PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Of Your Parents Stay Long When Picking Up?

Michelle M
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Just wondering if any of your parents stay for a cuppa and chat, when they come to pick up their children from you.

One of my parents (dad) can stay up to an hour, just pulls up a chair and sits down! I don’t mind having a chat but an hour, just because he doesn’t want to go home before collecting mum from work.

Michelle xx

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Not on your nellie!!!!

Twinkles
11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Not usually. Some of them stay sometimes but not on a regular basis. I think I'd get a bit peed off with him tbh.

Rubybubbles
11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
In a word NO:laughing: :laughing: far to busy, sorting my own out, if he want to wait for mum, then they can request more hours:thumbsup:

I do get on well with one of the mums but she sometimes comes round in the evening for a bottle (or 2) of wine:D

Michelle M
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
I am and so is my hubby :)

But I think I am being a bit rude, getting the chils cat on and ready and shoving him out the door as soon as dad arrives!

And just latey the mum calls me Auntie Michelle and I dont know this person apart from minding their child, an we have been invited to their wedding later in the year, I just think its getting a bit too personal.

I thought I was over reacting :blush:

Michelle x

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
No Michelle you're not over-reacting. I've been to the odd christening for siblings of ones I mind, but not stayed long and not really tried to get into their family circles etc.

I certainly wouldn't encourage someone to stay longer than a few businesslike minutes! As soon as parents arrive, it's coats and shoes on, quick chat, then me and my family time.

I would seriously consider suggesting to parents that they need to change the contract like rubybubbles says, as the hours obviously don't suit any more :D

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I never let the parent's get comfortable. I chat for a few minutes and then if they don't start making a move, I get the child's coat and put it on them telling them it's time to go. Not had any problems yet.

Pipsqueak
11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
They don't get the cuppa but they certainly settle in!!! Been there done that got it down from an hour to about 45 mintues so far

nell57
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I used to have one dad who would come in shut the door behind him, then stand talking in the hall way for half an hour, not even about lo he was picking up. So started to sus what time he would arrive then have lo ready to meet him at the door before he step foot inside.

Helen

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
No way my parents all pick up from the porch don't even come in the front room.

Lorraine xx

jackie__1981
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
It quite funny reading this, I used to have it from the other perspective.

When my lo was with his childminder I would drop him on a morning and she would stand at the door talking to me, I would be like, I have to go the bus is due!!

And on an evening she would stand at the door again and thankfully most of the time my lo would start stressing because he didnt like sitting in his pushchcair so I would say we have to go! Maybe she just wanted some adult chat lol.

Angela234
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't mind 10 min chat when they pick child up if i'm not in a rush if i am rushed i would say so. My parents are very good they want to get home after working anyway

Angela

Banana
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
First time its happened to me today lol - although I didnt give a cup of tea :D

Lo was asleep in his buggy when she arrived and she asked ' well do you mind if I just sit and wait rather than wake him' emm.. Yea I do actually cos its my afternoon off - still, didnt say that, I said yeah ok - cos im a mug

x

tulip0803
12-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I had one family like this. So I charged them until they left my house on over-time rates, they stopped quite quickly.

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 06:10 AM
I have one parent like this and I dont even invite her in so I get really really cold at the door even drop hints etc but she still does not go ha

Angel xx

gailee
12-03-2008, 07:56 AM
omg no all my parents just linger in the hallway! there here what 10 mins max even my own brother didn't linger to much, eager to get home himself! i wouldn't offer a cuppa you're making them to comfy :panic:

gailx

disney
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
i used to have a parent a dad who would come in start chating and most :angry: he would have his work boots on in my soft floor playroom . and other parents once stood at my door talking for 45 mins .

yes i like to be freindly but im so tired when the end of the day comes , that i wrote in my news letter to all the parents that no one is allowed to come in with their shoes on , and that 5 muins chats are all i can give at hometime unless they would like to make an appointment to discuss an issue .

used to be soft , now im starting to run it like a business and it is working so much better . i can even talk about money now . pointed out to parents that what i put in my news letters i would really like them to carry out my requests unless they have a good reason not to . so far every one has worked wih me :thumbsup: x

lizzymoonshine
12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes i like the newsletter idea, its on the to do list,

at least you can state your wishes in your newsletter and its general to all parents and not just aimed at one inparticular, so noone can be funny!

after hours is your time, and by gum some days we are ready for home time!

:)

avril
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
One partent use to get a bit comfy and child would play up not wanting to go home so now I have her coat/shoes on and ready to go as the doorbell rings. I have my own children to sort out don't have time to sit and natter at that time of day!!

Avril x:)

Pudding Girl
12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Seems to be all the dads ;) must be a foxy bunch of Childminders here ( what am I saying, of COURSE we are!!)

Not had that problem yet, parent's are very busy people, both running their own business so time is money to them as well. I also put in my policies that pickups had to be brief ;)

miffy
12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I think I'm awful when I get cross with a parent who arrives 5mins early but then messes about and ends up leaving 10 mins late!

I'd never cope with an hour - try adding it onto the bill it might stop him!

Miffy xx

Lou
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I have got one arriving at 2pm who will chat for ages, i have to literally edge her out the door!!!!

I wouldnt mind but while she is chatting her child is trashing my house, and getting EVERYTHING out, also always needs a poo, and guess who has to take her!!!!

manjay
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I tell all parents that handover must be quick as I have other children to look after. I am sure they would not like it I was to leave their child to it's own devices while I stopped and chatted on the doorstep. It is usually my own ds who is climbing on the kitchen table but I still need to look after him too. As soon as the doorbell goes they mindees go to the porch to get shoes and coats on. Once the front door is opened I stand strategically in the doorway to the hall so they can't get past!!

Gosh that sounds really harsh doesn't it? Have to say I would have been a right pushover if I hadn't have had lots of advice from you guys ;)

amanda xx