORKSIE
28-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Actually I drink 'bout 5 mugs of tea and 2 -3 coffees :eek:

:eek: :eek:

Do you have a down stairs loo:D

Twinkles
28-01-2010, 10:04 PM
:eek: :eek:

Do you have a down stairs loo:D

I have been told I have the bladder of a truck driver :eek: I just hope he never wants it back ! :laughing:

ORKSIE
28-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I have been told I have the bladder of a truck driver :eek: I just hope he never wants it back ! :laughing:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

I have the bladder of a camel:D

miss mopple
29-01-2010, 08:25 AM

I average about 7 cups :blush:

ORKSIE
29-01-2010, 10:55 AM
And may I ask Miss Mopple...What type of bladder do you have ?:laughing: :laughing:

Pudding Girl
29-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I use travel mugs from Starbucks, and the best bit is you can decorate the inner lining. I'm planning on putting photos of the kids doing cool things for Mrs O when she comes ... however, I do need some lo's to mind before that!!

oooh I like that idea, and any excuse to go into Starbucks ;)

miss mopple
29-01-2010, 11:26 AM
And may I ask Miss Mopple...What type of bladder do you have ?:laughing: :laughing:

One made of steel :laughing:

SandCastles
29-01-2010, 11:28 AM

I use one of those at home, I don't like cold tea and it keeps it hot for ages, I make one before the school run and it is waiting for me as soon as I get in. I still keep it away from lo on a high shelf just in case.

Ripeberry
29-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I went to one playgroup (not been back) where they all put their cups of tea on top of a piano, with a tempting plate of biscuits. Now that would be OK, but for the fact that the piano was covered by a cloth that could easily be pulled by any child.
I pointed it out to them and they said that no-one had ever had a problem, well it only takes one child to attempt it :angry:
My risk assesment of the group was...."too dangerous due to hot drinks in unsafe places"
What really annoyed me, was that the village hall had a massive kitchen where they could see the children, but they could not be bothered.

polly0
29-01-2010, 11:42 AM
If we are not allowed hot drinks how are children ever going to know how to behave near a hot drink. I find it utterly ridiculous, surely its common sense, we know the safety issues with hot drinks, most of us have brought our own children up and not managed to scold them with hot drinks!!!:mad: :rolleyes: How do the children go on at home when their parents have hot drinks!!!!:rolleyes:

mandy moo
29-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I have 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon, coffee that is,
prehaps Im not normal:D