PDA

View Full Version : multicultural resources

louised
27-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Where can I get my hands on multicultural books toys etc, I'm being inspected on monday so I need to be able to purchase them over the weekend so online isn't an option. On looking at my last report one of my recommendations was to get more multicultural resources something which I haven't done as I was not expecting my inspection for another 6 months

beccas
27-01-2010, 07:34 PM
go to your library borrow some books with different cultures in also disabled people in have a good root through all the childrens books and see what you can find. i have pmed you

nannymcflea
27-01-2010, 07:37 PM
If you can get to mine you are welcome to borrow some. Am not minding at mo but will need notice to sort through garage boxes!

We are just over the A66 at Brough.

Would like them back at some point or might be willing to sell some, took me ages to get them together and I might childmind again.(though not if hubby has his way!)

harrysgirl
27-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Not sure...? Only place I can think of right now is maybe if you have a local Oxfam - they usually stock a range of multicultural items.
Ooh yes, & when I went into John Lewis the other day they had a great card game with pictures of children from countries around the world which I thought looked good - will definately be buying it after pay day!

jo f
27-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Think simple, they don't have to cost a fortune
books to think about...
Balamory
Postman pat
Dora
Topsy and Tim
tend to all have multicultural characters in and some cover disabilities aswell

Toys
duplo characters,
barbie dolls/action men
Elc did a good set of characters for their happy land range- think about £6
(dont forget to take your registration certificate and get a 10% discount card)

I don't think you need loads- get charity shop hunting! x

beccas
27-01-2010, 07:51 PM
heres a few things to print off and use they are lots of different things as its a buddist festival on friday i have included a temple pict to colour in maybe have a few stuck up hope these help they were just on computer

louised
27-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys for being so kind, will have a look in town and also see if I can find some buy it nows on ebay so they arrive in time. Big thanks to Becca you are a life saver

clorogue
27-01-2010, 08:14 PM
heres a few things to print off and use they are lots of different things as its a buddist festival on friday i have included a temple pict to colour in maybe have a few stuck up hope these help they were just on computer

Thank you - I found that very useful!!!

carlen222
27-01-2010, 08:14 PM
on sunday night i placed an order with amazon and they arrived today!!!! heres the titles i bought

dont call me special-a first look at disability
the skin im in-a first look at racism
come eat with us! discovery flaps by oxfam
come and play with us! discovery flaps by oxfam
come home with us! discovery flaps by oxfam

the last 3 mention foods/play things/ houses from all over the world. i purchased them with my inspection in mind lol xx

clorogue
27-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Where can I get my hands on multicultural books toys etc, I'm being inspected on monday so I need to be able to purchase them over the weekend so online isn't an option. On looking at my last report one of my recommendations was to get more multicultural resources something which I haven't done as I was not expecting my inspection for another 6 months

Get varying colours of 'skin colour' card and let the children make all sorts of faces, different hair, eyes etc

sarah707
27-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Lots of activities and free resources on these links :D

Multicultural resources

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41&highlight=multicultural

Disability resources

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40&highlight=disability

Multicultural / disability links

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=211&highlight=multicultural

Chell
27-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Handa's Suprise and Handa's Hen are lovely books, my own children love them.

The Child's Play Sign Along books have images of children from various backgrounds and also images of disabled children.

What about puppets?

Multi-cultural items with your play kitchen, perhaps laminated pictures/menus, balti dishes, woks, etc.

Languages - Usborne do flashcards, books, etc.

Art materials - crayons, paints in colours for different skin tones.

miffy
28-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Someone posted this link on another thread

http://circletimestore.com

Miffy xx

louised
29-01-2010, 12:53 PM
just been to my local surestart and raided their toy library, got some fantastic multicultural musical instruments and a lovely set of ethnic dolls so I think I'm set for Monday

PixiePetal
29-01-2010, 12:59 PM
on sunday night i placed an order with amazon and they arrived today!!!! heres the titles i bought

dont call me special-a first look at disability
the skin im in-a first look at racism
come eat with us! discovery flaps by oxfam
come and play with us! discovery flaps by oxfam
come home with us! discovery flaps by oxfam

the last 3 mention foods/play things/ houses from all over the world. i purchased them with my inspection in mind lol xx

I have all of those too! :thumbsup:

HelenJC
30-01-2010, 10:29 AM
You only have to show that you have access to these resources and show how you would go about accessing them.

We would all need to have bigger houses if we had to have everything.

You could share resources with other childminders or be able to borrow items from your resource centre, toy library, children's centre etc.

Point out that you celebrate festivals and customs at the relevant time - Chinese New Year for now.

Don't panic though. You will be covering the essentials without realising it. You just need to show how.