PDA

View Full Version : Do people think they are all yours?!

Tatjana
26-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Was at a childrens centre session this afternoon with 2 mindees and ds2 and a lady asked if they were all mine...my own son is of dual heritage but alot of people think he is white, 2 mindees are black, one very dark skinned. I have no idea how she thought they would all be mine?!

Bearing in mind i'm also pregnant, I do wonder what was she was thinking?! :laughing:

xx

FussyElmo
26-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Oh yes I especially like it when people say dont they look like each other errr no :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
26-01-2010, 09:37 PM
yes, I have had this with 3 white blond mindees when I have black hair (well bit grey now - lol). Also, are they twins, one dark as night with curls and the other white blond.....:laughing: :laughing:

bless they are probably just trying to make conversation

suez
yep, i get it all the time, i have my own ds 3, mindee 3,mindee 2.5,......all boys n i get asked that lol :laughing:

It's a small world
Oh yes I especially like it when people say dont they look like each other errr no :laughing: :laughing:

My friend has 2 mindees who actually do look alike...both petite and curly hair.......:laughing:

Tatjana
26-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Aren't people funny?!

Well at least i know why i get funny looks now, dh says guess they think i've been around :blush:

xx

sweets
26-01-2010, 09:46 PM
i went to a park last week with two minder friends and we all had 3 LO's with us so were surrounded by 9 children! we got some funny looks :laughing:

TheBTeam
26-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes quite often, but i often have children that look like they could be mine!:eek:

One time I had 7 children with me 6 of them were white and blondish brown and differing heights, so could have been mine, but what got me when asked if they were all mine were that one roughly in the middle height wise was black jamaican!, not sure what they thought I had been up to as my dh was with me and he is white too, we just said 'yes' and left them to it!

I have two completely non related boys that up until the last couple of months looked very very similar and people that knew them got them muddled up and people that didn't thought that they were my twins, one has had his hair cropped so looks quite different now.

helenlc
26-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I have one mindee who is blond and fair, one who who is mixed race and one who is black.

I do get some funny looks!!!! You can see people trying to work it out :laughing: . Its even funnier when I am also with my husband (white) !!

Last year, when I met the lovely Ross Kemp, I forgot to mention that I was a childminder - I had with me:
My niece - dark hair and olive skin
My DS and DD - both fair skinned and dark blonde
A mindee - mixed race
Another mindee - olive skin and dark hair
Twin mindees - both fair - one with curly hair, one with straight!!!

:laughing: :ROFL1::D :ROFL1:

The next day, I got on the bus with all the above and the driver's face was a picture as they all strolled on in front of me. I did tell him they were not all mine!!!

Gizmo
26-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I get that a lot my dd 2 1/2 has blond hair and 3 yr old mindee has black hair dd is about 3 inches taller and they look NOTHING like each other and the amount of times I have been asked are they identical twins eh no then I get oh I didnt know you where preg again when they see the baby in the pram oh he looks like you mmmmm no hes not mine, fun will start again in 2 weeks when the new baby starts, best of all she is the daughter of our minister :laughing:

diddledumplings
26-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I get it all the time and I don't mind when people are generally being nice and trying to make conversation in a queue or something. But had one experience when I'd got my LO at 2.5 and my nephews at 2 yrs, 18 months and 6 weeks (my sisters had gone to the loo) and was getting their coats and shoes on to leave soft play and I overheard a woman say something about how I'd "not left much time" to her friend and she replied that "its easy when the state provides for them" :angry:

I marched straight over to the table and gave them what for, telling them I was a qualified childminder and it's not easy to look after and bring up a child regardless of whether the parent is working or not and receiving benefits or not. Some people eh!

nannymcflea
26-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I think it's nice when people ask, in a nice way and when you tell them that you are working, they comment on how well behaved they all are.:thumbsup:

I did have one moment where I nearly lost my rag, I was walking past a cafe when an old lady said "ooh she's got one darkie"...I had a boy and a girl, one of mixed heritage but both about the same height and looked the same age. She had obviously said it for me to hear but I was professional, I did not call her the old cow I thought she was I just held my head up and carried on. I was fuming though,rude old hag.:angry: even thinking back on this makes my blood boil.

helenlc
26-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I think it's nice when people ask, in a nice way and when you tell them that you are working, they comment on how well behaved they all are.:thumbsup:

Me and my friend (another CM) were at soft play last week. Just before we left, one of the mums we got talking to realised we were CMs.

