PDA

View Full Version : Your own children's sickness

Ripeberry
27-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Yesterday I was minding J for over 10hours and when we went up to the school to collect my eldest daughter, she had just thrown up all over the classroom carpet whilst they were lining up to leave the classroom.
Got her home and straight up to bed with a bowl and away from mindee.
Luckily he is not coming until Friday, so if it is the vomiting bug then it will be within the 48hrs.
BUT, my other mindee was due to come tomorrow for 5hrs after school. I only have her once a week.
I rang her parents to warn them that there is 'sickness' in the house,they said they will keep her home tomorrow, but it is still annoying losing the income :(
I don't know how really busy CMs manage if their own kids or even themselves are sick, they must lose loads of income.
Everything is being anti-bac at the moment and I'm keeping her upstairs where the mindees don't go anyway, but if I'm expecting them to stick to the rules then so must I :rolleyes:

Blackhorse
27-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I think that is probably one of the hardest things...you feel bad because you have to let down parents...at very short notice at that and you also loose income..at times quite substantial.

I meant to put money aside for occasions like this but havent managed so far. I really need to get my finger out to get this organised as otherwise I will be stuck.

I have also started taking echinacea and trying to boost my immune system with lots of healthy food to try and avoid getting ill.
I used to never be ill much but since I started minding i had lots of stuffed noses...runny noses...and general colds. Nothing drastic apart from my supposed swine flu....but I picked up a lot from the kids (they werent ill enough not to come and I wasnt ill enough not to work but it was still annoying)
I hope that this is just like that at the start and maybe once I have been midnding longer I will have built up my immune system against all their we bugs etc!

miffy
27-01-2010, 09:51 PM
It's a tough one but you made the right decision.

Hope your dd feels better soon (and the rest of the family don't get it)

Miffy xx

mumx3
28-01-2010, 01:12 PM
It is frustrating.

I have an Illness and Infectious Disease Policy, that lists the exclusion periods for each illness. I tell parents that if my children (or I) have one of these illnesses then it is their choice to send the child (and take the risk) or keep them at home. If they keep them at home then I dont charge (obviously).

It is a hazard of the job, but think of all the money we save all year from not having to pay for childcare for our own children whilst we work. Swings and roundabouts!

singlewiththree
28-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been "lucky" so far in that my DD was sick in the classroom while sitting next to mindee!! I told his mum when she came to pick him up but he didn't catch it but seeing as he is in her class she said he could still come so I didn't lose any income :)

Tired
28-01-2010, 03:46 PM
my daughter was sent home from school today cos she threw up.
Was horrified when the school called, cos my car is off the road and its a 40 min walk, with the double buggy and bike attachment.
however, a friend was volunteering at the school so kindly brought her home.

i texted all the parents, saying they could come and get their children, but not one did so!