PDA

View Full Version : Charging a full day for before/after school?

button68
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
My cousin phoned me today for advice. Her friend has used the same childminder for 3 years full time - anyway her daughter is due to start full time school in september so she asked her childminder if he is happy to do before and after school care.

Childminder said yes but I'll still have to charge you a full day!

Am I the only one who thinks this is out of order. The little girl will be a 'rising 5' and will free a place for her to fill in her 0-5 bracket so how is she losing out?

The mum has smelt a rat, hence why my cousin phoned me.

Angela234
11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't charge for a full day and i wouldn't pay for a full day either i would look for another minder

Angela

Trouble
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
my after school children are only charged for the hours they are here

if their at nursery it changes

but i dont think she should be charged for all day:panic:

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
i dont think you could possibly get away with this unless you were really lucky/naughty???!!!! if the child is freeing a place up then you can only charge for afterschool.. however, if she wanted them to go to this childminder for holidays as well and the childminder didn't want loads of kids so was saving the time for these children then i would understand.
xxxx

Twinkles
11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I think she's trying it on. I don't know anyone who charges all day when the children are in school. If they are only doing mornings I can understand that because they are still in the under fives catagory.

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
That's disgraceful! Your cousin is right to question it!

People like that give us all a bad name :(

peggy
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
My cousin phoned me today for advice. Her friend has used the same childminder for 3 years full time - anyway her daughter is due to start full time school in september so she asked her childminder if he is happy to do before and after school care.

Childminder said yes but I'll still have to charge you a full day!

Am I the only one who thinks this is out of order. The little girl will be a 'rising 5' and will free a place for her to fill in her 0-5 bracket so how is she losing out?

The mum has smelt a rat, hence why my cousin phoned me.

God yeah, well out of order! As you said the little girl is a rising five it free's up her under five space!!!! The Childminder could be on a winner here if she fills that space as well!

Rubybubbles
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I think she should phone the NCMA because I was under the impression you ARE NOT to charge when they are in full time ed??

nell57
11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Sounds like she definitely trying pull a fast one, surprised she thinks she can get away with it.

Helen

button68
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
God yeah, well out of order! As you said the little girl is a rising five it free's up her under five space!!!! The Childminder could be on a winner here if she fills that space as well!

That is exactly what I was trying to explain to my cousin.

ruby
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
we can see why your cousin is question it

we have never charged if they are in school only the hours back and forth.

Cathy

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
That's is well and truly out of order.

Pipsqueak
11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I think that is out of order.

The only time I would charge (and it would be half while they are at school) is if I was the first point of contact and was responsible for the child and expected to attend school if necessary iyswim. I always point out to parents in an emergency/urgency (as I only live 5 mins from school) that I will always go to collect the child if I am needed but in no way can I guarantee that I could always do this.

Cheeky so and so.

Annie_T
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
thats wrong.
he can only charge for hours he actually has her surely.
i wouldnt pay it either.. if he dont back down id take her else where (thats me not her - its up 2 her end day)

Banana
11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Thats totally unfair

No - its not ok for her to charge a full day - tell her to get a new minder!
x

miffy
11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't believe that this child minder hoped to get away with this unless they don't understand the rules themselves

Let us know what happens

Miffy xx

Blaze
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I would charge for the whole day only if the LO was at school in the mornings only...so in effect still taking up one of my under five spaces...once they are at school full time then it's hours before/after only!
Tasha:)

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
There is all us here always dreading to ask for our fees when they are late - yet you get someone like this ?

I think she is trying it on also

I would find somone new

Let us know what happens

Angel xx

yummymummy
12-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I had something similar in so much as the little one was just 4 and going to school and this is the problem with them being sent to school so much earlier and childminding places being restricted to 3 under age of 5. As I needed to keep the same hours I suggested after school club, but they were not allowed to take them until 5, what a joke! So this government wants children to start school earlier but has not changed childcare provision to fit in.
Do you think this childminder means full fee until the child is 5? It does seem a bit much, I would never suggest full fee but in the case of my little girl I just couldn't keep her as she was taking a full time place for 2 hours only.
It is hard on both parent and childminder to know what to do for the best, perhaps your cousin should contact other childminders to see what they can offer. :)

manjay
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't pay for a full time space if my child was at school all day. I have a situation at the moment where I have a 3 year old who is only with me before and after school hours. He goes to playgroup, then paygroup plus where he eats his lunch and as everything is in the same building the staff walk him to his afternoon school session. I charge half for the time he is out of my care as he prevents me taking on another child. Once he goes to school full time in September I will only charge the hours he uses.

amanda xx

susi513
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I have heard of this before but I assumed it was because the childminder was mistaken in thinking the child would be taking up an under fives place or got muddled up when colleagues had said they charge while a child is at preschool, assuming this also applies to school

Tell your cousin to tell her friend to explain that her child will be counted as an over-five when at full-time school. While the child is at school their space cannot be used for another child as all the other children over 5 will also be at school. The under fives spaces are not affected by this arrangement. Therefore there is no justification for a charge. Hopefully, when armed with the facts the childminder will rethink her charges. If not then the parent should rethink their choice of childminder IMO.

disney
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I know its our business & our rules to a degree , but this child minder is wronge and very unfair . i really dont know how she has got the nerve to ask for payment all day , i think its crual to the parent . i hate it when im being taken for a fool from a parent but this is worse the other way around as it gives us bad names . :angry: i dont understand her need to charge she could fill that place in the day x

buildingblocks
13-03-2008, 07:01 PM
At the end of the day it is her business so I guess she can charge it if she wants to. But personally I think it is morally wrong if the child is taking up an over 5 space.

Does she charge this for all over 5's (would be interesting to know) I do know that there is a childminder in Scunthorpe that does this - I also know she lost a parent because of this.

I am the emergency contact for a couple of my over 5's but i wouldn't charge all day for that space even then as it is an over 5 space so not taking up a full time one (does that make sense)

yummymummy
14-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Ooh, see how useful this website is, I thought if they were under 5 but at full time school they would still be using up one of your valuable under 5 places!
:blush: