PDA

View Full Version : Multicultural Play food

HELEN10
26-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi anyone know where i could pick some play food and cooking utensils, wok, etc up cheaply? They seem very expensive to buy new.

Thanks, HELEN10

madasahatter
26-01-2010, 05:07 PM
If you've got an asian supermarket nearby they will have small stainless steel balti dishes that can double as a small wok. They are usually pretty cheap. Also good for other multicultural stuff too.
The plastic muticultural food is quite expensive for what you get, but all the normal educational suppliers will have it (Hope/SBS etc)

katickles
26-01-2010, 05:09 PM
If you've got an asian supermarket nearby they will have small stainless steel balti dishes that can double as a small wok. They are usually pretty cheap. Also good for other multicultural stuff too.
The plastic muticultural food is quite expensive for what you get, but all the normal educational suppliers will have it (Hope/SBS etc)

Morrisons do the balti dishes too :)

desiderata
26-01-2010, 05:19 PM
i got some from Wilkinsons last year.:)

carlen222
26-01-2010, 05:41 PM
i remember seeing ones on ebay a while back (pre-reg) went hunting for them the other night and theres none :( the only ones i can find online cost a fortune!!! thats a great idea about balti dishes!! cheers xx

jumpinjen
26-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I have some links for food made from felt for chinese new year.... dumplings and fortune cookies.... I have also made a pitta bread with tomato and lettuce from felt.... try searching on google.... the children also enjoy making things from salt dough and painting them!!

Jenni:)

miffy
26-01-2010, 06:19 PM
The pound shop have small balti dishes atm.

Miffy xx

Chell
26-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Multi-cultural play food is extortionate, as others have said I was going to look for some balti dishes. DH said he read about a child sticking chopsticks up their nose and doing serious damage so I'll avoid those. :panic:

I thought of cutting out some pictures and laminating them as menus to use with the toy kitchen to add some mulitcultural ideas.

HELEN10
26-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your replies, never thought about just buying small balti dishes, they won't be expensive.

Good idea about laminating food pictures Chell. Have a big Asian supermarket near me so will have a nosey in there too.

Thanks, HELEN10

carlen222
26-01-2010, 10:23 PM
ooh laminating!!! now theres a plan :thumbsup: xx

beccas
27-01-2010, 10:00 AM
if you want to buy balti dishes etc the best place would be a asian supermarket like pak if you have one near you they are brill and have lots of different things in.

HELEN10
27-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Thankyou Beccas.

HELEN10

Pudding Girl
27-01-2010, 10:39 AM
POUNDLAND HAVE A LOVELY CHINESE TABLE SET WITH CHOPSTICKS (SUPERVISION YES!) oops caps sorry! and a chinese tablecoth/napkin set.

I got chinese bowls and spoons free with my Ken Hom wok, and balti dishes from Poundland again.