She said I never would have guessed you two were childminders. When my friend asked Why? She said because we treated the children with us as if they were our own.:D

We both came away feeling quite pleased with ourselves!!:thumbsup:

mumof1
26-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I get some funny looks from ppl, when i worked as a nanny i had 4 girls, one of which is my own dd, i used to get ppl stopping me and asking if they were all mine. Im 27 years old but ppl do say i look far younger, so maybe they thought i was very young to have 4 children lol

Also it is always elderly women that ask lol

emmadines
26-01-2010, 11:59 PM
all my mindees wear high vis vests with the settings name on it, when we go out. so i hope they dont assume they are all mine! :S

loocyloo
27-01-2010, 12:24 AM
i was out with 3 this morning ( 2 1/2, 18mth, 15mth but a variety of heights and colouring ) and i was asked if they were all mine ... i said no, i borrow them! she then asked if they were sisters, i said ''no'' '' are you sure? '' ''yep'' !!!:laughing:

Monkey1
27-01-2010, 06:58 AM
I was in town on our way to the park with about 6/7 mindees and my DD (eldest was about10 youngest 6 months) and i got really fed up with two elderly women talking behind my back saying things about the ammount of children. I just turned round smiled sweetly and said ''yes, before you ask they all DO have different Dads!''....turned back and held my head high with a massive grin on my face!...........well i wasn't lying!:laughing:

daisyboo1980
27-01-2010, 07:21 AM
when i was just starting as a nanny i was 20 i had a 6 yr,4 yr 3 yr and 3 month baby i had a lady in tescos come up to me and told me i was a disgrace and should get a job and stop breeding
her face was a picture when i said actual im a nanny u silly old lady turned on my heels and marched of with the kids lol

carol cameron
27-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I have been known to say "We haven't got a telly in our house. We make our own entertainment" and then walk away if I feel that someone is being nasty about the numbers of children with me (all mindees). I smile broadly though so they dont know whether to believe me or not and can't take offence !Naughty of me I know but fun!

hello kitty
27-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I had a mum say to me after she found out I was a cm that she had seen me at the local park with all the children and was stunned when I said it was time to go how they all lined up and left without a fight! She thought I was very well organised having 6 children who actually did as they were asked. :D

MrsT333
27-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I get it all the time when i have the double buggy.."what lovely twins!" theres 6 mths between my LO's.
I try and add into conversation straight away they are not mine...even about my own :laughing:

estrelas
27-01-2010, 09:54 AM
someone asked me yesterday actually
i had 10 month old and 2 year in buggy
two 5's and a 4
my daughter 6 and a 9 year old :eek:
i mean come on i'm only 31, i'd have had to permantly be in bed :laughing: :laughing:

haribo
27-01-2010, 10:03 AM
i had one woman say to me oh she is the image of her mummy isnt she -meaning a mindee :laughing: i didnt have the heart to tell her she wasnt mine :panic:

Lady Haha
27-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I get it all the time too when I have up to six mindees and my own son as well! People are funny sometimes!

The last time was at Christmas when I took six (inc son) to a Christmas party and Santa was there in his grotto. I decided to take the children into see Santa in pairs (I had an elf collecting the ones that had already been in and keeping them by the door for me, bless!). But Santa's face was a picture when on the third pair of kids going in, it was me AGAIN!!!!:laughing: I said 'They're not all mine!!!' to save him from asking!

Mouse
27-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I used to get it the other way round when I was out with my own 5 children. People would say 'they're not all yours are they?'. Apparently I looked to calm to have that many children :laughing:

I did used to look after a little boy who had very dark skin & hair. He was about the same age as my own very pale, ginger haired child and I would often have people saying how alike they looked! I just used to smile & say yes, but really wanted to say 'are you serious? Have you actually looked at them?'

sandy64
27-01-2010, 01:42 PM
theres always people who say are they all yours? that doesnt bother me what does is people saying how do you manage when they are being so good any way. i always feel like saying that i lock them in a cupboard but i then risk mrs o coming as someone may think i really :) do lol.

helenlc
27-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Had a new comment today!!

I was at soft play with my 3 mindees - one white, one black, one mixed race. I was also with 2 other CMs who had 3 (white) children between them.

As we were leaving, my friend heard a lady say to her friend "They've got a mix and match of kids between them". Her friend then replied "Maybe they are social workers":laughing: :laughing:

They obviously thought we were taking the poor little things on a day out!!

At least they though we were professionals!!!:D

ajs
27-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Me and my friend (another CM) were at soft play last week. Just before we left, one of the mums we got talking to realised we were CMs.

She said I never would have guessed you two were childminders. When my friend asked Why? She said because we treated the children with us as if they were our own.:D

We both came away feeling quite pleased with ourselves!!:thumbsup:

lol
i wouldn't be flattered if they said that
i am foul to my own children

i am often getting comments like ooh haven't you been busy
i just smile sweetly and say yes ( but it's true they do keep me busy)

Sarah Louise
27-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Another CM and I were in the local park when a group of young lads walked past and said "Jesus those two must never be off their backs!".

We didn't bother correcting them.