PDA

View Full Version : Inclusion

cwilcox19
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I have been told I need to include an inclusion policy - its similar to equal opportunities but I am not sure what to put in it.

Anyone know what to put in it?

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Hello and welcome!

There are some excellent policies here -

www.bromleycma.org.uk.

Hope this helps! :D

button68
11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Never heard of an Inclusion Policy but when I read your thread the first thing I thought was my Equal Opps Policy.

What's the difference?

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:42 PM
It's inclusion with EYFS - Principle into Practice 1.2 - Inclusive practice. Equal opps is, I think (but don't quote me as I may be wrong) a bit old fashioned now...

Like child protection changed to safeguarding. :D

button68
11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
It's inclusion with EYFS - Principle into Practice 1.2 - Inclusive practice. Equal opps is, I think (but don't quote me as I may be wrong) a bit old fashioned now...

Like child protection changed to safeguarding. :D

Sorry Sarah, but can my policy's stay the same but I'll just 're-brand' them? A bit like 'New Labour' ;)

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
I am using a combination of the welfare standards and the Principles into practice cards to re-write mine - but I'm not finished yet!

There are some bits that are different, esp an insistence on us all being accepting of children with English as a 2nd language and some stuff about encouraging boys and girls equally...

I'm still ploughing through mine tbh, but that's what I've spotted so far :D

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I didn't know this. Only just updated my policies. Looks like I'm starting again. :rolleyes:

Kelly
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I have previously printed off the NCMA inclusion handout the link for it is:

www.*************/download/bs9.pdf

But my inclusion policy is written around the principle that, in order to offer each child an equal opportunity to grow, develop and learn it is essential that children are treated differently and adaptations are made to work practices to meet the individual needs of each child and that each child is treated with equal concern and consideration

Kelly

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
That is a good handout... I wonder if NCMA are going to re-write it for EYFS?

You make a very good point there about treating children with equal concern which is slightly different from treating them equally... :D

cwilcox19
11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey thanks everyone I think I understand it now - I'm going to mention it in the euqal opportunities policy - as long as it is mentioned sureky this must cover it.

Kelly
12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
You can have an Equal Opportunities and Inclusion policy but try to be clear on on the inclusion part. You will need to put inclusion in the title of the policy. There is loads of things on the internet, but inclusion is about equal opportunities for all children and about promoting the practice that will make it reality. I recently read an article that said 'the development of inclusive practice in EY settings is about creating a secure, accepting, collaboratng, stimulating community in which everyone is valued'.

OK I like inclusion..... :laughing: :laughing:

Kelly

Tatia
12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm doing a TMA for Open U at the mo about inclusion. One thing I haven't seen stressed but I added to my paper is age difference. It's easier or nurseries and schools to be inclusive because they don't have age differences to take into account! But childminders are masters at adapting an activity to suit not only a range of abilites but also a vast range of ages.