PDA

View Full Version : another odd question from me..

Blackhorse
28-01-2010, 01:08 PM
if you are a newly registered childminder (or even when not) and say you find out you should be recording/ documenting something that you werent aware of before would you

start recording what you found out needs done and when CC/OFsted asks you you told them that is when you found out and since then you were keeping records, but you dont have it for the weeks/months before as you didnt know

or

would you start recording AND make up records for the past so they wont know.

I know this might sound dodgy but I am worried that I will get marked down for something that I might not have been doing from the one but later found out to do...iyswim
or are they happy if you yourself identify an area where you can improve and then show how you implement it??

Can you tell they scare me? especially since my CCO has left and I have no idea who will be coming to do my inspection!! and it will be my first one and i am in a panick about my paperwork or lack thereof!!! What frightnes me is that there is stuff I just dont know about!!

beccas
28-01-2010, 01:12 PM
i would start from when you found out and tell them you were unaware you had to do this untill the date you started.

sarah707
28-01-2010, 01:17 PM
What didn't you know about and how easy is it to backtrack?

do you have some records and need to enhance them or would you be starting from scratch? :D

Lady Haha
28-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I had this last year with two mindees in reception at school! I didn't realise then that I had to be working to EYFS with them until Feb! They had been coming to me for nearly five months by then! I hadn't done any obs at all! Luckily I take pics ALL the time of the mindees and I had plenty that I could 'observe' from dating back to the September before! :laughing:

So, although I didn't 'make it up', I was very creative with how I planned their next steps at the time! Backdating obs over five months is not something I ever wish to do again!

singlewiththree
28-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I normally just make a note at the beginning that I wasn't aware before then I was meant to do x. There are times when I have lost my daily risk assessment book and when I find it again I just write, misplaced book and start writing again under that.

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 01:36 PM
No don't make things up. Just do it from now and onwards and jsut explain that nobody made you aware you should have been doing xyz.

What is it you are thinking you should have been doing, if I can help PM me x

mama2three
28-01-2010, 02:44 PM
i know what you mean , i wasnt signing out my nursery child when they went to nursery and came back , just at the end of the day. I havent changed the previous months but have started doing it from december. Hope i wont fall down on that though.

mamasheshe
28-01-2010, 04:00 PM
i would start from when you found out and tell them you were unaware you had to do this untill the date you started.

ditto xx x

Alibali
28-01-2010, 06:43 PM
CC love the fact that you have identified something and made changes to rectify it:thumbsup:

Just start from now.

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 06:45 PM
CC love the fact that you have identified something and made changes to rectify it:thumbsup:

Just start from now.

They certainly do, it's one of the markers they look for in giving out 6s, that you review, reflect and respond.

Blackhorse
28-01-2010, 06:47 PM
ok, well I am glad to hear this..
what confuses me and I think sometimes being on here doesnt help reading all the EYFS things

what child specific paperwork do we need? I dont mean policies and permissions etc
but things like all about me, daily diaries, observations? I am still clueless and confused and there wasnt much good info on the induction training either.
spoke to my CCO and still unsure as didnt get a straight answer

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 10:05 PM
There's no EYFS style observations/folders I know of that we HAVE to do, by all means do some if you wanted to though :D

I have an all about me type thing that parents fill in that I file away (after reading of course) with their personal info. I take photos for each family but also put copies in the big photo album and have some on the wall.

Diaries, when I had my last two insp I hadn't got any families using one, they didn't want and were happy with verbal feedback. CCO wanted to see that I offer info to parents in a way that suits them.

CCO will want to see that you communicate with the families and ask their views, so noticeboards, questionnaires and newsletters are good as are regular reviews with them and also reviews and improvements to your P&P, proformas, setting, equipment, everything really!

Gizmo
28-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Fire drills was the thing that I hadnt done and at the last course was told we had to do them ( hadnt been told this b4) I asked my cm group what they thought and was told to make some up :eek:
I wont do this,I started fire drills last Friday and if I get marked down for it so be it I never knew I had to do it before

I agree with you Blackhorse if you ask cdo a question you dont get a proper answer :(

Blackhorse
28-01-2010, 10:43 PM
thanks Pudding girl...I am actually doing most of these things....so that makes me feel better.

MY parents dont want a daily diary but now one LO is getting one from nursery so it will be a shared one.
I havent got an all about me file....maybe there is a thought....

I do newsletters and hand over chats etc. With one of the busy mum's I will email her a lot too to keep her up to date and let them know things.
would you keep some of these emails as evidence ? the one's I wrote to her? or are they confidential?

I have done a couple of fire drills and I test the fire alarm regularly but I keep forgetting to write it down. that was the main reason for asking..if you know you have done something but you dont remember when is it ok to make it up and say it was on certain dates...