PDA

View Full Version : art material risk assessment??

carlen222
26-01-2010, 07:48 PM
hi, i am trying to put together all my risk assessments, i am wanting to do a combined one for art materials i.e. paint, pva glue, chalks, felt pens etc, any ideas as to what i need to include in it?? xx

Dragonfly
26-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Dont know that one, but would be intrested with otherspeoples replies. silly me hadnt crossed my mind art materials.

MrsT333
26-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I havent a risk assessmtent for art & crafts....it will be interesting to see if others are using 1

sonia ann
26-01-2010, 09:40 PM
this is mine ...

MrsT333
26-01-2010, 09:47 PM
this is mine ...

Thanks for sharing this.....i will do 1 now...hadnt thought about it before

Andrea08
26-01-2010, 09:53 PM
my god the world is going mad when we feel the need to do risk assessments on craft materials,,, dont bother and save ya ink hun, just remember to use paint that will easily wash out of clothes parents can be funny about their children having fun lol

sonia ann
26-01-2010, 10:06 PM
my god the world is going mad when we feel the need to do risk assessments on craft materials,,, dont bother and save ya ink hun, just remember to use paint that will easily wash out of clothes parents can be funny about their children having fun lol

I quite agree Andrea, .........having said that I have also got one for Play dough/ modelling clay:) we did them as examples on my RA session and I certainly wasn't going to get rid of them:)

miffy
26-01-2010, 10:10 PM

I agree but the wording in the eyfs does say everything the child comes into contact with .................:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing Sonia

Miffy xx

carlen222
26-01-2010, 10:16 PM
this is mine ...

excellent!!!!

have been reading these threads about all items child comes into contact ith have to be risk assessed and im going out my head here!!! so ive put together some ramblings, does anyone think this would be ok or not???

i honestly havent a clue about risk assessments and policies!!!

(have tried to attatch but not sure if sucessfuly!! bear with me lol )

sonia ann
26-01-2010, 10:20 PM
excellent!!!!

have been reading these threads about all items child comes into contact ith have to be risk assessed and im going out my head here!!! so ive put together some ramblings, does anyone think this would be ok or not???

wow I've scanned through quickly you've been very thorough:) You're fine well done, certainly got the right idea:clapping:

carlen222
26-01-2010, 10:21 PM
as long as im on the right tracks, cheers for taking a look xx

KAZBAZ55
30-01-2010, 11:20 AM
this is mine ...

Sonia you are an angel....thank you very much for that, I hadn't thought aboput an RA for crafts etc!!! Still not quiet got my head roulnd everything I need one for. Thanks again karen x
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Why is everyone going mad with risk assessments?

I am not being critical but over the last 18 months everyone has posted thread after thread about having no time with their families because of paperwork.

There is no call for ra's for craft or any play equipment, just the play areas.

zillervalley
30-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for sharing the r.a with us

I agree debbie that we maybe dont need them, but I must admit I had never thought about doing one, but as its been pointed out now i will most definately be adapting one for my setting.

I think it is a great idea , I like to be one step ahead

ziller

Hebs
30-01-2010, 06:43 PM
well i'm not doing one, and my ofsted inspector never asked for one :thumbsup:

sarah707
30-01-2010, 07:06 PM
well i'm not doing one, and my ofsted inspector never asked for one :thumbsup:

You were lucky!

A childminder round here was asked for one the other day and it's going to be noted in her report that she's not risk assessed her resources - all of them, not just arts and crafts!

The Eyfs says we must risk assess everything with which a child comes into contact so the inspector might look for it :D

Mrs Book
15-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Ok this is getting silly. I'm still catching up with policies & basic RA's.

Yes I understand that leaving a brick on the floor someone would walk on it etc etc. But aren't RA just common sense and just maing more paperwork.

tammys-tots
15-02-2010, 09:48 PM
hi, i am trying to put together all my risk assessments, i am wanting to do a combined one for art materials i.e. paint, pva glue, chalks, felt pens etc, any ideas as to what i need to include in it?? xx
Hi, sorry no :panic: have you got too much time on your hands:)

tammys-tots
15-02-2010, 09:50 PM
You were lucky!

A childminder round here was asked for one the other day and it's going to be noted in her report that she's not risk assessed her resources - all of them, not just arts and crafts!

The Eyfs says we must risk assess everything with which a child comes into contact so the inspector might look for it :D

if i did all my resources i would need at least a year off work lol

Allie
20-02-2010, 02:26 PM
OMG never thought of doing one for craft toys or equipment, better get it done ASAP

Thank goodness for this site

Allie

Tam's Tribe
20-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for sharing this.....i will do 1 now...hadnt thought about it before

Me neither . . . thanks for sharing Sonia!!

linda2girls
22-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Thank you everyone. I had no idea we needed one for resources/crafts. It seems so over the top, but I will conform.

Linda.

Ripeberry
22-02-2010, 03:23 PM
The whole point of craft materials is that apart from the scissors what harm could they do themselves...seriously?
The scissors are blunt, but they may give each other Mohican haircuts, the playdough usualy has tons of salt in it and they would spit it out pretty sharpish and if they do carry on eating it, they have no taste buds or are too young to have it in the first place.
Glue is usualy non-toxic, so apart from gluing their hair to a load of paper, what harm could they do?
The only R.A I'm doing is that scissors are kept away from the realy young mindees under 2.5yrs old.
We have enough paperwork as it is :(

monkey62
16-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks for sharing .. I have never thaught we need one.....

Poppins
16-03-2010, 11:01 AM
this is mine ...

thankyou for sharing yours with us,
it's true i havn't thought of one for art materials but i'm sure the more you have the more ofsted will think we have been thinking of everythin!!!

just never enough hours in the day

tracey36
16-03-2010, 11:58 AM
thanks for sharing yours sonia

sammie09
08-04-2010, 07:46 AM
excellent!!!!

hi sorry to sound cheeky but it isnt letting me open it is it possible to send it me in a pm as risk assessments are what ofsted pulled me up on on my inspection

Karaza
08-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Your ra's look good but not honestly sure if i want to go down the route of further risk assessments or not think ofsted have gone mad now :rolleyes:

Fabby
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I think both of your RA's are great and thanks for sharing, i will be taking some very useful info from them. Thanks again for taking your time to share :)

cas2805
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
OMG I hadn't thought of that either! Thanks for that, best get on with more RAs

babs
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
some might think its crazy to do risk assessments on arts and crafts but when i was doing easter crafts lo decided she wanted to eat pva glue off brush:eek: :eek: i only turned to help other lo as she had cotton wool stuck on her fingers ( hates to get hands dirty) turned back to see her dipping brush back in then into mouth...:eek: :eek: by the way she is nearly 3 and everything goes in her mouth but 1st time she tasted pva glue.. so i did a risk assessment have since slowly going though my resourses one by one adding a couple each night... when you start thinking ypur mind goes into over drive..

Carol M
23-04-2010, 01:13 PM
On a training course another setting told us about a child choking on Blu tac which was being used to stick posters onto the wall.
If nothing else, the process of risk assessing makes you think.
Thankyou ladies for sharing
Carol x

playdayz
15-01-2011, 07:30 PM
this is mine ...

hey guys, tryin to view links that people put on here but its tellin me i cant any ideas why?

thanks x

Pauline
15-01-2011, 07:33 PM
hey guys, tryin to view links that people put on here but its tellin me i cant any ideas why?

thanks x

It is because you haven't posted enough. See Member Information for full details of what happens when :)

playdayz
15-01-2011, 07:38 PM
It is because you haven't posted enough. See Member Information for full details of what happens when :)

oh right thanks pauline :) x